Off Brand: Sony Readying Branded Medium Format System?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/03/off-brand-sony-readying-branded-medium-format-system/"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/03/off-brand-sony-readying-branded-medium-format-system/">Tweet</a></div>
<p>There has been <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/08/canon-looking-to-medium-format/" target="_blank">a lot of rumors about Canon making a move into the medium format segment</a>, it’s even been suggested we’ll get a development announcement for such a camera at Photokina in September of this year. Canon has recently moved into security cameras and industrial cameras to find growth in new markets, it would make sense to give an EOS branded medium format system a go.</p>
<p>Sony, a big manufacturer of medium format sensors for the likes of Hasselblad are rumored to be readying a medium format system of their own. It would use the 50mp sensor currently found in the upcoming <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1034017-REG/hasselblad_h_3013668_h5d_50c_dslr_camera.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Hasselblad H5D-50C</a>.</p>
<p><strong>Sensor information:

</strong>Sensor Type:  50 Megapixels CMOS (8272 x 6200, 5.3 × 5.3 μm)

Sensor Dimensions:  32.9 x 43.8mm (sensor is physically 70% larger than a Full Frame sensor)

Image Size:  RAW 3FR capture 65MB on average. TIFF 8 bit: 154MB (on the Hasselblad H5D-50c).</p>
<p>It’s noted that Sony has no interest in competing with Hasselblad or Phase One and that their medium format camera would be something “completely different”. Perhaps a compact MF system?</p>
<p>Sony is being quite aggressive in trying to find new markets in still cameras, and if the system is priced affordably for medium format, they could have a winner if this true.</p>
<p>Source: [<a href="http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-surprising-rumor-first-hints-about-a-sony-medium-format-camera/" target="_blank">SAR</a>]</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
It'll certainly be something "completely different" from other digital MF: it won't exist. Even though Sony appears to be trying the 'scatter gun' approach to camera systems I cannot believe they will want to develop a system that's in a segment of ever decreasing market share and something of a niche area now. They havent been able to make much inroads into the Nikon/Canon upper end of the DSLR market let alone MF.

I think this rumour's about as credible as the Canon MF one - CR 0.

Upvote 0
On the other hand, Fujifilm and Ricoh have shown that there is some room for niche products. While it's hard to say if they are profitable, they are getting somewhat of a foothold?

If Sony is already making the MF sensor, the rest of the camera is not that big of a R&D investment, that is if it shares the lens mount with Hasselblad or some other existing system.

Canon has proven to be insanely reluctant to introduce anything new or innovating at least in regards to anything that might compete with it's own existing products, so yes, I agree a Canon MF system is probably not likely.

Upvote 0
I don't think you can call Sony a "big manufacturer of medium format sensors" when they've only just release their first! ???

There could be a market for a medium format mirrorless system, but there are still the issues of shutter vibration and heat generation on the sensor when generating a live view feed.

Lloyd Chambers (http://diglloyd.com/blog/2014/20140325_1-Sony-MF-CMOS.html) has suggested a fixed lens compact MF camera; possibly the best plan for Sony if they did want to push into MF, given their reticence with lenses for their existing mounts!

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
It’s noted that Sony has no interest in competing with Hasselblad or Phase One and that their medium format camera would be something “completely different”. Perhaps a compact MF system?
Sony is being quite aggressive in trying to find new markets in still cameras, and if the system is priced affordably for medium format, they could have a winner if this true.

If the new system can use the current Sony lenses, it would be a really a game changer.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
I can definitely picture Sony launching a medium format digital camera either targeting the Leica customers or perhaps a fixed lens 35mm (full frame equivalent) mirrorless body. Whatever it is, if it's reasonably priced (in the $4000 range) then it will generate lots of interest and buzz.

Upvote 0
cliffwang said:
Canon Rumors said:
It’s noted that Sony has no interest in competing with Hasselblad or Phase One and that their medium format camera would be something “completely different”. Perhaps a compact MF system?
Sony is being quite aggressive in trying to find new markets in still cameras, and if the system is priced affordably for medium format, they could have a winner if this true.

If the new system can use the current Sony lenses, it would be a really a game changer.

Current optics of FF Sony lenses might be too small for an MF.

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
They havent been able to make much inroads into the Nikon/Canon upper end of the DSLR market let alone MF.

According to their roadmap they're rather trying to approach that from the lower end, go for the upper echelons once they have a base. Looking at their market share in asian regions, the absolute performance of lets say the a6000 and A7r. the recent announcement of a CPS/NPS-like service and such the next 18 months or so might be interesting and prod Canon into actually doing something more exciting then slapping new labels on entry level bodies.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
Sony developed the 36MP sensor that graces the D800/D800E, Nikon rebadged it, but it was a sony designed sensor.

Sony have recently dropped that sensor into one of their own cameras, the A7R, which seems to have done well, not on CR of course, but they have brought the Camera to Market, it's doing well even though Sony hamstrung the thing with poor support regards available lenses etc.

Sony designed the 50MP CMOS Sensor now in the phase One IQ250, and Haselblad 50MP systems, I imagine it's no stretch of anyones imagination to think Sony will do with the 50MP sensor what they have done with the 36MP sensor, i.e., drop it into a Sony DSLR.

I believe that will be a wonderful thing to do, the Camera may or may not be successful, but it should prompt both Nikon & Canon to lift their game.

Canon have to a large degree taken the "safe" path with their Camera systems since the introduction of the 5DMK II, yes the 1Dx is a wonderful camera and system but it's not exactly cutting edge sensor science by a long shot, it's incremental adjustments to a tried & true system.

Sony at least are pushing the envelope, that's got to be good for us, the consumers.

Upvote 0
I definitely don't see a MF camera system being made.
What I do see is an RX1 like medium format fixed lens camera.
The RX1 seems to have been a fairly successful product and is very highly regarded.
I believe that Sony will play off this success and possibly upgrade the RX1 to medium format for Photokina.
A $3799 MF 35mm or 50mm RX1 will steal the show! This camera sounds truly awesome and would not compete directly with the a7 or it's lenses.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
Khufu said:
Am I the only person looking at the sensor dimensions and thinking "they get away with calling THAT medium format these days?... and people pay what?!"

Really, I'd just assumed "dMF" was worthwhile and comparable to MF (120/220). Are these figures for real?

I agree.

This shouldn't be called anything more than a FF+, it isn't even 2" wide. Not good enough.
While I don't think I'd ever want an 8x10, a digital 4x3" sounds just about right. Though they should probably design the lenses for a 5x4" sensor and then just use the largest sensors available (kind of like ten years ago).

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
It'll certainly be something "completely different" from other digital MF: it won't exist. Even though Sony appears to be trying the 'scatter gun' approach to camera systems I cannot believe they will want to develop a system that's in a segment of ever decreasing market share and something of a niche area now. They havent been able to make much inroads into the Nikon/Canon upper end of the DSLR market let alone MF.

I think this rumour's about as credible as the Canon MF one - CR 0.

The only reason the Full Frame vs Crop sensor debate isn't a Medium Format vs Full Frame is because of accessibility.

If Canon were to release a Medium Format solution, complete with new lenses many would drop full frame like a stone. As someone who shoots a H4D50 I can tell you there's no comparison between the two.

It's not even about MP for me either, 18mp is fine. Just massive pixels, large sensor please.

Upvote 0

RVB

1DX
Oct 18, 2012
9VIII said:
Khufu said:
Am I the only person looking at the sensor dimensions and thinking "they get away with calling THAT medium format these days?... and people pay what?!"

Really, I'd just assumed "dMF" was worthwhile and comparable to MF (120/220). Are these figures for real?

I agree.

This shouldn't be called anything more than a FF+, it isn't even 2" wide. Not good enough.
While I don't think I'd ever want an 8x10, a digital 4x3" sounds just about right. Though they should probably design the lenses for a 5x4" sensor and then just use the largest sensors available (kind of like ten years ago).

Leica uses a similar sized sensor in the S system and they call it "Pro Format",It's not a replacement for a Phase/Hasselblad FF sensor.

The rules of sensor size and resolving power are different between digital and film!FF digital like the D800e can out resolve 645 film,and on landscape magazine ran a great test that compares formats,the IQ180 can easily match 5x4 film .. see this article.. http://static.timparkin.co.uk/static/tmp/cameratest-2/800px.html

Upvote 0