Nikon officially announces the Nikon Z 9, and it’s a remarkable $5499

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Nikon’s First Mirrorless Flagship Defies Conventional, Debuts with a Series of Industry-Firsts for Still & Video Creators
MELVILLE, NY (October 28, 2021) – Today, Nikon announced the Z 9, the most advanced Z series mirrorless camera to date. Powered by a completely new, Nikon-developed 45.7 megapixel stacked CMOS sensor and next-generation EXPEED 7 image-processing engine, the full-frame Z 9 renders ultra-high resolution images and offers unparalleled AF performance using a revolutionary new scene detection system built on deep learning technology. Additionally, the camera is capable of sustained fast continuous shooting bursts, in-camera 8K video recordings for extended periods, truly blackout-free Real-Live visibility in the viewfinder and a sensor scan rate so fast that it completely eliminates the need for a traditional mechanical shutter.
“The Z 9 is the complete package, offering an unprecedented balance of speed, resolution, reliability and performance that will...

Continue reading...

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I can't get over this price. It's a major selling point and I honestly believe this will be a point where many photographers take the opportunity to switch brands to Nikon - and they deserve it at this price point. That said, I have an R5 that is already more than capable of all my needs for a high resolution camera and when my R3 arrives, I will have my preferred sports camera back in my hands again...because after a year of shooting motorsports with a 45mp R5, I can tell you that I can't wait to go back down to something smaller resolution. Granted, I wish we were talking about a 30-35mp step town and not a 24mp step down.

I am curious if Nikon will offer a low resolution RAW file that Canon simply refuses to give us on the R5...then again they probably know I would be buying a second R5 right now and NOT an R3 if they did this. LOL

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Also, I can't help but think that Nikon is taking a loss with these cameras to drive the Z-mount forward like Sony originally did with it's A7 series. There is no way they could possibly be offering a stacked, 45mp sensor with all this tech at $1,000 under the price of their main sensor supplier, Sony (not sure who make this one for them) and cheaper than Canon who is also manufacturing its own sensor. This camera is a real home run for Nikon.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Also, I can't help but think that Nikon is taking a loss with these cameras to drive the Z-mount forward like Sony originally did with it's A7 series. There is no way they could possibly be offering a stacked, 45mp sensor with all this tech at $1,000 under the price of their main sensor supplier, Sony (not sure who make this one for them) and cheaper than Canon who is also manufacturing its own sensor. This camera is a real home run for Nikon.
Their lose is our gain. Too bad i dont have Nikon. I would get a couple of these. Unless i owned that company, I dont care.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

Maybe Sony and Canon just overcharging and Nikon still makes decent profit.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Yes. My exact thought. The camera is a loss leader to sell sell lenses. All I want is Canon's 30 MP sensor from the 5D IV, with that form factor as mirrorless camera. Canon seems to be struggling to get the mix right for people who don't want the 45 MP files.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I hope this camera lives up to the hype. While I get there are shortages, and these are niche products these days, canon (especially you canon) and sony are both enjoying better margins. These are bodies they are suppose to make money selling lenses as the main business. Kind of like playstation takes a loss on every unit but makes it back with digital sales, games etc.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The profit will be selling lenses. Nikon is using the time tested method of a low price for the product but high prices for needed accessories. They will make a ton of money! Canon is doing the same, minimal profit on the camera, big profits on the lenses. They even say it in their financial report.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Yes. My exact thought. The camera is a loss leader to sell sell lenses. All I want is Canon's 30 MP sensor from the 5D IV, with that form factor as mirrorless camera. Canon seems to be struggling to get the mix right for people who don't want the 45 MP files.
The eos r been out....

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0