Patent: A new mirrorless camera body design with integrated grip with pass-through

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Here is an interesting patent application showcasing what appears to be new design and functionality of an integrated grip mirrorless camera body. At this time, there’s no way to really know if this design is in fact one Canon is moving forward with on a camera body such as an EOS R1, or if it’s just part of the design process.
Japan Patent JP,2021-117300,A  mostly deals with a secure grip for both horizontal and vertical shooting.
This design is quite unique in that there is an open cavity in the body that your fingers can grip through as you can see in the patent illustration below.

This is definitely some out-of-the-box thinking when it comes to...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If you watch the Apple rumor sites, the drawings submitted for Patent applications are rather rudimentary and don't really match the finished product. The R1 is in the pipeline and this filing may be it or another similar body in development. Like Nikon, the pro bodies all have an integrated grip why would they change now?

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
If you watch the Apple rumor sites, the drawings submitted for Patent applications are rather rudimentary and don't really match the finished product. The R1 is in the pipeline and this filing may be it or another similar body in development. Like Nikon, the pro bodies all have an integrated grip why would they change now?
It's the pass-through that is unique and doesn't scream "rudimentary". Though this could just be throwing darts at a dartboard and protecting any and all ideas.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It's the pass-through that is unique and doesn't scream "rudimentary". Though this could just be throwing darts at a dartboard and protecting any and all ideas.
Freedom To Operate and avoiding other using ideas that you've canned for sure.

But since they've gone to the point of spending money on a patent application, they do think it has some value. Otherwise they'd just publish the idea in an obscure local newspaper with cyrrilic letters like the first insulin pen.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
Well... and why not simply integrate a mechanism that turns the sensor (or the whole cage of the mount) in either portrait or landscape mode (with a button to do so) or would be able to determine horizontal/vertical position by itself with a switch... or a fixed cross shape sensor... or a square sensor... round sensor, etc. ?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Thx for posting, Craig.....Very interesting, if they could make it work. Would eliminate the need for an auxiliary hand strap, which I love using for run and gun filming, albeit doesn't work very well when shooting in vertical position. Would make for very secure handling. I never realized how nice hand straps are until using a wedding photographer friend's EOS 5Diii body, a few yrs back, that had a strap attached. They are a game changer. Now, whenever I acquire a new body, that's one of the first accessories I purchase. This design would also make vertical shooting just as secure as current horizontal hand strap shooting. I have never cared much for neck straps, except on small bodies, like the M series or point and shoot cams.

Upvote 0
The idea of replacing the physical control wheels/dials with touch bars makes me uncomfortable, personally. The missing joystick may be a bigger problem for some, but it does appear to have that big eye-cup from he R3, so maybe the thinking is the joystick will be less necessary if they get eye AF right? I've always liked that Canon tries some weird stuff occasionally, but I guess I'd really need to try this to see if I could get by with it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0