New Sigma Lenses Coming Q1 of 2015 [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>A reported roadmap for Sigma has shown up over at SigmaRumors.com. They’re told that Sigma’s 24mm f/1.4 ART lens has been delayed until Q1 of 2015. This has been a rumoured lens for quite some time.</p>
<p>Also mentioned are a 14-24mm f/4 Art which makes a lot of sense. Also mentioned is a 16-20mm f/2, which seems a bit constrained on the zoom range, why not just make a 16mm f/2?</p>
<p>Source: [<a href="http://sigma-rumors.com/2014/11/sigma-24mm-art-early-2015-rumor/" target="_blank">SR</a>]</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Canon Rumors said:
A reported roadmap for Sigma has shown up over at SigmaRumors.com. They’re told that Sigma’s 24mm f/1.4 ART lens has been delayed until Q1 of 2015. This has been a rumoured lens for quite some time.
Also mentioned are a 14-24mm f/4 Art which makes a lot of sense. Also mentioned is a 16-20mm f/2, which seems a bit constrained on the zoom range, why not just make a 16mm f/2?
Source: http://sigma-rumors.com/2014/11/sigma-24mm-art-early-2015-rumor/
Mmmmm, 16mm f/2 is fantastic for astrophotography IF: 1. it has no coma 2. It contains a flat element that supports a hood to protect from falling light

Upvote 0
tron said:
Canon Rumors said:
A reported roadmap for Sigma has shown up over at SigmaRumors.com. They’re told that Sigma’s 24mm f/1.4 ART lens has been delayed until Q1 of 2015. This has been a rumoured lens for quite some time.
Also mentioned are a 14-24mm f/4 Art which makes a lot of sense. Also mentioned is a 16-20mm f/2, which seems a bit constrained on the zoom range, why not just make a 16mm f/2?
Source: http://sigma-rumors.com/2014/11/sigma-24mm-art-early-2015-rumor/
Mmmmm, 16mm f/2 is fantastic for astrophotography IF: 1. it has no coma 2. It contains a flat element that supports a hood to protect from falling light

+100.
I'd just love a sigma 16-20mm f2 for astrophotography given it's priced below the 800-900 mark and meets the two criteria you mentioned

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
Woody said:
I am curious about the 14-24 f/4 lens. If it does not have a bulbous front element and has decent optical performance, I'm all for it.

If the Canon 12-24 is anything to go by then no.

It is curious that the 16-35 doesn't have a bulbous front but 12-24 does.

I wonder at what point in lens design the wide angle lens requires a bulbous front element?

But yeah, a 24-70/f2 would be much more exciting! :D

I believe the bulbous front element is more of a compromise than anything. At the wider side of things the angle of view gets bigger and bigger. If it had a normal front element it would need to get wider and wider. This would result in filter threads no one could fill and a super expensive front element. So I think they add the bulbous element to use less glass and keep the cost down while still being able to use those square filters with adapters. Realistically you would probably see bulbous elements starting at 15mm and shorter. Maybe if Zeiss made an otus 14mm they would keep it flat.

Upvote 0
It says the other rumored ultra wide zoom is DC, are they talking about the 16-20 f/2 or the 14-24 f/4?

Is Sigma just trying to make the fastest zoom lens ever, focal range be damned? In a previous interview I recall they were looking into what the optimal focal range was for an f/2 zoom lens. Maybe it's just those 4mm. Would be impressive nonetheless!

If it's a DC 16-20 f/2 then we're looking at a 25mm - 32mm range on crop which kinda misses the 24mm and 35mm boat but I guess it's about there. Could be useful I guess with such a wide aperture. But I feel like the already proven 18-35 f/1.8 has this general focal length covered on crop. They should just make it a 16mm f/2 and be done with it.

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
For all I care they can release just about any lens they want. They won't catch my interest in a serious way until they make headlines saying they've mastered the art of making a reliable auto focus system. That and measures taken to minimize the deviation between various copies - i.e. improved quality control.

To make me eat my words they would have to release a new 300-800mm. I'm willing to order a full crate of those to get me 1 properly working birding glass.

Upvote 0