P. audax on thistle bush

Drainpipe

It's all about the little things.
Aug 30, 2014
www.instagram.com
Very happy with these two shots, especially the first. Tried something new, and bumped my ISO to 400. I usually don't dare go above 200 for fear of noise. I think these have acceptable levels while also exposing correctly for the background. Super excited to try these settings some more.

Shutter speed: 1/200

ISO: 400(!)

Aperture: f/11

Flash: both heads set at 1/4

Untitled by Brice Nihiser, on Flickr

Untitled by Brice Nihiser, on Flickr

Jan 1, 2013
Great shots, Drainpipe.
The reflections on the eyes are un-realistic, though that's the effect of a close up. Not much one can do about is, just chalk it up to great focus and high clarity!
Really depends on the camera on what ISO you use. 400 is very acceptable on many cameras.
I often leave mine at that value, unless I run into over-exposure, saves me from handshake and under-exposed in the early evening.
-r

Upvote 0

Drainpipe

It's all about the little things.
Aug 30, 2014
www.instagram.com
lion rock said:
Great shots, Drainpipe.
The reflections on the eyes are un-realistic, though that's the effect of a close up. Not much one can do about is, just chalk it up to great focus and high clarity!
Really depends on the camera on what ISO you use. 400 is very acceptable on many cameras.
I often leave mine at that value, unless I run into over-exposure, saves me from handshake and under-exposed in the early evening.
-r

Yup, the reflections are definitely un-realilistic, but I think it serves a great purpose that Sharlin mentions: anthropomorphism of the subject. A lot of people are fearful of spiders, and this almost makes them a little cuter for most folks. I have people on my Instagram who otherwise would have never interacted over a spider- suddenly commenting and leaving feedback. I think arthropods get a bad rap anyways, so making them a little more pleasing sort of serves a greater good.

Plus, I never have to worry about the spiders not looking like they're looking at me, those "pupils" are always dead center! ;D

Sharlin said:
Those reflections that look like pupils make it look so cute and anthropomorphic :D

Yes! I love this effect.

Click said:
+1

Great shots. Well done, Drainpipe. :)

Thank you, I appreciate it!

Upvote 0