Over-lubed zoom ring?

Aug 22, 2013
Just got a new 16-35 f/4L (which I owned a few years back) from Amazon and the zoom ring is making an odd sound like they slopped on too much grease in the factory. Like its working out air bubbles or something whenever its turned to zoom. I've used it a little bit and sound still there. Anyone had this before? Don't recall having a lens with this issue previously. Zoom feels smooth just SOUNDS sticky :)

Aug 22, 2013
I don't think they use grease any more. The guides run on nylon bearings / wheels. I think you should exchange it, or have Canon look at it, there is no sense keeping a lens that is not right.
Alright I didn't realize that. Thought it would work itself out but it doesn't seem to be improving . Really weird issue

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I played with it a bit more , it seems the glue that holds the zoom ring rubber to the lens barrel is defective or something. Gonna get replacement
The zoom ring has a rubber band over it, no glue, it is held in place by its elastic properties. You stretch it out and pull it off the ring to get at some of the disassembly screws. Whatever it is, the replacement will be fine.

Upvote 0