Nikon's D4 Officially Official

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

briansquibb

cfargo said:
briansquibb said:
dilbert said:
To look at this another way, Nikon can sell a 2xTC with their 600mm f/4, giving someone a 1200mm lens at f/8 that works on their top of the line DSLR. Canon does not have anything functional to compete with that.

Quick - buy a 1D4 and keep the f/8 for the 600+2x

Price of used 1Ds3 has started to come down - I am mighty tempted to buy a low actuation body for £2500/c $3800 and sell the 2x7D and 5DII which would pay for it.

I know many that no longer use their 1Ds3 preferring to use their 5D2 instead. Some of these are Canon Explorers of Light. If you’re shooting something that needs speed, then go with the 1D4 otherwise the 5D2 for portraiture and landscapes. Just my 2 cents.

There is so much better with the 1Ds3 - like the AF and high iso etc

I know that lots dont like the size and weight of the 1 series, but they are fine for me

I have decided to go with the 1Ds3 and keep the 5DII as well, so just need to sell the two 7Ds

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
dilbert said:
To look at this another way, Nikon can sell a 2xTC with their 600mm f/4, giving someone a 1200mm lens at f/8 that works on their top of the line DSLR. Canon does not have anything functional to compete with that.

Quick - buy a 1D4 and keep the f/8 for the 600+2x

Price of used 1Ds3 has started to come down - I am mighty tempted to buy a low actuation body for £2500/c $3800 and sell the 2x7D and 5DII which would pay for it.

in the last couple of months the price of used 1D4s have gone up considerably

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
dilbert said:
What might end up happening is a 1DXn within the next 12 months that addresses this issue and this issue alone - that is unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat between now and general availability of the 1DX.

A firmware update to the 1DX might do it. unless the underlying hardware is just not capable, in which case Canon has some serious egg on face

Upvote 0
dlleno said:
dilbert said:
What might end up happening is a 1DXn within the next 12 months that addresses this issue and this issue alone - that is unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat between now and general availability of the 1DX.

A firmware update to the 1DX might do it. unless the underlying hardware is just not capable, in which case Canon has some serious egg on face
Unless they sacrificed f/8 AF for AF accuracy. It depends on what is more important to each photographer.

Upvote 0
dlleno said:
sure -- f8 AF performance is likely to be worse than f/5.6, so Canon will have to decide if reduced functionality/performance AF is worth it, compared to what Nikon is offering.
From bits and pieces I've picked up (not necessarily reliable), f/8 AF could affect performance across the board, including fast primes. At Focus on Imaging, the question was asked by a wildlife pro about f/8 (to the CPS rep, who had only had the camera overnight) and the response was, would you prefer f/8 AF or better accuracy with all other lenses? The photographer conceded reluctantly that AF on f/8 lenses (i.e. big whites with extenders) wasn't very quick or reliable anyway.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
Thats an interesting take. I suspect the market (Nikon) will determine the need for f/8 AF, and that if Canon wanted to adjust their firmware to enable f/8 AF while preserving full capability /performance at f/5.6 they could do it. High performance AF may be the differentiator that Canon is going for, though, and for the pro series bodies they could win the argument on the technical merits, i.e. if what you say is true then not many pros will jump brands just to get poorer AF performance at f/8

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.