News Flash: Good news for some, bad news for others

What is the difference between mounting a lens to a flange on a body and mounting it to a flange on an adapter? I haven’t noticed any difference myself.
Inevitably you end up with some lenses which don't require an adapter as well as some which do require an adapter. So you have to mount the adapter to the body and then the lens to the adapter. Then you have to take the lens off, then the adapter off, then mount the next lens (which doesn't require an adapter).

If you never want to buy a new lens ever again, by all means just leave the adapter on the body 100% of the time.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

herion

Seven stars, seven stones and one white tree
Jul 30, 2018
I think the point to remember is that it appears like it's not just your normal adapter, if it allows drop in filters, the benefit to EF glass is HUGE. you only need one set of small filters for your needs, you don't need them for every lens thread diameter.

If this is true, then this also opens up the market for B+W, Hoya and other specialty filter makers to make these drop ins. I know I'd love to save money on getting filters across different sizes.

Upvote 0
I seriously considered an M5 with an adapter because I'm told they work perfect w/an adapter but I really wanted FF. The bottom line is I really want a FF mirrorless and if it performs anything close to my 5DMK4, cannon will get my money and I'll use it with my 5d with my EF glass until the FF mirror-less flagship 1DX comes out. That one must have EF. Live is short, Enjoy! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
YES!

I was concerned that Canon were going to do something stupid and release a mirrorless camera with a kludge mount that, in order to stop the adaptorphobics from having a panic attack, means all new mirrorless lens designs would be these ridiculous things with the lens mount half way up the lens barrel and coffee cups for rear caps.

It was a dumb idea, and I'm glad it didn't happen :)

Now, we wait to see what if any relation the new mount has to the EF-M mount. We still have the question of how can RF lenses be adapted to work on the EOS M bodies.

Seems like Canon are going to wipe the floor with Nikon. The 28-70 f/2 will bring all the boys to the yard :)

Upvote 0

herion

Seven stars, seven stones and one white tree
Jul 30, 2018
YES!

I was concerned that Canon were going to do something stupid and release a mirrorless camera with a kludge mount that, in order to stop the adaptorphobics from having a panic attack, means all new mirrorless lens designs would be these ridiculous things with the lens mount half way up the lens barrel and coffee cups for rear caps.

It was a dumb idea, and I'm glad it didn't happen :)

Now, we wait to see what if any relation the new mount has to the EF-M mount. We still have the question of how can RF lenses be adapted to work on the EOS M bodies.

Seems like Canon are going to wipe the floor with Nikon. The 28-70 f/2 will bring all the boys to the yard :)

Now, let's see about the body size... let's not sacrifice the excellent Canon ergonomics... a "thinner" 6DII would be perfect, a "slightly larger" M5/M50 is too small with big glass...

Upvote 0
I have EOS M wiht EF adapter. It's just dumb tube with contacts transfer, its sturdy and lens are not wobbling on camera. The communication protocol is same for EOS and EOS M. I suppose, Canon will keep the communication protocol for "EOS R" mount too. Canon adapter is the shortest, because of short flange distance of EF mount and many EF lenses with adapter are almost equivalent in length to Sony FE lenses (some are even shorter - old 1.4/35L, 1.2/50L, 1.2/85L). I don't think that Canon needs desperately native lenses as all current EF lenses work great with EOS M via adapter or on latest DSLR in LiveView with Dual Pixel AF.

I hope to that the camera controls would be in size of 5D or 1D. I always struggle with Sony A7x and EOS M rear wheel.

Upvote 0
did i just get canon burned ?

i knew i should have stayed away when the 24-70 2.8 and 6d bodies were literally being blown out this summer. they loooovvveee proving how anything and everything is too good to be true

i guess that’s my lesson , nice f2 glass , jeez i guess this is how it felt back in 1987 huh

my canon gear became a lot less impressive ... i should just go back to fucking film

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2014
I really don´t see what´s the problem in this...on the other side, I see 2 advantages.

1st advantage - You can use all your EF glass and IF you want, and only if you want, you can buy RF lenses.
2nd - The adaptors seem to come with PL filter and ND filter - I see a huge advantage in this, especially using my 500mm F4. Do you know how much it costs a drop in filter for the big lenses?? Also i see a huge advantage for video, especially with the ND adaptor. Only need to know if it is a variable ND or you need to buy ND6/8/16 and so on...I think the Filter industry is trembling with this!!! ;)

About the adaptor...well, assuming it is not too big, i don´t see a problem. I assume also that being a canon adaptor it will work with no problem and you will not notice any focus problem.

I use the sigma mc-11 on Sony A7r3 and yes...it´s a pain because it interferes with the normal behaviour camera-lens. By the way, use almost exclusively the Canon 15-35 F4 on it. And yes, for video it´s a reaaall pain!! But if Canon makes an adapter that doesn´t cut in anything of the performance, that gives you all camera beneficts, then i really don´t see a problem.
I am more concern about the camera itself and the specs....I am praying for Canon to give me a great Still/video camera (like the a7R3) and i will sell the Sony and sitck again 100% in my preferred material....Canon!! So Canon, please!! :)

Upvote 0