New to Video - recommended cine lenses?

isquirrel

CR Pro
Feb 24, 2020
I have been into my Photography for 20 years or so. This week hopefully my new 1DX MKIII will turn up. I am getting more requests for Video than still Photography. I am going to have to learn the art of shooting Video asap.

I have a good collection of Canon L-Series Lenses but no Cine lenses. Can someone help recommend a good cine lens to start off with. My video work will be all close up, unboxing video's, new tech video all for my YouTube site.

Can someone explain the differences between Cine Lenses and normal still photography lenses please?

Jan 5, 2016
Can someone explain the differences between Cine Lenses and normal still photography lenses please?

There are good videos covering this on youtube. Off the top of my head:

1. Cine lenses from the same series / manufacturer are usually housed in identical shells (rings in the same place, etc) to ease switching them in a cine rig. This is part of the lenses being built for pro cinematographers, with rigs to control everything.

2. Have less focus breathing, that is the angle of view doesn't change (as much) when changing the focus distance.

3. Built to a higher standard, mechanically.

4. Much more expensive than similar EF lenses. E.g. the EF 85mm f/1.2 costs $1,900, while the CN-E T1.3 costs $3,700

As Kit wrote, you probably don't actually want cine lenses.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
I agree with every one else that it likley isn't needed in this case. If for some reason you decide you need to manually pull focus you can get geared straps that go around the focus ring that a focus motor can attach to. That still doesn't solve the issue of parfocal but depending on the lens that may or may not be much of an issue. It also doesn't solve the differences of T stops and F stops but for the most part that can be fixed fairly easily in post if you aren't pushing the dynamic range to the max. My advice is start shooting and take time to learn up on cine lenses. and then decide if you need them. If it turns out you need them just on rare occasions then rent them. Good luck and have fun.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I think what you want is a lens that is optimized for video, not cinema. One with a silent AF motor and with IS to reduce shake.

But first, use your L lenses, they are likely very good for what you are doing, far better than most. You will want a monitor of some sort assuming you don't have a person shooting the video and its a 1 person operation. A mic and boom or a clip on mic plus good lighting make for better looking videos. Put money there rather than into cine lenses.

Cine lenses are really for a whole different world than youtube video or wedding videos, etc.

Upvote 0