Nikon announces the NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
TOKYO – Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce the release of the NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena, a mid-telephoto prime lens that is compatible with full-frame/FX-format mirrorless cameras for which the Nikon Z mount has been adopted. The NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena is an S-Line* lens, and takes full advantage of

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Nikon really haven't thought their branding through....this name "Plena" in Czech means Full Diaper....regardless of how good this lens is....it's going to have an uphill (or rather a downhill?) marketing task in most European countries.
View attachment 211856
Plena in most European languages comes from the Latin Plenus, meaning full or complete, with nothing to do with a nappy (in my part of the UK we don't use the word diaper). In Russian, пле́нум, plenary comes from the same source, plenus. Plenary lectures don't have the speaker or audience in nappies.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Nikon really haven't thought their branding through....this name "Plena" in Czech means Full Diaper....regardless of how good this lens is....it's going to have an uphill (or rather a downhill?) marketing task in most European countries.
View attachment 211856
Do you mean this lens could be crappy? :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I would like to see this lens compared to the Canon.
The Canon seems superior in every way except bokeh.
The back of the Nikon lens is circular, early test show no cats eye bokeh balls and no vignetting, but Nikon forced reviewers to use jpegs. So the vignetting could be severe when using RAW.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
The back of the Nikon lens is circular, early test show no cats eye bokeh balls and no vignetting, but Nikon forced reviewers to use jpegs. So the vignetting could be severe when using RAW.
If there is no cat's eye bokeh, then I expect vignetting to be low. Often these are correlated.

Upvote 0
View attachment 211856
Why would one Czech translation ruin its sales in the whole Europe ? Ridiculous comment. For me they could name it whatever they want and I would still buy it if performance is there.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019
I would like to see this lens compared to the Canon.
The Canon seems superior in every way except bokeh.
I don't need any comparison, I just use the RF 135 to be happy ....
- The AF is a beast to say at least
- the lightest lens ever used with a "tripod integrated" for long shutter speed - impressive IS.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019
Cat eye bokeh balls are generated anywhere in the middle of the lens due to limited diameters of some elements, not at the rear element.
Bigger elements give more weight, size, possibly worse CA and less performant AF & IS.
BTW:
- The RF135 is as round at the rear as at the front ....
- I do not expect the Nikon 135 to have significant vignetting

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I'm consistently impressed with the new RF 135L. The autofocus is lightning fast for sports/action - unlike the Nikon. So I honestly couldn't care less. All my complaints with the original EF 135L (straight aperture, chromatic aberration, minimum focusing distance, etc.) have all been rectified. So I'm happy with the route Canon took.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'm consistently impressed with the new RF 135L. The autofocus is lightning fast for sports/action - unlike the Nikon. So I honestly couldn't care less. All my complaints with the original EF 135L (straight aperture, chromatic aberration, minimum focusing distance, etc.) have all been rectified. So I'm happy with the route Canon took.
I was generally happy with the EF 135/2, but used it much less after getting the 70-200/2.8 II and so sold it. I fear it would be the same with the 135/1.8, though I am considering getting the TS-E 135/4 before they disappear.

Upvote 0
I was able to test out the lens at a demo event. The af speed was impressive and no different than my RF 135. I think it’ll hold up well for sporting events. Not sure why there’s so many assumptions when the lens that hasn’t even hit market yet.

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I was able to test out the lens at a demo event. The af speed was impressive and no different than my RF 135. I think it’ll hold up well for sporting events. Not sure why there’s so many assumptions when the lens that hasn’t even hit market yet.
Probably because the fanboys are doing what they use to do without engaging that many brain cells. It's just easier: "I don't need any comparison, I just use the RF 135 to be happy ...." :rolleyes:. BTW I'm not trying to troll (I don't use to!) - I'm trying to put some reason in the comments.

Upvote 0