Nikon Full Frame Mirrorless to Have New Z Mount

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<a href="https://nikonrumors.com/2018/01/11/nikons-upcoming-mirrorless-camera-rumored-to-have-a-new-z-mount-with-16mm-flange-focal-distance.aspx/">According to Nikon Rumors</a>, the upcoming full frame mirrorless from Nikon will have a new mount, dubbed the “Z Mount”. That name could change before the announcement.</p>
<p><strong>Specifications of the new mount:</strong></p>

<ul>
<li>Designed for full frame mirrorless cameras</li>
<li>External diameter: 49mm</li>
<li>Flange focal distance: 16mm</li>
</ul>
<p>This is where Canon could really have an advantage. If they can somehow make the 130million or so EF lenses compatible with a full frame mirrorless without an adaptor, they won’t have a hard time getting Canon DSLR shooters to add a full frame mirrorless to their kit.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Jul 21, 2010
The flange focal distance of 16mm is 2mm shallower than the Sony E mount. If true, that probably means some pretty substantial optical compromises will need to be made for lenses, or Nikon's lenses will effectively need a built-in extension tube like the Sony G master series.

Yet another mount flavor… Just with Nikon needs to add to their already confusing lens/body compatibility matrix.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
The flange focal distance of 16mm is 2mm shallower than the Sony E mount. If true, that probably means some pretty substantial optical compromises will need to be made for lenses, or Nikon's lenses will effectively need a built-in extension tube like the Sony G master series.

Yet another mount flavor… Just with Nikon needs to add to their already confusing lens/body compatibility matrix.

Yes....

It seems that few people realize that the sharper you bend light, the more problems you get with chromatic aberration and sharpness. Canon could have easily made your 600F4 only half as long, but it would be a terrible lens....

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:

well based on the rumors on this site previously that canon will just use the EF-M mount modified for full frame (google it), nothing nikon and sony will find hard canon will not find hard too. All 3 companies are going the same way.

Honestly, do you really think canon will slap the EF mount without a mirror and call it done? What about all those rumors of a new mount? Seem more likely all 3 companies have decided to ditch their DSLR mounts in favor of mounts with closer flange focal distances.

This means actually EF glass on nikon bodies being top of the 3rd party adapter companies' priorities out there. It seems the end of the DSLR mounts is here.

Adapters will rule during the transition. No doubt the reason nikon and canon have taken so long: creating the perfect adapters is key.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
psolberg said:
Honestly, do you really think canon will slap the EF mount without a mirror and call it done? What about all those rumors of a new mount?

I think it's a better than even chance they'll do just that. Sony, and to a lesser extent Nikon, need to drive users to switch to their brand. As such, adapted compatibility with another brand's lenses is rather important. Canon will take switchers, of course, but as the market leader by a substantial margin, their most important need is direct compatibility with their own lenses...all 130 million of them.

As for rumors, what about >6 years of 100-400 MkII rumors? ::)

psolberg said:
Adapters will rule during the transition. No doubt the reason nikon and canon have taken so long: creating the perfect adapters is key.

No doubt?? Yeah, Canon and Nikon's engineers couldn't figure out how to properly design a sturdy, empty tube with some simple pass-through electronic contacts. Sheesh. If I send you $1 by PayPal, will you go buy a clue? ::) ::) ::)

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
<a href="https://nikonrumors.com/2018/01/11/nikons-upcoming-mirrorless-camera-rumored-to-have-a-new-z-mount-with-16mm-flange-focal-distance.aspx/">According to Nikon Rumors</a>, the upcoming full frame mirrorless from Nikon will have a new mount, dubbed the “Z Mount”. That name could change before the announcement.</p>
<p><strong>Specifications of the new mount:</strong></p>

<ul>
<li>Designed for full frame mirrorless cameras</li>
<li>External diameter: 49mm</li>
<li>Flange focal distance: 16mm</li>
</ul>
<p>This is where Canon could really have an advantage. If they can somehow make the 130million or so EF lenses compatible with a full frame mirrorless without an adaptor, they won’t have a hard time getting Canon DSLR shooters to add a full frame mirrorless to their kit.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

this assumes:

1) nikon won't do the same thing by trivially removing the mirror from a D850 (which they may still do anyway and probably will because there are some people who want a big dslr for balance). This rumor doesn't negate that possibility at all. In fact, I bet they do both and see what people buy.

2) nikon intends to fully replace their lens lineup for the professional market which may not be the case at all: they could simply release lenses for the market interested in such smaller cameras while leaving the big gear to the people interested in dslrs. Again, just because they are making a lens or two for a full frame camera doesn't mean everything is going to migrate. If sales aren't there, they can easily pull back to #1.

3) that canon will sit on the sidelines and never create a full frame interchangeable lenses compact camera in the spirit of the EF-M. But if they sit it out, they risk giving market away to sony and nikon making smaller cameras with smaller flange distances for full frame buyers. will canon really sit it out and risk falling behind should #1 prove a sales flop? I doubt it. You yourself reported on this site canon was working on an adapter.

most likely both companies will hedge bets. I think the consumer will decide in the end but neither canon nor nikon would be investing this much it seems if their plans were to only delete the mirror and call it a day. And it may very well be both ditch their DSLR mounts in the end if in fact consumers and pros start to transition to the new gear.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
psolberg said:
Honestly, do you really think canon will slap the EF mount without a mirror and call it done? What about all those rumors of a new mount?

I think it's a better than even chance they'll do just that. Sony, and to a lesser extent Nikon, need to drive users to switch to their brand. As such, adapted compatibility with another brand's lenses is rather important. Canon will take switchers, of course, but as the market leader by a substantial margin, their most important need is direct compatibility with their own lenses...all 130 million of them.

As for rumors, what about >6 years of 100-400 MkII rumors? ::)

psolberg said:

No doubt?? Yeah, Canon and Nikon's engineers couldn't figure out how to properly design a sturdy, empty tube with some simple pass-through electronic contacts. Sheesh. If I send you $1 by PayPal, will you go buy a clue? ::) ::) ::)

well again, this site reported on such rumors. Are you saying canon RD cannot make an adapter as a means to exploit a potential new market? You sound like a true arm-chair engineer. so I'll give you my dollar and add another for you to buy double the clues :)

And if you're right, then the EOS-M is well dead then as it will not see a full frame offering and will need to compete with sony FE and Nikon Z full frame options with nothing to come back with except...an apology for misleading its customers into a dead mount.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
psolberg said:
well again, this site reported on such rumors.

Seems you don't understand what the word 'rumor' means.

ru·mor ˈro͞omər noun
1. a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth.

If you're looking for canonfacts.com, you're in the wrong place – check out Canon's press release page. The rumors reported here are wrong far more often then they're right.

psolberg said:
Are you saying canon RD cannot make an adapter as a means to exploit a potential new market?

No, you said that. According to you, that's why Canon and Nikon haven't released a FF MILC. Please, quit while you're behind and before you embarrass yourself further.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
psolberg said:
well again, this site reported on such rumors.

Seems you don't understand what the word 'rumor' means.

ru·mor ˈro͞omər noun
1. a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth.

If you're looking for canonfacts.com, you're in the wrong place – check out Canon's press release page. The rumors reported here are wrong far more often then they're right.

psolberg said:
Are you saying canon RD cannot make an adapter as a means to exploit a potential new market?

No, you said that. According to you, that's why Canon and Nikon haven't released a FF MILC. Please, quit while you're behind and before you embarrass yourself further.

There is a difference between saying canon is taking long in making one and you implying they cannot. I say they are taking long as a statement of fact. YOU are the one embarrassing yourself implying they cannot do so.

And while true that a rumor is just a rumor, it is certainly not beyond the realm of what canon can do. Right now on this very front page we see a patent for an adapter. Not to say that is what they do, but we see certainly canon is interested. So again, quit the armchair engineering and stop telling it as if YOU had a clue because you don't.

Off course canon could do both, or neither. That's not my point. My point is, this site has had several tips, we have seen some patents, and adapters are not out of the realm of what is possible. So unless you have an actual shread of evidence as to a mirrorless full frame camera on EF, maybe connect the dots a bit better next time.

Also I find the fact you're arguing with me over me citing rumors FROM canon rumors, IN canon rumors, as if that subject is taboo here entirely ridiculous. So you should take your own advice and go to canonfacts.com. This is the rumor site as the name implies.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
psolberg said:
well based on the rumors on this site previously that canon will just use the EF-M mount modified for full frame (google it), nothing nikon and sony will find hard canon will not find hard too. All 3 companies are going the same way.

That was one of the most outstandingly stupid rumours that ever graced this site.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
psolberg said:
There is a difference between saying canon is taking long in making one and you implying they cannot. I say they are taking long as a statement of fact.

So, you are claiming this statement as fact: "No doubt the reason nikon and canon have taken so long: creating the perfect adapters is key." It's a fact that neither Canon nor Nikon have yet launched a FF MILC. But your statement that the reason they have not done so yet is that they have not yet managed to create a perfect mount adapter is, quite simply, ludicrous and asinine. It's your opinion, you are welcome to share it, no matter how foolish it makes you appear.

psolberg said:
YOU are the one embarrassing yourself implying they cannot do so.

Oh, you mean the statement that was followed by the word 'sheesh' and three successive :rolleyes:. Oh my goodness, yes, that was a totally, completely, and in all other ways serious, honest statement on my part. Sheesh.

rolleyesbig1.gif

Only one :rolleyes: this time, but I made it bigger, 'cuz I guess you didn't see the first three. It denotes sarcasm. Here's a good read for you:

https://www.gq.com/story/three-years-for-the-eye-roll-emoji

You might also try this handy tome:

51IESUsBdbL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
psolberg said:
There is a difference between saying canon is taking long in making one and you implying they cannot. I say they are taking long as a statement of fact.

So, you are claiming this statement as fact: "No doubt the reason nikon and canon have taken so long: creating the perfect adapters is key." It's a fact that neither Canon nor Nikon have yet launched a FF MILC. But your statement that the reason they have not done so yet is that they have not yet managed to create a perfect mount adapter is, quite simply, ludicrous and asinine. It's your opinion, you are welcome to share it, no matter how foolish it makes you appear.

psolberg said:
YOU are the one embarrassing yourself implying they cannot do so.

Oh, you mean the statement that was followed by the word 'sheesh' and three successive :rolleyes:. Oh my goodness, yes, that was a totally, completely, and in all other ways serious, honest statement on my part. Sheesh.

rolleyesbig1.gif

Only one :rolleyes: this time, but I made it bigger, 'cuz I guess you didn't see the first three. It denotes sarcasm. Here's a good read for you:

https://www.gq.com/story/three-years-for-the-eye-roll-emoji

You might also try this handy tome:

51IESUsBdbL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

lol you're pissing into the wind. Not a good idea. but please continue as it is amusing to see the desperation in your oversized dramatical emojis. Pretty weak. My statement of fact refers to the fact canon is yet to show a full frame system for mirrorless while the rumors of it date back from quite a number of years, and some of its competitors have moved there. I say it is taking long because, just like nikon, every time there is even a hint of what they may do, everybody reports on it. Or do you think they are not taking long? If so, there is a bridge in Alaska I need to sell you. It has a great view. And yes, My OPINION is just that, because I think they are talking long to do this move, because it needs to work flawlessly or it will cause end-user backslash. Could my opinion be wrong? off course, but as you're an armchair engineer, it will not be wrong because you know any better, which clearly you do not.

You attempt to speak from a position of authority yet, you have basically no clue yourself. Then re-inforce that by resorting to pretty empty arguments and forum flaming, that honestly, doesn't even advance your argument.

Again armchair engineering aside, you've given no reason yourself other than trying to insult anybody who calls you out for your cluelessness or has a different opinion. That doesn't strengthen your argument, if there is any whatsoever. Again if you have any FACTS to the contrary, pleas do share them. I'll be the first to admit I was wrong. But If you just have your opinion to counter my opinion.... ::) ::) at least get a towel to wipe.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
psolberg said:
My statement of fact refers to the fact canon is yet to show a full frame system for mirrorless while the rumors of it date back from quite a number of years, and some of its competitors have moved there. I say it is taking long because, just like nikon, every time there is even a hint of what they may do, everybody reports on it.

psolberg said:
No doubt the reason nikon and canon have taken so long: creating the perfect adapters is key.

You said it's taking long because they haven't been able to create the perfect adapter.

Really, there's no point in discussing anything with someone so dishonest. Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I personaly thing this would be a bad decision. In my opinion the lense selection is realy important - and I would never want to carry different lenses around that I cant use with my secondary camera...
Nikon offers realy great and very sharp lenses - I realy don't think winning a few mm in camera size is eraly worth throwing all this away...

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
peters said:
I personaly thing this would be a bad decision. In my opinion the lense selection is realy important - and I would never want to carry different lenses around that I cant use with my secondary camera...
Nikon offers realy great and very sharp lenses - I realy don't think winning a few mm in camera size is eraly worth throwing all this away...

Indeed. It will be years before there is a native mount lens portfolio that is complete enough for the Nikon FF MILC to be a replacement for their mirrorslappers, for most people who would need/want a full frame camera.

Upvote 0