The First PowerShot G7 X Mark III Specification List We've Seen [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’ve been sent what is the first Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III specification breakdown that we’ve seen. We expect to see this camera announced some time in 2018 and Photokina is the obvious time to do it, thought we cannot confirm that’s when it’s coming.</p>
<p><b>Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III Rumoured Specifications:</b></p>
<ul>
<li>24.1mp 1″ CMOS sensor</li>
<li>10fps</li>
<li>DIGIC 8</li>
<li>24-100mm f/1.8-f/2.8 Lens (4.2x Optical Zoom)</li>
<li>3″ Articulating Touchscreen</li>
<li>4K Video at 30fps</li>
<li>1080p Video at 60fps</li>
<li>Built in Wi-Fi, NFC & GPS</li>
<li>Announcement: 2018</li>
<li>No mention about DPAF for 4K video.</li>
</ul>
<p>If you <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/buyers-guide-category/powershot/">check out our Buyer’s Guide</a>, you can see that both the PowerShot G3 X and PowerShot G5 X have been around longer than the PowerShot G7 X Mark II, so we’re not sure what is going on with those two models. We’ve been told that only one “G” series camera is scheduled to be coming in 2018, and we continuously see suggestions that the PowerShot G7 X Mark II will be the next “G” series camera to see a replacement.</p>
<p>The PowerShot G9 X Mark III would likely come in early 2019 ahead of CP+.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Jan 21, 2015
privatebydesign said:
Photorex said:
Adelino said:
What differences are there from the II and the rumored specs?

24 instead of 20 MPixel
Digic 8 instead of Digic 7
10fps instead of 8 fps
GPS

Frank

And 4K video.

Other than processing speed what would DIGIC 8 bring over DIGIC 7? Sounds like the M2 version would be great for me, hopefully prices will drop once the 3 is out.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Adelino said:
privatebydesign said:
Photorex said:
Adelino said:
What differences are there from the II and the rumored specs?

24 instead of 20 MPixel
Digic 8 instead of Digic 7
10fps instead of 8 fps
GPS

Frank

And 4K video.

Other than processing speed what would DIGIC 8 bring over DIGIC 7? Sounds like the M2 version would be great for me, hopefully prices will drop once the 3 is out.

If you shoot jpeg's then the next generation DIGIC usually gives less noise in shadows and higher ISO's, if you shoot RAW the differences are normally trivial.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Hector1970 said:
I was tempted previously by the G7X Mark II
24-100 is a handy focal length.
Has anyone got one - is it any good?
I used to have powershots but the lens were forever getting scratch from having it in my pocket.

It is a great little camera. I bought one shortly after it came out and have made about five thousands pictures with it and some video. I leave my Rebel and now my 6D2 at home when I travel. It fits in my pants and jacket pockets. The lens retracts and is covered by a metal shutter when turned off. It is not quite as small as the S120 I used before it, but has a somewhat larger sensor to make up for that.

I print pictures from it on 13" x 19" paper, frame them, and hang them on my walls. They look great from normal viewing distances.

Yes, 24-100mm is a very handy range. When I got the 6D2, I got a 24-105mm kit lens, so with the similarity of controls and zoom range, I already felt at home with it mostly. The S120 had a 24-120mm equivalent range, but the larger sensor means I can crop the G7X II picture to match the 120 view and still have more pixels.

It will record positioning by pairing with your phone and getting the GPS from there. But I don't use that on long days of sightseeing, because it uses battery constantly from both devices.

Built-in GPS would be a tiny bit handier when traveling, but I don't miss that really. I just make an occasional shot with my phone and so I can identify the location later from that if need be.

The other main new feature is the 4K video, which I also don't miss. So I'd definitely buy the new model if I didn't already have version II, but I don't have interest in upgrading. I'll apply that money to another lens for the 6D2.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
sanj said:
djack41 said:
ZZZZZZZ.......Wake up Canon. The market for this type of product has been destroyed by iPhones.

Not completely.

No, the iPhone is a decent substitute for the run-of-the-mill point-and-shoots they used to sell in abundance. The G series cameras offer a lot more than does the phone. Not everyone needs, wants, or understands those differences. There are people who do, however. And the best cameras come only in the biggest models of the iPhone. Not all or us want to carry around a giant slab for our telephones. I have an iPhone 6S. If Apple comes out with an advanced model in the SE size, that will probably be my next phone. The 6S sticks out of my shirt pocket, but is OK. I'd rather have a size smaller. When I want to have a bigger screen, I use my iPad. I don't need anything in between. YMMV.

I use the phone like people used to use point-and-shoots. I use the G7X II when I travel. I shoot camera RAW. I have tried RAW software on the phone, and was not impressed by the results. I want a real zoom lens with at least moderate telephoto range. Faking that with a combination of a wide-angle lens and a normal lens is not the same thing. I want some level of manual control when I need or want it.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
stevelee, you hit the nail on the head. A relative suggested to me that I should get an iPhone so I'd get amazing shots like he was and that's after I've emailed him various photos I've taken. And he's a lawyer too boot so you'd expect a bit more grey matter. My only reply has been that his photos are great; I don't waste any time on the topic. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Maximilian said:
Looks like this could become my next p&s.
If it only had an (e)vf. :-\

I think they have other models in the same series that have viewfinders. Of course that makes them bigger, so not what I want for my travel camera.

The screen is like live view on my DSLRs. It is not always usable in bright sunlight. I shot video at a Blue Angels air show. I didn't want to stay glued to the camera, anyway, but watch the show. I wouldn't have used a viewfinder at all, and I couldn't see much of anything in the screen on my G7X II. So I just pointed it in the general direction where I was looking, and was able to get surprisingly good video to work with when I edited it.

Upvote 0