Nikon unveils 24.1MP D5200 DSLR with optional WiFi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know who are their customers or what they care about. Looking at their sales numbers, they don't have a clue either.

Now, about the D5200:
* 720 GBP is exactly what the 60D is selling for at amazon.co.uk, so expect US price to be around $900
* 1080 video at 50 and 60 fps is interlaced, so please forget about those frame rates; from the spec list, this camera shoots 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p30, 720p50, 720p60

("interlaced" is not video, it's just a tool for torturing my poor soul)

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I must sayin was impressed seriously with the 5d3, the only thing I didn't like because the 5d2 was better was IQ.. people needed to really try to say the 5d3 had better IQ! But it has marginal better color, and less sharp, same res, same noise under 1600 and less DR. I'mpI'm pretty sure everybody expected and iq upgrade like the one from 5dc to 5d2...

The got ONE camera right since way back, the 1dx. They need to make better lower priced cameras to compete at all the next five years. They may keep a lot of customers but won't get any new ones...

Upvote 0
hambergler said:
DB said:
verysimplejason said:
RLPhoto said:
Canon is acting quite a bit like Kodak lately.

Unable to innovate, don't want to innovate, stubborn, hard-headed, doesn't listen to customers/users?

So the new AF in the 5D3 is not listening to Canon 5D2 owners??

So IS becoming standard on even short-focal length primes as well as the new 24-70 standard zoom is not listening to customers??

Canon is listening to customers, they're just not listening to the vocal minority ???

Who asked for IS on short-focal length primes. If anything I'd say most people wanted internal zoom and IS on the 24-70. I still bought one anyway.

Honestly the DR thing nobody really wasn't even on most people's radar until the D800 came out so I can forgive them on that.

What I would be interested in is a new

14-24
updated zoom: 16-35 L II
updated primes 35, 50 (1.2L or 1.4) and 85 mm L lenses
make 5D/1D series bodies all have WiFi/GPS/ Radio Flash Trigger built in
stop crippling video output
prices that are not out of whack

In the Future a high MP high DR sensor.

The last thing that got me really excited was the 200-400 1.4TC lens which I would like to own someday.

Who asked? Easy question. Answer: videographers - you know those guys who purchased the 5D2 and made it a global HD video phenomenon (+ millions of buyers who purchase Rebels to shoot 1080p HD video).

Canon have to cater for the masses not the vocal minority on CR.

Price you say are out of whack...well for the last half a dozen years the DSLR/Lens market has doubled (literally) so it was a 'volume' market, but now retail sales are suffering globally for non-essential items, so Canon has to react by protecting 'margins' and if necessary sell fewer goods albeit at a lightly higher price...OR be like Nikon and go for market share and see sales up but profits down (check their last quarter results).

Upvote 0
L

leolol

Who asked for IS on short-focal length primes. If anything I'd say most people wanted internal zoom and IS on the 24-70. I still bought one anyway.

Honestly the DR thing nobody really wasn't even on most people's radar until the D800 came out so I can forgive them on that.

14-24

The last thing that got me really excited was the 200-400 1.4TC lens which I would like to own someday.

wow. 50 1.2 is'nt old and works great, 16-35 II is already out and is also a great lens, 35 1.4L is also a good lens, 85 1.2 II is great. Wifi/GPS in a pro body? everybody complains about them in the 6D, but yeah i think that would be nice. I'd say canon is still top with the video quality.

Upvote 0
leolol said:

14-24

wow. 50 1.2 is'nt old and works great, 16-35 II is already out and is also a great lens, 35 1.4L is also a good lens, 85 1.2 II is great. Wifi/GPS in a pro body? everybody complains about them in the 6D, but yeah i think that would be nice. I'd say canon is still top with the video quality.

50 1.2 is not that sharp wide open and focus is somewhat spotty I have not tried since I got my 5D III though

85 1.2 slow to focus last updated 2003

16-35II and 35 1.4 is a good lenses I agree but can definitely be improved with better corner sharpness/ sharpness wide open and I would love to have seen them updated before adding a 24-70 F4 IS for 1499.

Upvote 0
L

leolol

50 1.2 is not that sharp wide open and focus is somewhat spotty I have not tried since I got my 5D III though

85 1.2 slow to focus last updated 2003

16-35II and 35 1.4 is a good lenses I agree but can definitely be improved with better corner sharpness/ sharpness wide open and I would love to have seen them updated before adding a 24-70 F4 IS for 1499.

50 1.2 isnt here to be top sharp at 1.2. its here to have 1.2 ;) 85 is slow because of the amount of glass it needs for focusing (they have some kind of af with bearings etc). 16-35 II is really good for a wide angle lens that is able to use filters and 35 1.4.. yeah could but i see more use for a really close focusing 24-70.

Upvote 0
Also look at the developments in low-light photography - both the D5200 and 650D have ISO expandable to 25,600 (remember a few years back when the max ISO on a 1D was 3200) - this puts additional pressure on AF, particularly spot-AF in poor lighting conditions (read the 1DIV review on this site).

So Canon obviously does have some 'method in their madness', which is why I think the new 6D will surprise some people

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
One notable flaw these Nikon D3xxx and 5xxx bodies have - I assume this one does too - is that the cameras lack focus motors; so a fair number of Nikon lenses are manual-focus only on these cameras. If I were interested in a Nikon crop-sensor DSLR (I'm not, really; having been seduced by FF it's hard to go back) that would rule them out - though I dare say most people don't care. It will be interesting to see what they come up with for a successor to the D7000, which doesn't have that flaw.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Basti187 said:
wow that will kill the rebel sales, sounds like a very nice dslr, especially for video with 1080/60
People have been making comments like this for many years now. The vast majority of Rebel buyers walk into Best Buy or other big box store and go for the cheapest camera that looks professional. 95% of them have no clue as to what the specifications mean.
Canon has been pulling away from Nikon in DSLR sales.
Its kinda like the Sony Betamax versus VHS. Salesmanship and lower price trumps technical capability every time.
Canon will drop another new model with a couple of minor new features next Spring, and people will rush to buy it because its the latest model.

Upvote 0
W

weekendshooter

sdsr said:
One notable flaw these Nikon D3xxx and 5xxx bodies have - I assume this one does too - is that the cameras lack focus motors; so a fair number of Nikon lenses are manual-focus only on these cameras. If I were interested in a Nikon crop-sensor DSLR (I'm not, really; having been seduced by FF it's hard to go back) that would rule them out - though I dare say most people don't care. It will be interesting to see what they come up with for a successor to the D7000, which doesn't have that flaw.

That's becoming less and less relevant these days. Just about every major focal length is covered by an AF-S lens that doesn't require an in-body motor, and the customer in the market for one of these cameras wouldn't consider old lenses that are no longer widely available anyway. The only gaping hole I see in the current lens lineup is a cheap full-frame 35mm; the fantastic 35/1.8G crop lens makes me jealous whenever I use my girlfriend's D5100.

Upvote 0
Viggo said:
I must sayin was impressed seriously with the 5d3, the only thing I didn't like because the 5d2 was better was IQ.. people needed to really try to say the 5d3 had better IQ! But it has marginal better color, and less sharp, same res, same noise under 1600 and less DR. I'mpI'm pretty sure everybody expected and iq upgrade like the one from 5dc to 5d2...

Granted that the improvement in IQ of the 5D2 over the 5DC was greater than between the 5D3 and 5D2, it still wasn't that dramatic. According the DxO, the 5D2 has 0.8 extra stop of DR, and 0.8 additional bits of color depth. Even DxO states that "differences below 1 bit are barely noticeable." That said, there was a huge jump in resolution between the 5DC and MK2, but not many people were saying they needed more resolution out of the MK3.

Sensors aside, IMHO the improvement in the overall camera is much greater between the 5D3 and 5D2 than it is between the 5D2 and 5DC. Compared to the 5DC, the 5D2 was basically a slightly improved sensor in the same POS body with the same POS ergonomics, POS build quality, and POS AF system. Yeah, I wouldn't mind an extra stop or two of DR, but the 5D3 is such a huge improvement - as on overall package - over the 5D2 that I'm a happy camper. Its world-class AF system and very respectable burst rate combined with its low-light performance make it so much easier for me to make money with it ;D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.