Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Reactions: 2 users

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
What is it that affects the minimum focus distance? For example, RF 100-500 is less than 1m. Is it a question of designing with optimalization at usual wildlife and birding distances in mind verses designing for versatility?
The 500mm also becomes a 250-ish mm at MFD.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
What is it that affects the minimum focus distance? For example, RF 100-500 is less than 1m. Is it a question of designing with optimalization at usual wildlife and birding distances in mind verses designing for versatility?
I think it’s a question of the lensmakers equation relating focal length to image and object distance. As the object gets closer to a fixed lens, the image gets projected further and further back. When it approaches the focal length away from the lens, the image gets close to infinity. The focal length of a lens has to decrease to for close focussing using the focus mechanism. So, the longer the prime, the longer the minimum focal distance. You can get a shorter mfd by having a powerful mechanism for shortening the focal length. That’s easy for a zoom but difficult for a prime. Also, the mfd is measured from the sensor, not the end of the lens.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Nikon has announced the latest PF lens. Weighs the same as the 500mm f/5.6 PF at 1.47 kg without hood. Its minimum focus distance is longer at 4m. 95mm thread. It will be a winner for Nikon among birders and wild life photographers. Not cheap at £5000/$4800. Pity it doesn’t have the 3m mfd of the 500mm PF.

Looks like Nikon have a clearly defined target: wildlife and sports photographers.
Intelligent strategy!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Looks like Nikon have a clearly defined target: wildlife and sports photographers.
Intelligent strategy!
I spent a year or two with the Nikon 500 f/5.6 PF, the predecessor of the new Z 600 f/6.3, and loved it. But I now love the RF 100-500mm even more because of its zoom capabilities and nearly 3x shorter mfd, although a tad less sharp. I think I would really enjoy the Z 600 f/6.3 but would be frustrated at the lack of zoom and its long mfd. That's purely personal as there are many pros and enthusiasts who delight in their 600/4 primes. On the other hand, the RF 100-400mm is so light and small, I could hike and travel with it and a really light Canon prime.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I spent a year or two with the Nikon 500 f/5.6 PF, the predecessor of the new Z 600 f/6.3, and loved it. But I now love the RF 100-500mm even more because of its zoom capabilities and nearly 3x shorter mfd, although a tad less sharp. I think I would really enjoy the Z 600 f/6.3 but would be frustrated at the lack of zoom and its long mfd. That's purely personal as there are many pros and enthusiasts who delight in their 600/4 primes. On the other hand, the RF 100-400mm is so light and small, I could hike and travel with it and a really light Canon prime.
Even though I'm no longer into birding :cry:,I still need a longer focal for landscapes or the odd bird/animal. No tele prime offers the same versatility as a tele-zoom, in my case the EF 100-400. Especially when hiking in the Alps, I really appreciate not having to change lenses, often not even for a macro. If I didn't have (and love) the EF, I'd sure buy the RF 100-500, an even better lens according to your testing.
I believe Canon are right when replacing or completing their big whites with zoom "equivalents".
PS: The EF 100-400 and the TSE 24mm II were for me the reason to go Canon, and not Nikon...no regrets!

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Even though I'm no longer into birding :cry:,I still need a longer focal for landscapes or the odd bird/animal. No tele prime offers the same versatility as a tele-zoom, in my case the EF 100-400. Especially when hiking in the Alps, I really appreciate not having to change lenses, often not even for a macro. If I didn't have (and love) the EF, I'd sure buy the RF 100-500, an even better lens according to your testing.
I believe Canon are right when replacing or completing their big whites with zoom "equivalents".
PS: The EF 100-400 and the TSE 24mm II were for me the reason to go Canon, and not Nikon...no regrets!
For hiking for an old guy like me, it has to be either the RF 100-500mm on the R5 or I must admit increasingly the RF 100-400mm on the R7. If I were to go on a safari or where I didn't need to walk, a 200-800 would be my choice, and I will get one if Canon brings it out. On my best safari ever, in Tanzania, I missed some really good too-close shots by being taken by surprise in the Jeep with 800mm on the 5DIV (400mm DO II + 2xTc) but fortunately my wife had the EF 100-400mm II on the 5DSR which frankly was more useful (with the 1.4xTC it had at least as good resolution). I think, although I don't have the sales figures, that Nikon is producing very fine products for a niche community and Canon knows what it is doing.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I think it’s a question of the lensmakers equation relating focal length to image and object distance. As the object gets closer to a fixed lens, the image gets projected further and further back. When it approaches the focal length away from the lens, the image gets close to infinity. The focal length of a lens has to decrease to for close focussing using the focus mechanism. So, the longer the prime, the longer the minimum focal distance. You can get a shorter mfd by having a powerful mechanism for shortening the focal length. That’s easy for a zoom but difficult for a prime. Also, the mfd is measured from the sensor, not the end of the lens.
Thanks for explaining.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Weight of the f/6.3 Z super tele primes
- 600mm: 1390g
- 800mm: 2385g
vs Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM 1070g
If I was retired I'd go with these Z primes.
Weight of
- volleyball: 270 g
- basketball: 605 g
vs two-slice toaster 975 g
If I was retired I’d eat toast.

See, I can compare and choose between unrelated things with different uses, too!

• Haha
Upvote 0