No longer doomed!

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
OMG. So Canon is actually reading the DPReview comment section ;) But seriously, I'd give a lot to be able to snoop on the internal politicking that leads to this sort of decisions that are bound to cause controversy.

Agreed. It was odd for them to leave it out of the 90d and M6 Mark ii and then doubly-odd to reverse their decision scarcely one month later (and looping in the RP). I suspect they thought they could get customers to move up to the R to get 24p at 1080 and that this ill-advised cash grab didn't pan out.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... to makibg useful firmware updates now.
At least Canon is making useful firmware updates. (y)

Other companies make new models within just about 2 years, forcing customers to pay a second time for the additional function or eliminating a flaw and spoiling the second hand market :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Agreed. It was odd for them to leave it out of the 90d and M6 Mark ii and then doubly-odd to reverse their decision scarcely one month later (and looping in the RP). I suspect they thought they could get customers to move up to the R to get 24p at 1080 and that this ill-advised cash grab didn't pan out.

I suspect Canon thought, correctly, that the typical user of these cameras is a consumer whose best choice is using 30p (29.98) in the U.S and other NTSC countries and 25p in PAL countries because that is what their televisions use and what most basic video editors for consumers use. Thus they were trying to simplify the choice that gives the majority of the buyers of those products the best user experience.

By adding 24p as a firmware update, they can have their cake and eat it too. The average home video shooter isn't likely to do a firmware update after the purchase. The rare wanna-be filmmaker that thinks even the cheaper models should offer everything the higher models do can now STFU about no 24p on a camera they never, ever had any intention of buying even if it does offer 24p.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I suspect Canon thought, correctly, that the typical user of these cameras is a consumer whose best choice is using 30p (29.98) in the U.S and other NTSC countries and 25p in PAL countries because that is what their televisions use and what most basic video editors for consumers use. Thus they were trying to simplify the choice that gives the majority of the buyers of those products the best user experience.

By adding 24p as a firmware update, they can have their cake and eat it too. The average home video shooter isn't likely to do a firmware update after the purchase. The rare wanna-be filmmaker that thinks even the cheaper models should offer everything the higher models do can now STFU about no 24p on a camera they never, ever had any intention of buying even if it does offer 24p.

lol

Upvote 0