Off Brand: The Nikon D850 Specifications List Grows

May 4, 2011
PureClassA said:
Quite the specs list. Wonder if we have a Sony 45 MP sensor in here like the A7R2. 45MP is awful high for general shooting. I know a wedding pro who laments the file sizes of the 36MP 810 already. I still think 20-30 range is ideal for most pro applications to keep big catalogs manageable.

Yeah...30MP on the 5D4 is already pushing it for general shooting applications - although I'll admit it's useful for cropping and still having a 20+ MP file in the vast majority of situations...once you get above 40MP that IMO gets into specialized shooting categories, at least until lenses and stabilization systems can catch up. I do not like Sony's tendency to cram as much MP as they can into their cameras, and same (to a lesser extent) with Nikon. Now Canon has started to follow suit...we were at 18-20MP for a few years and now all of a sudden the MP race is back in full swing. Hopefully the other "elements" can keep up...

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Act444 said:
Yeah...30MP on the 5D4 is already pushing it for general shooting applications - although I'll admit it's useful for cropping and still having a 20+ MP file in the vast majority of situations...once you get above 40MP that IMO gets into specialized shooting categories, at least until lenses and stabilization systems can catch up. I do not like Sony's tendency to cram as much MP as they can into their cameras, and same (to a lesser extent) with Nikon. Now Canon has started to follow suit...we were at 18-20MP for a few years and now all of a sudden the MP race is back in full swing. Hopefully the other "elements" can keep up...

The #1 and #2 most bulletproof ways to get a high asking price in a camera is FPS and resolution regardless of all the fair points one can make about neither mattering in general use.

Consider: in FF, the priciest rig for all three major manufacturers is also their highest FPS rig (D5 / 1DX2 / A9). And their second highest priced rig is also their highest resolution rig (D810, 5DS/R, A7R2).

I'm not saying FPS & resolution are the most important thing -- many of us would love a D810 sensor sitting in 24 MP or so (perhaps just the D750 sensor) -- but the market will simply pay more for those two specs than anything else.

- A

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
ahsanford said:
many of us would love a D810 sensor sitting in 24 MP or so (perhaps just the D750 sensor)

Yea exactly. From my playing with raw files from these cameras I can't see any difference - the D610 / D750 / D810 all as malleable as each other.

Unlike the 6DII :-X

Seriously though, if we're going to be that anal about horrendously pushed "IQ" the 5DIV can't compete with the ultra low read / conversion noise of the Nikons, but the fact is anyone with even a modicum of exposure control is never going to see any difference, or be left wanting.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
ahsanford said:
Act444 said:

The #1 and #2 most bulletproof ways to get a high asking price in a camera is FPS and resolution regardless of all the fair points one can make about neither mattering in general use.

Consider: in FF, the priciest rig for all three major manufacturers is also their highest FPS rig (D5 / 1DX2 / A9). And their second highest priced rig is also their highest resolution rig (D810, 5DS/R, A7R2).

I'm not saying FPS & resolution are the most important thing -- many of us would love a D810 sensor sitting in 24 MP or so (perhaps just the D750 sensor) -- but the market will simply pay more for those two specs than anything else.

- A

I wonder how it would look if you factored in number of units sold along with the price of each unit. High fps cameras cost a lot, but not all that many are sold, and that is also true of the high resolution rigs as well. My sense is that a lot more 5DIIIs and 5DIV's have been sold than 1D's and 5DS/R's (or D810's for that matter). Some people will pay for really high fps or mp's. But not that many. In this kind of situation, you wouldn't be able to maximize income by dropping price to boost volume.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
BillB said:
ahsanford said:
Act444 said:

I like that idea. And CIPA can do a report on how many pixels Canon sold vs pixels sold by Nikon and by Sony

- A

I wonder how it would look if you factored in number of units sold along with the price of each unit. High fps cameras cost a lot, but not all that many are sold, and that is also true of the high resolution rigs as well. My sense is that a lot more 5DIIIs and 5DIV's have been sold than 1D's and 5DS/R's (or D810's for that matter). Some people will pay for really high fps or mp's. But not that many. In this kind of situation, you wouldn't be able to maximize income by dropping price to boost volume.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
ahsanford said:
snoke said:
Who care about spec list?

All that matter is early leak of NEF file to photonstophotos.

You're so right. If the sensor magically gives 15 EVs of base ISO DR, who cares if it's only with 2 MP, 1 fps and 7 lazy AF points that occasionally get the shakes? ::)

- A
except for the pixel count... that's medium format. ;)

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Sporgon said:
ahsanford said:
many of us would love a D810 sensor sitting in 24 MP or so (perhaps just the D750 sensor)

Yea exactly. From my playing with raw files from these cameras I can't see any difference - the D610 / D750 / D810 all as malleable as each other.

Unlike the 6DII :-X

Seriously though, if we're going to be that anal about horrendously pushed "IQ" the 5DIV can't compete with the ultra low read / conversion noise of the Nikons, but the fact is anyone with even a modicum of exposure control is never going to see any difference, or be left wanting.

not accurate.
the same technique can still provide more range with an ABC than a C body.
So, altho you may be able to cover the same shot with either, you will still have more capability with an ABC.
Don't know why you didn't see the difference. Not looking in the dark with a magnifying glass? :)

Upvote 0

Diko

7 fps...
Apr 27, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
Haulien said:
Should've been the feature set of the 5D Mark IV! :'( :'(
True've been told there, brother!

My list is:
Canon Rumors said:
  • 45-46MP full frame CMOS sensor
(could use it for Landscape with that res.)

• Improved low and high ISO
(I wonder if SONYKON improves their improved ISO what would THAT HERE mean )

• Built-in Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
(I will always miss bluetooth on Canon 5D MarkIV. And even worse. Their app always remind me of that)

• Tiltable LCD touchscreen just like the D750 and D500
(Huge miss!)

• Back illuminated buttons
(Just lovely!)

• 8K time-lapse video capabilities
(Awesome! And IMHO it's a matter of simple firmware tweak.)

• 4k UHD video in FX format (with no crop)
  • Fast fps (8fps or more)

• New: slo-mo full HD 120fps video
(I neeed that one so much! Guess have better image processor)

• New: the SD slot will support UHS-II
(Kick's Canon scrumpy's ass.)

• New: improved battery life

I wonder what this would be:
  • New: improved LiveView split-screen display

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
Sharlin said:
Diko said:
  • 8K time-lapse video capabilities
(Awesome! And IMHO it's a matter of simple firmware tweak.)

I think you'll find it rather difficult to capture 8K frames with a 30MPix camera...

6K timelapses then? Oh wait, I can do it manually with timed remote, never mind :D

Upvote 0

Diko

7 fps...
Apr 27, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
SecureGSM said:
Life is never easy for those who dream... ;)
Ergo try not to fall asleep by missing the big memo. ;-)

I still don't understand how come any of you believed that the NIKON D850 would be less than 40 MPs ;-)

Oh yeah, and since I just checked it. There is 8K. The camera is better than 5D4 - DAMN!

Upvote 0