Nikon unveils 24.1MP D5200 DSLR with optional WiFi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2012
AB
but back to the topic...

Nik's just put a lot of nice features and performance upgrades into the D5200
can't wait to see how well it performs
Looks like it could be a Rebels vs Ninjas (?) battle and the ninjas just got new laser rifles.

this consumer class of camera is a large volume low margin thing, production cost has to be low
considering I just bought a new D5100 body yesterday for $430 (Yes I knew the 5200 would out this week) the supply chain can't be losing money on it

putting this much into the consumer end I'd hope the next levels up will get more than just build quality improvements

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
New Nikon D5200 specs link direct from Nikon site

Detailed set of pages describing the new cameras features and specs

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d5200/

This is gonna be a pretty impressive bit of kit and serious competition for the Rebel line.

Hopefully it won't have a tilted image relative to the viewfinder like many of the D5100s I tested!
Despite which I just got a 3rd d5100 cuz they're just so low cost right now.

appended
this is not a rumor! :)

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
accordin' to:

www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/nikon-d5200-1110231/review

the sensor in the 5200 is not the same as the one in the 3200
and here's the interesting part

"The D5200 uses a new 24.1-million effective pixel sensor that has not been seen elsewhere and according to Nikon we can expect the new device to have a more extensive dynamic range."

really?!?... Su-wheet! :)
cuz the d5100 DR is pretty awesome at low ISO, the d3200's less than a stop behind it, despite the tiny pixels.

So if they've managed to bump the DR back up a little, comparable to at least the D5100 again on a per-pixel basis, that's gonna be a wicked little imaging tool!

My Rebels already sit in a drawer while I take my D5100s all over the place.

Upvote 0
Daniel Flather said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Salesmanship and lower price trumps technical capability every time.

+10 e.g. Mp3 vs. vinyl.

No, MP3 destroyed CD's and CD's took out tapes, tapes took out vinyl. The audio quality on tapes was poor but had a much easier time going places, since people don't sit in their house listening to music and would like to take it with them tape won. CD brought back a lot of sound quality from tape and kept most of the durability (could be scratched but wouldn't be eaten by the player). CD got taken out by MP3 because of an ease of purchasing and better handling (no skipping, no scratching). Being able to sit at home and buy from iTunes or run with your music was another step in the right direction while only giving up nominal sound quality.

Most people can't tell the diiference between a 256kbps mp3 and a CD, 98% of people can't tell the difference between 320kbps mp3 and a CD, no one can tell the difference between FLAC and CD.

Vinyl is the biggest offender of the bunch and even though it's the hotness in audiophile land these days it's mostly for nostalgia.

Mp3's took out vinyl not because of salesmanship or price (vinyl is cheaper a lot of times than an itunes album if you look around) but because it's a better format for the majority of people as it does what they want it to do.

//audiophile
//I'm sorry, I can't help it.

Upvote 0
W

weekendshooter

etg9 said:
Daniel Flather said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Salesmanship and lower price trumps technical capability every time.

+10 e.g. Mp3 vs. vinyl.

No, MP3 destroyed CD's and CD's took out tapes, tapes took out vinyl. The audio quality on tapes was poor but had a much easier time going places, since people don't sit in their house listening to music and would like to take it with them tape won. CD brought back a lot of sound quality from tape and kept most of the durability (could be scratched but wouldn't be eaten by the player). CD got taken out by MP3 because of an ease of purchasing and better handling (no skipping, no scratching). Being able to sit at home and buy from iTunes or run with your music was another step in the right direction while only giving up nominal sound quality.

Most people can't tell the diiference between a 256kbps mp3 and a CD, 98% of people can't tell the difference between 320kbps mp3 and a CD, no one can tell the difference between FLAC and CD.

Vinyl is the biggest offender of the bunch and even though it's the hotness in audiophile land these days it's mostly for nostalgia.

Mp3's took out vinyl not because of salesmanship or price (vinyl is cheaper a lot of times than an itunes album if you look around) but because it's a better format for the majority of people as it does what they want it to do.

//audiophile
//I'm sorry, I can't help it.

I can most DEFINITELY tell the difference between all of those things. My favorite recordings I own are FLAC rips of vinyl records, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, and many others.

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
weekendshooter said:
My favorite recordings I own are FLAC rips of vinyl records, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, and many others.
Oh yes! Rip vilyl! I have ripped lots! Abba, Bay City Rollers, The Beatles, The Bee Gees, Blondie, Boney M, Buddy Holly and many others. 100+ albums in all.

Oops, sorry this is a photography forum. I'll shut up. Besides I don't much care for the Nikon hammer. Quite happy with the Canon one even though it may not have the best sensor and is 2 MP lighter...

Upvote 0
etg9 said:

I definitely notice a difference in sound quality when hooking my iPod to my stereo and playing lossless formats compared to my CD's. I'm guessing it's the DAC's and the cable.

I try to choose a CD every time when at home. For road trips, I bring my iTouch and about 30 compact discs.

http://michaelhodgesfiction.com/

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
aznable said:
Aglet said:
My Rebels already sit in a drawer while I take my D5100s all over the place.

are you a collector of entry level cameras?

Inadvertently, yes. :)

They do an excellent job for low ISO IQ in decent light, nearly as well as their pro-level contemporaries.
They cost a pittance second-hand and are easily resold with minimal, if any, loss of value if you don't keep them too long.
Entry level DSLRs are great cost/performance value, especially used ones! I used plenty of them from Canon's Rebel line; the 350D, 400D, ending with the 450D. Newer models had too much Canon characteristic red banding noise then the prices started going up too fast so switched to the Nikon D5100. D5100 lacks a few minor features even older Rebel series had but the IQ/cost is terrific. Worth it to me to keep some of both lines in inventory when I need a small light body to travel with and I know the work will be within their limitations.

I have good glass for both mounts, gives me plenty of options, depending on what I'm shooting.
I keep a few 450Ds and D5100s around, generally mounted to lenses I don't often use.
I reserve my big guns for more critical work, where their higher-end features are needed or warranted and their better raw files support more intensive PP work.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Mikael Risedal said:
Nikon has now another partner besides Sony, Aptina Renesas and it's Toshiba. The sensor in the camera is a Toshiba manufactured sensor.

I was just about to post that. :)
Toshiba's been out of the limelight in electronics for a while. I hope Nikon was not exaggerating when one of their people said the d5200's sensor will not only be different from the d3200 but will also be measurably better.
Toshiba has the fab and tech to produce pretty much anything from heavy power devices to the best sensors so hopefully this is another source of top quality silicon fabrication for Nikon to tap into with their patents & licensing.

Which now leaves us wondering, what sensor and what will be the performance of it when it comes to Nikon's pro-level crop bodies; D400? D7200?.. They should better the consumer bodies by a little bit.
And is Nikon waiting for Canon to announce 7D Mark II or 70D before they release these new crop bodies?
Waiting game for all of us now.

Meanwhile, if anyone's looking, Pentax is selling off their Q and K-01 stock in north america and likely around the planet at really low prices. I just ordered a K-01 with 40mm kit lens for a pittance. Looked forward to finding out what it's good for; video perhaps.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.