No new EOS R body shipping in 2019 [CR2]

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
...the second part of the answer ist that the M50 with the EF-M 32 (and a small bunch of other lenses) is a lot of camera if you are interested in photographic or video RESULTS and not in nitpicking / pixel peeping (I do the latter but I am physicist and I am always stunned how good tech is today, especially lenses). {Emphasis added}

I love my M50, and I'll likely buy an EOS R when the price drops.
Camera tech has advanced to such a degree that the features which separate a 'pro' from a 'non-pro' camera are dual and single card slots. The R would be considered a 'pro' body more than capable of producing images that can be sold if it had two card slots because dual slots diminish the risks associated with card failure. Why? Because it has a field tested sensor that has been used by professionals who have 5D IV cameras. Sensor tech and AF are that good today that IQ is no longer an issue for FF cameras. Beyond that, specific needs determine the best camera for a given goal.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The "higher-end DSLR" is the part that interests me. Too early for either a 5DV or a 1DIII I believe. Could be an XXD, a 7DIII or a 5DsII. The 80D remains an excellent camera and I don't see enough new features available to push most owners to update/upgrade their bodies. I think the 5Ds is more likely to be dropped in favor of a mirrorless version, which probably fits the typical 5Ds use case better. I'm letting my personal preferences influence my interpretation and hoping for a 7DIII.

Just my opinion, but Canon might release a new DSLR to send a signal to the market backing up their statements that they intend to continue to develop and market both DSLRs and EOS R series for the foreseeable future.

Upvote 0
i just put it out there as a possibility, but jeah its far too early for that. But what else could be meant with a "high end" dslr?

i can only see a 7d iii
the 80d series will probably be killed off and will be /is already replaced with the m50 (series)
No-one knows for sure, but I would suspect that a 1D Xiii will come soon - it needs to be ready for the 2020 olympics, so end of 2019, early 2020 would make sense. They could be referring to that?

Alternatively, we've heard rumours that the APS-C line will get a shakeup, and the obvious delays on refreshing the 80D and 7Dii could mean that those two lines meet somewhere in the middle. I wonder if the 7D is too professional for Canon's liking considering their significant investments into the full frame arena, and want to move the 7D series down and merge with the 80D as the highest end APS-C available. I could see a new line come out at the top of APS-C maybe? Who knows!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
How come this can be interpreted has...."normal" or without surprise? Canon is 3 years behind! They have answered to a change in the market in a terrible slower way! In the same way How come the lenses can serve as an excuse?? No way!! RF adapters and the existing lenses can give Canon the confidence to launch a Pro body! If they don´t launch it is because they don´t have it!
I don´t believe i am saying this.....but i see the good bye Canon, closer and closer....
Please, do us a favour, go wild and buy a Sony quick!

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Stop complaining : you can use the R in 720p if you want slow motion, what are you talking about. And if you want a quality recording you can always buy a 1k extrnal recording so you can finally start enjoying this camera. And you will have 5 amazing lenses in one year that will cost 3x the price of your body. Canon strategy completely makes sense !
R is a very capable camera. No 120p, yes 1.7 crop, so what? if it is the end of world for you, there are so many choices out there and you can always buy/rent whichever brand you want. If you are short of funds, as can be read in between lines from your message, it is not camera manufacturers' fault. Stop complaining here. It is childish and not funny any more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
I'm honestly tired of this narrative. The EOS R and EOS RP are both selling exceptionally well considering there are only 4 native RF mount lenses currently available. Yes, Canon is behind in the segment, but within 2-3 years, they're going to have a full EOS R/RF system. They'll also be #1 in the segment by then as well.

The EOS R system has existed for 198 days and there are already 10 lenses and two bodies announced. They are well ahead of where Sony was when they launched the A7 series 1983 days ago and they're already way out front of Nikon as far as lenses go and sales.

8mZOYGFJ.jpg

Upvote 0
No, thanks. Keep the 7D where it is.
i dont think they meet somewhere in the middle because there is no real middle. the 7d series is a straigh up upgrade in every domain to the 80d series.
meeting in the middle would be a downgrade from the 7d ii even, as even the 7dii is better than the 80d except in sensor performance, at least for photos.

Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
i dont think they meet somewhere in the middle because there is no real middle. the 7d series is a straigh up upgrade in every domain to the 80d series.
meeting in the middle would be a downgrade from the 7d ii even, as even the 7dii is better than the 80d except in sensor performance, at least for photos.
I'm thinking the 80D line is done. T8i or 7D Mark III will probably be the next APS-C camera.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I'm honestly tired of this narrative. The EOS R and EOS RP are both selling exceptionally well considering there are only 4 native RF mount lenses currently available. Yes, Canon is behind in the segment, but within 2-3 years, they're going to have a full EOS R/RF system. They'll also be #1 in the segment by then as well.

The EOS R system has existed for 198 days and there are already 10 lenses and two bodies announced. They are well ahead of where Sony was when they launched the A7 series 1983 days ago and they're already way out front of Nikon as far as lenses go and sales.
You obviously don't understand....

Let me explain this for you....

They just barely launched the system....
Only four lenses so far, but about ten more coming this year....
The reviews are great....
It is selling VERY well.....
It works with all the legacy EF glass, and most of the second party glass....
They are now #1 in the low cost FF mirrorless segment....

Obviously, this means that Canon is doomed!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

epiieq1

EOS 5D III, 1DX
Aug 9, 2013
Absolutely NOT. There are too many options available. Doesn't make sense for Canon to bypass wedding season for 2020 and release only pro level lenses without a pro body, placing there bets on a camera days before the Tokyo Olympics. My bet would be that Canon as usual is holding it's cards until this summer.

Why not? They're already bypassing wedding season 2019.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Now the question is, do you buy the R or RP to hold you over until then?
I am seriously thinking about adding the RP as a non-action camera body to my gear, I like its tiny form factor and lightness. Plus, I like its AF focus bracketing feature, should be nice for macro shooting - Canon should implement it in the R, too, maybe by firmware update (I guess it is a software only feature). The only thing I miss in the specs compared with the R is the closed shutter for sensor dust protection during lens change. Reminds me of my old New Mamiya 6 btw ;)

Upvote 0

I'm one of the recent additions to those sales numbers. I had been holding off on a purchase until I knew what other options would be released. All this talk of the R not being a proper "pro-level" body (whatever that means at this point) had been something that had delayed my decision to pull the trigger on the R.

For context, I'm a full time food and product photographer (who occasionally needs to do environmental portrait work for clients). I also enjoy travel photography for fun. I've been shooting mostly on a 6D, which was an absolute bargain when it came out compared to the 5Diii, and continued to do the job. So for me, the EOS R is a step up in pretty much every single conceivable way, and yet again at a great price point in comparison to the 5Div.

The R has been an absolute joy to use. I don't shoot fast action where I need crazy frame rates with continuous autofocus, and I've never used a second card slot (although testing the R's instant smartphone backup, it definitely would give me ample peace of mind in any situation that would call for one). It's a brilliant camera, with only a few minor compromises when compared to the competition out there (I'd have loved 120p at full HD). Over the weeks, I've customised it to be perfect for my needs, and now that the muscle memory is building up, it's fantastic in the hands.

I cannot get my head around all the people saying the new lenses are wasted on the R body, which supposedly can't make best use of them. Were these same people saying that the 6D and 5D series were unsuitable for Canon's top L lenses? It's a 5Div sensor in the R for crying out loud! It has some of Canon's best 1080p video quality, it has a phenomenal EVF that completely changed my mind about EVFs. In what way, exactly are lenses and number of card slots related?

To all these naysayers: Yes, I understand your frustrations. We all hoped for something truly revolutionary. But rent an EOS R for a week, and you might be surprised. I very unenthusiastically made my purchase, but it's quickly become my firm favourite.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
DSLR is the best tool to take astrophotography.(y)
Right, less sensor heating issues... I hope, too, that there will a few good DSLR offerings for special fields of photography will survive the mirrorless take-over of the market for while.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
That is a question I always answer with
"If I am in NEED for FF I will go to the next shop and decide which camera I will buy" - at the moment the EOS R would win because RP is too crippled in some ways and there is more hope that features will be added to the EOS R (while this is non typically Canon to add substantial features per firmware update).

And the second part of the answer ist that the M50 with the EF-M 32 (and a small bunch of other lenses) is a lot of camera if you are interested in photographic or video RESULTS and not in nitpicking / pixel peeping (I do the latter but I am physicist and I am always stunned how good tech is today, especially lenses).

I don't do video, so I don't care about no 24p mode, but the RP is a lot of fun to shoot with. It seems to be more responsive than the m50, which is strange since it's the same Digic 8, same LCD and same EVF and 2 more megapixels. As you can see below, one is more easy to bring on a trip than the other :)

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
To all these naysayers: Yes, I understand your frustrations. We all hoped for something truly revolutionary. But rent an EOS R for a week, and you might be surprised. I very unenthusiastically made my purchase, but it's quickly become my firm favourite.
The R really seems to be able to win over some photographer's hearts when it gets down to real life use, Steve Huff e. g. loves it, too. I think Canon (like Nikon) can design photographic tools that turn the process of shooting in an easy and smoothely flowing process. That's much more important than being king of freaking spec numbers, since all digital cameras are very good now.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0