Nikon vs Canon resale values

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Hi

Talking to a friend about which camera manufacturer's pro level lens have a higher resale value?

We were split on our opinion but neither of us had any hard data.

for the current version of Canon L lens vs Nikon equivalent, which has high resale value?

Do the white lenses show wear more easily than Nikon's black lens?

Thanks for your thoughts.

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I have not seen a study, but bought a Nikon 200-400mm f/4G VC for $2600 locally about 3 years ago. That was a gigantic cut from its retail price.

was that current or previous version when you purchased it.

Nikon frequently updates their lenses, too frequently IMO

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
unfocused said:
If you really want to know, go to eBay. Search on a specific lens and then filter it for "sold listings."

My personal opinion is that resale value is the worst of all possible reasons to choose a brand.

Not a reason to select a brand, just had a bit of banter and would like to "fact check"

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
It's not just how much stuff resells for, it's also how much and how long it takes to resell.

But it's a bit of a loaded question, because within both systems there are items which are blazing hot sellers (eg 70-200 2.8) and then there's plenty of stuff that will stay on there forever unless you put it up for auction, and then it won't sell at a very good price.

Upvote 0
Talys said:
It's not just how much stuff resells for, it's also how much and how long it takes to resell.

But it's a bit of a loaded question, because within both systems there are items which are blazing hot sellers (eg 70-200 2.8) and then there's plenty of stuff that will stay on there forever unless you put it up for auction, and then it won't sell at a very good price.

And where you are located. We are lucky to live in a big city with a huge used market. If you are stuck selling gear on keh or in store you won't expect to see as good of prices.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Ryananthony said:
Talys said:

And where you are located. We are lucky to live in a big city with a huge used market. If you are stuck selling gear on keh or in store you won't expect to see as good of prices.

+1

Yeah, being in a big city makes a huge difference. Especially for expensive stuff, a lot of people will pay more if they can see that an item is in mint condition, has no AF issues and that kind of thing.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
RGF said:
I have not seen a study, but bought a Nikon 200-400mm f/4G VC for $2600 locally about 3 years ago. That was a gigantic cut from its retail price.

was that current or previous version when you purchased it.

Nikon frequently updates their lenses, too frequently IMO

It was around the time the VR II came out. The selling price on ebay at the time was around $4500. I kept it, and even bought a D300S to use with it. I also used a adaptor for my canon cameras. Finally, I sold it and the D300S. It was just something to play with for a while at a price I could afford.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
ahsanford said:
Compare and contrast at your leisure:

http://www.nikonpricewatch.com/

https://www.cpricewatch.com/

I believe there are some listings of refurbs and used there. Certainly they are for Canon, but I haven't mined the Nikon side. (It's probably there as I believe both sites are run by the same folks.)

- A

Nikon Price Watch is pretty much dead, no updates since 2014.

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
Talys said:
RGF said:

No. Canon's white lenses are built like tanks. You don't need to be gentle with them.

really. Perhaps structurally, but I find that unless I am gentle handling them, I get dinks in the white coating

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
RGF said:
Talys said:
RGF said:

No. Canon's white lenses are built like tanks. You don't need to be gentle with them.

really. Perhaps structurally, but I find that unless I am gentle handling them, I get dinks in the white coating

Yes, that's true, but you get dinks in black coating with metal black lenses too, no? :D

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
ahsanford said:
Compare and contrast at your leisure:

http://www.nikonpricewatch.com/

https://www.cpricewatch.com/

I believe there are some listings of refurbs and used there. Certainly they are for Canon, but I haven't mined the Nikon side. (It's probably there as I believe both sites are run by the same folks.)

- A

Nikon Price Watch is pretty much dead, no updates since 2014.

He doesn't care. He is just running up his post tally! And apparently drinking lots of very strong coffee.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Aglet said:
I'd agree. Canon resale value holds up better than it should.
Which is why switching systems is easy.... you'll get most of your $ back when you sell your Canon gear. ;D

Hahaha. I love your logic, bud! Toyota owners should sell their cars and buy Chryslers, coz they'll get an amazing return on their Camry!!! ;D

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Talys said:
Aglet said:
I'd agree. Canon resale value holds up better than it should.
Which is why switching systems is easy.... you'll get most of your $ back when you sell your Canon gear. ;D

Hahaha. I love your logic, bud! Toyota owners should sell their cars and buy Chryslers, coz they'll get an amazing return on their Camry!!! ;D

Camry? Ha ha ha ha ha ha! Those are fleet cars.

Upvote 0