Next Canon Flashes With Exposure Based on Color Temperature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin: 0 0px 0 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/11/next-canon-flashes-with-exposure-based-on-color-temperature/" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/11/next-canon-flashes-with-exposure-based-on-color-temperature/"></a></div>
<strong>The Next Speedlite

</strong>A patent has shown up explaining a technology that could appear in future Canon flashes.</p>
<p>The replacement of the 580EX II is said to be a quantum leap forward as far as flash technology goes. We’re all eagerly awaiting it.</p>
<p><strong>Patent Information (Translated)</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>Patent Publication No. 2011-232461</li>
<li>Published 2011.11.17</li>
<li>Filing date 2010.4.26</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>How to determine the flash exposure</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>Capacitor (GN), sensitivity ISO, aperture by calculating the distance</li>
<li>If the flash can adjust the RGB primary colors, not for its calculations</li>
<li>Based on the color temperature is set to flash, strobe light to calculate the distance</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>Source [<a href="http://egami.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2011-11-21">EG</a>]</strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

To play devil's advocate - would the 580 EX II be better improved by looking at Pocket Wizards, and building in a better wireless system to the flash (and then having say a flash mount controller ala AC3 Zone controller)?

Doesn't a gel work better? Or knowing white/grey/black, and then adjusting afterwards. Would a flash changing temperature make post corrections harder or easier?

Upvote 0
G

Gothmoth

it´s time for build in wireless RADIO TTL.

infrared sucks and with expensive third party stuff like the pocket wizards you can´t be sure it will be 100% compatible in the future.

build in radio TTL would bring canon ahead of nikon.
nikons flash system is today way better then canons.

by the way... maybe it´s my bad english or the lack of information but the stuff about exposure based on color temperature makes no real sense for me.

or it will be the case that changing the color temperature OF THE FLASH will also change the guide number.
so the flash would have different power output for white, red or blue light (etc).

Upvote 0
With todays flash, you get one temperature of light from the flash, and another from the ambient light. Your foreground and background will then have different light temperatures on them making color correction difficult, even from the RAW photo.

So... a flash that could mimic the color of the ambient light, would mean foreground and background could then both be corrected with the same fix, or the camera could do it automatically.

Sounds very high-tech, and like the kind of thing I would never use.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
TexPhoto said:
With todays flash, you get one temperature of light from the flash, and another from the ambient light. Your foreground and background will then have different light temperatures on them making color correction difficult, even from the RAW photo.

So... a flash that could mimic the color of the ambient light, would mean foreground and background could then both be corrected with the same fix, or the camera could do it automatically.

Sounds very high-tech, and like the kind of thing I would never use.

This would be a wedding photographer's dream. Not having to use gels would remove one extra piece of work.

I would like to see the flash get the exposure right when you are bouncing it off something that is not completely white - which is what happens most of the time. My guess is that a pre-flash would be necessary to attempt to get that right.

Upvote 0
Maybe I was Flash Gordon in a prior life....

But it seems to me like this should have been done long ago. I can hardly believe past technologies lodged limitations against this. We've known a lot about light for a long time now.

Maybe a reason I resist flash so vehemently is because the current flash product is so primitive.

Let's get this technology parade on the road, folks!

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
It's just a minimal amount of detail to work with, but if it works even MOST of the time this would be brilliant. Sure, I'm happy clip gels onto my Profotos or Einsteins but in real world dynamic shooting situations when I'm working with 580's this just does not happen.

Looking forward very much to more detailed information on this development. Regardless of what the final 580 replacement is, I'll be getting two as soon as they ship.

Paul Wright

Upvote 0
W

willrobb

I'm excited to see what the new speedlite will be able to offer us. The gels etc will be useful if they are built in, they'll encourage people who otherwise don't use them to try them out and better photos will (hopefully) result.

The infrared does suck a bit, the principle of the ST-E2 transmitter is great, setting flashes to different channels and being able to weight the flash outputs is really good....when it works anyway. Pocketwizards are pretty small, with all the money in canon's R&D department it would be nice to see future flashes (and therefore bodies as well) have this technology inbuilt. Even the same infrared ability if the 7D to work off camera flashes in future bodies and a separate radio transmitter would be nice.

Fingers crossed...

Upvote 0
S

siebzehn

My first impression was a measurement system. if you take two pictures/wb-measurements (with and without flash) you can calculate the impact of the flash because it has a defined color.
If your subject is fare away the impact of the flash is low and you have to increase the power.
This would allow more precise automatic flash adjustment. e.g. the overexposure on macro can be avoided or not to fire on landscape.

Upvote 0
O

outsider

So how would this adjustment of color temperature be done?

I can only think of putting 3 flash bulbs in the head, each gelled with one primary color (RGB) and adjust the output of each flash bulb accordingly to give the desired color temperature.

Or could it be LED based instead of flash bulb? (doubtful as I don't think LED's have the light power that a flash bulb does)

Upvote 0
B

branden

I don't think they can get away with charging more than they already are. The prices of the 580EXII are already in the range of (cheap) monolights, and I think they would lose sales to 3rd party studio lighting companies if they tried to push prices up higher. For portable lighting the speedlights are great, but they're also selling to people who use them to double as quick & easy & ultra-portable staged setups.

Upvote 0
The basic discussion in the cr report makes no sense to me. I fail to see the connection between color temperature and "exposure".

We may be suffering here from some "loss in translation".

In any case, Canon Speedlite flash units have for some time (I believe from the 580EX onward) reported to the body an estimate of the color temperature of the specific burst used for a shot so that the body can take this into account when doing white balance color correction.

Best regards,

Doug

Upvote 0
Hi, Dilbert,

dilbert said:
dougkerr said:
The basic discussion in the cr report makes no sense to me. I fail to see the connection between color temperature and "exposure".

Imagine, if you will, a flash that has the same temperature as either an incandescent light, the sun or fluorescent lighting, as well as the normal "tungsten" value.
Yes, a flash unit with controllable chromaticity - controllable "color temperature" (CCT, actually), if you will - would be nice.

I'm not sure I get that from the description of this new machine, though - but who knows.

Best regards,

Doug

Upvote 0
outsider said:
So how would this adjustment of color temperature be done?

I can only think of putting 3 flash bulbs in the head, each gelled with one primary color (RGB) and adjust the output of each flash bulb accordingly to give the desired color temperature.

Or could it be LED based instead of flash bulb? (doubtful as I don't think LED's have the light power that a flash bulb does)
I'm thinking LED here actually. There are mass manufactured LEDs reaching into the 100 lumens per watt range, where fluorescent (currently the best lumens/watt lamp) is. Add that LEDs are low-voltage already (smaller capacitors), want to be 6000K to start, and are already a directional source (eliminating the reflector entirely) and we're pretty far down the road to what manufacturers would consider a pretty good thing. Then it just becomes a second "warm white" grouping of LEDs next to the 6000K ones and you're dialing in your color temperature quickly and easily.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.