New Type of Camera Coming from Canon Ahead of Photokina [CR1]

privatebydesign said:
HarryFilm said:
Anyways, to the most glorious nation of CanonRumors, it looks like my European engineering sources SEEM to have paid off again in that a 2018 Photokina announcement seems to on the agenda for Canon for a XC-15 look-a-like with an INTERCHANGEABLE LENS and an enhanced ONE INCH 5.9K sensor (i.e. with almost the same resolution as new iteration of C700 camera) that IS basically an electronic shutter (aka mirrorless!) video camera and stills system WITH an end-user-purchaseable adapter for Full Frame EF lenses. The video will be cropped-from-middle-of-sensor 4K DCI (4096x2160)...BUT... the stills will be VERY NICE 5.9k quality!

I am still confused by what MOUNT is being put on the camera as it SEEMS it is an EF-S mount but with a 1 inch sensor. WTF? Price will be "Competitive" and WILL feature 4:2:2 10 bit interframe 60 fps video codec AND EITHER the 4:4:4/4:2:2 JPEG-2000 OR the New High Efficiency Still Image codec being bandied about by the MPEG-LA group. My sources still have some confusion as to which Still Image codec is being put on the camera!

This product was told to me as being a combination of 7D mk2 and XF-405 camcorder
BUT with interchangeable lens!

AGAIN, YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST !!!!!!

Or, we read it here ( https://www.eoshd.com/2018/04/canons-rival-to-the-gh5-leaks/ ) 3 weeks ago...

---

NOPE! I haven't seen that leak BUT it DOES SEEM from my sources that it will STAY as a ONE INCH SENSOR (i.e. Super-16 size) ....BUT...with 5.9K (6062 x 3432 pixel) 20.8 megapixels STILL PHOTO resolution and DCI 4K 4096x2160 pixel cropped 60 fps 4:2:2 10 bits per colour channel VIDEO resolution.

I don't mind that it is to be a one inch sensor since It is STILL better than most smartphones in resolution AND has a mount for an interchangeable lens. Most of my sources say an EF-S mount which is designed for APS-C sensors which means it WILL take Full Frame lenses very nicely with a decent FULL FUNCTION adapter!

In my opinion this is an upgraded Canon version of the Panasonic G5 series BUT with better ergonomics! That will sway A LOT OF ENTHUSIASTS over to that form factor since 18.6 megapixels is nothing to laugh at especially since I heard the burst rate mode at full stills resolution will be 10+ fps and maybe even 12 fps!

Price point wise it will PROBABLY be around $2200 to $2400 US which is Cheaper than the current XC-15 and intrudes upon 7D/6D/M5 capabilities and price points! Finally Canon is going to start bring out the Big Guns competitor to the G5 via an ergonomic form factor for the enthusiast and student filmmaker and semi-pro stills market!

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
Harrflim aka fullstop aka AVTVM... His real name is Chaz and when he's not crashing weddings and funerals he trolls this website.

---

NOPE! I'm in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada and many people know me by another name but it AIN'T FULLSTOP, AVTVM OR CHAZ!!!! I have an advanced degree from the University of Southwest British Columbia (Honours) in the specialty "Faeces Tauri Vomito"

And I am DAMN GOOD AT THAT SPECIALTY --- Everything else is real and true!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Don Haines said:
CanonFanBoy said:
Harrflim aka fullstop aka AVTVM... His real name is Chaz and when he's not crashing weddings and funerals he trolls this website.

INCONCEIVABLE! I thought he was unemployed.... in Greenland!

Greenland denied him unemployment compensation. Something about trolling from his momma's basement keeping him from seeking gainful employment.

Upvote 0
HarryFilm said:
CanonFanBoy said:

---

NOPE! I'm in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada and many people know me by another name but it AIN'T FULLSTOP, AVTVM OR CHAZ!!!! I have an advanced degree from the University of Southwest British Columbia (Honours) in the specialty "Faeces Tauri Vomito"

Always wanted to know if there was a real Expert on the subject of Bull Shit. Thank you Harry Film.
take it was a upper first class honours?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Don Haines said:
fentiger said:
HarryFilm said:
CanonFanBoy said:

---

Always wanted to know if there was a real Expert on the subject of Bull S____. Thank you Harry Film.
take it was a upper first class honours?

There is no University of Southwest BC...... more BS.....

USBC. Uber Smelly Bull Crap.

Upvote 0
ethanz said:
You guys love feeding him don't you? Does that make you just as bad? lol

I actually do think he lives or has lived near or in BC.

===

SERIOUSLY! I actual DO LIVE in Vancouver! Today, at Belcarra Regional Park it was like 18 Celcius in the Afternoon and NOT A CLOUD in the sky. The parking lots were full and the picnic area packed with families AND it was warm enough that I had a dip in the ocean! Afterwards, I took some time to craft some beefy retorts to the question of my ability to disgorge Faeces Tauri Vomito -- which LITERALLY means Crap of Bull being Vomited ...or... colloquially Bull_Sh_t.

Actually, THERE IS a University of Southwestern British Columbia --- AND it's motto is

"Sit Qui Perulae Inter Faeces Petit Benedicta"

I just happen to OWN that institution in its entirety....

AND one of it's graduates (i.e. ME!) says that certain Canon personnel from certain departments have CONFIRMED that Photokina is where an XC-15-look-alike video-centric camera with a mount allowing for interchangeable lenses WILL be announced but not necessarily introduced publicly for viewing! These parties I have access to have CONFIRMED it will be a one inch sensor (Super-16 size) and WILL HAVE a still image resolution of about 6k by 3.5k pixels and WILL HAVE 4:2:2 10-bit 60 fps DCI 4096x2160 interframe video.Those three features (one inch sensor, 6k x 3.5k resolution and 10-bit 422 60 fps video) ARE NOW CONFIRMED by those VERY WELL PLACED sources!

AND AGAIN, the price is said to be around $2200 to $2400 US !!!

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
ethanz said:

It's actually why I stopped responding to Harry's bizarre posts. The ridiculous smartphone with the EFS mount was the final straw for me, lol.

I hope that he's not a British Columbian, because he'd be single-handedly spiking the loon factor for the province. :D

Upvote 0
Talys said:
ethanz said:

It's actually why I stopped responding to Harry's bizarre posts. The ridiculous smartphone with the EFS mount was the final straw for me, lol.

I hope that he's not a British Columbian, because he'd be single-handedly spiking the loon factor for the province. :D

====

The loon factor starts coming out when one gets to spend a day on the beach, SCUBA diving, sailing, swimming etc. AND STILL think about what to write on Canon Rumors.

AND to PROVE ya don't need a $10,000 Camera to take decent photos, take a gander at this JPEG format panoramic view taken by a simple SMARTPHONE (of Belcarra Park near Vancouver taken May 12, 2018) which is WHY Canon is sooooooo WORRRIED about it's point-and-shoot business and is NOW CONFIRMED by my European electrical ENGINEERING sources to be testing a real-world prototype of an Android Smartphone with a LARGE SIZE CANON SENSOR and interchangeable lens capability!

If an Asus Zenfone-2 or Sony Experia-2, which are MID-RANGE phones, can do these types of wide panoramic or normal still imagery on their own with only mild contrast enhancement editing using their own apps....then CANON RIGHTFULLY NEEDS TO BE WORRIED SICK TO ITS STOMACH!

Attachments

• Belcarra Park Near Vancouver, BC, Canada - May 12, 2018.jpg
    Belcarra Park Near Vancouver, BC, Canada - May 12, 2018.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 125
  • Sony Experia-2 - A few KM before Manning Park BC April 15, 2017.jpg
    Sony Experia-2 - A few KM before Manning Park BC April 15, 2017.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Sony Experia-2 - Lake Okanagan, BC April 15, 2017.jpg
    Sony Experia-2 - Lake Okanagan, BC April 15, 2017.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 113
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
putting an Android-based mobile comm chip into an EOS-M body is certainly not impossible. however, for all practical purposes (size!) it would not qualify as "APS-C sensored smartphone with interchangable lenses" but rather as "Canon EOS MILC with mobile comm capabilities". Not very innovative and not really needed any longer now, as bluetooth/NFC are viable now to transfer images from camera to smartphone -> to social media platforms.

Samsung Galaxy camera (compact cam with mobile comm, Android, but small sensor and no lens mount) has pioneered the concept with inbuilt android/comm module in 2013 already, without success in market.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Don Haines said:
Orangutan said:
Would you open a comic book and expect to find peer-reviewed scientific literature?

you mean the X-ray glasses and happy family of sea monkeys are not real! This is very upsetting to me, as I have been waiting 50 years for my personal submarine and secret decoder ring to arrive.....

Time to run to my safe place. You've opened an old wound. Sea Monkeys were the biggest disappointment of my childhood. No castles, no tridents, and no smiles. Spent some hard earned newspaper delivery money on that con. Somebody ought to have been arrested. Just green water and learning what brine shrimp is. :'(

I won't admit to the perversion of ordering x-ray glasses, but they were a con too. Even bigger disappointment. #metoo

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
HarryFilm said:
Talys said:
ethanz said:

====

The loon factor starts coming out when one gets to spend a day on the beach, SCUBA diving, sailing, swimming etc. AND STILL think about what to write on Canon Rumors.

AND to PROVE ya don't need a $10,000 Camera to take decent photos, take a gander at this JPEG format panoramic view taken by a simple SMARTPHONE (of Belcarra Park near Vancouver taken May 12, 2018) which is WHY Canon is sooooooo WORRRIED about it's point-and-shoot business and is NOW CONFIRMED by my European electrical ENGINEERING sources to be testing a real-world prototype of an Android Smartphone with a LARGE SIZE CANON SENSOR and interchangeable lens capability!

If an Asus Zenfone-2 or Sony Experia-2, which are MID-RANGE phones, can do these types of wide panoramic or normal still imagery on their own with only mild contrast enhancement editing using their own apps....then CANON RIGHTFULLY NEEDS TO BE WORRIED SICK TO ITS STOMACH!

Sorry, Harry. Nothing about those photos should have Canon worried. Nothing. Run along now. Your momma is calling you.

Upvote 0
fullstop said:
putting an Android-based mobile comm chip into an EOS-M body is certainly not impossible. however, for all practical purposes (size!) it would not qualify as "APS-C sensored smartphone with interchangable lenses" but rather as "Canon EOS MILC with mobile comm capabilities". Not very innovative and not really needed any longer now, as bluetooth/NFC are viable now to transfer images from camera to smartphone -> to social media platforms.

Samsung Galaxy camera (compact cam with mobile comm, Android, but small sensor and no lens mount) has pioneered the concept with inbuilt android/comm module in 2013 already, without success in market.

===

When the photos NOTED BELOW came to my attention, I KNEW the first one with the front sensor WAS REAL because of MY OTHER sources who had described it in exactly the manner shown below multiple times on multiple online groups.

the SECOND photo is "purported" to be a 3D PRINTED DESIGN MOCKUP intended to research physical placement and size of controls. It "Kinda Looks Fake To Me" but for now I will assume it is a "Design Mockup"

I will stress this over and over....the rumour mill IS BOILING HOT in the engineering circles I look into. These are people IN DESIGN and MANUFACTURING who have knowledge on parts and purchases. I don't know them or their real names BUT MANY seem to be saying nearly the same stories.

At least ONE of those stories is said that an Android OS Canon Smartphone with a BIG Sensor and a lens mount that is in real-world TESTING!

Attachments

• Canon_P5_Smartphone_With_APC_Sensor_Sensor_View.jpg
    Canon_P5_Smartphone_With_APC_Sensor_Sensor_View.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 114
  • Canon_P5_Smartphone_With_APC_Sensor_Touchscreen_View.jpg
    Canon_P5_Smartphone_With_APC_Sensor_Touchscreen_View.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 110
Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
HarryFilm said:
Talys said:
ethanz said:

====

Sorry, Harry. Nothing about those photos should have Canon worried. Nothing. Run along now. Your momma is calling you.

===

Take those smartphone photos and COMPARE them against your 5D Mark 3 photos and I would say from a CONSUMER point of view they are WAAAAAAAAY GOOD ENOUGH FOR PERSONAL USE, especially when you tell a consumer the ORIGINAL PRICE of your 5D mk3!

Blackberry died on the vine due to corporate arrogance. Canon has been getting DANGEROUSLY CLOSE to that same level of corporate arrogance as Blackberry BUT it seems that may have caught a bit of religion and seen the light! Getting a large Canon sensor sensor on a smartphone out to market is a GOOD PLAN in my view. The Sony Experia and Asus ZenFone are MID-range phones and what you can get out of them today with some BASIC ON-PHONE contrast enhancement and simple cropping boggles the mind! Imagine what an APS-C sensor can do on a high powered smartphone with a Qualcomm Dragon 845 on it can do to Camera IQ !!!! Can you say WINNER by a Mile?!

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
sorry to disappoint you Harry, but first image is [also] clearly fake. Just one quick glance reveals your ENGINEERING FRIENDS are playing PRANKS on you. ;D

Explanation: a SQUARE white dot as lens mount mark is used by Canon on cameras with EF-S lens mount. EF-S like EF has a flange focal distance of 44.0 mm = way thicker than any "camera smartphone", including the fake one in the posted image.

If it were Canon EF-M mount, it would be marked with a ROUND white dot ... even then it would still be 18mm FFD, which would make for a MIGHTY FAT "camera smartphone"-body. Smallest form factor we have seen so far for EF-M so far was EOS M2 [back in 2013; HxWxD 104.9 × 65.2 × 31.6 mm] ... which is about the smallest form factor Canon [or anyone else] could possibly use for an "APS-C sensored camera-phone" with interchangeable lens mount ... ;-)

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/0304760491/canon-announces-eos-m2-in-japan

Upvote 0