Patent: A new mirrorless camera body design with integrated grip with pass-through

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
What I always enjoy about the square format discussions is that so many people think you can get a larger image out of the lens circle with a square crop. I barely passed geometry but I at least know that the total area won't change if you draw a square or a rectangle within the circle.
Fortunately, you don't have to be a Euclid or Pythagoras to take good photos.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I use it all the time. After a big play as I’m chimping to see if I got the shot I star the best one. During halftimes and after the game I run through the captures and star the best ones. Much faster than doing it on the computer later and saves me a ton of time not having to cull through 3000 frames waiting for the computer to render them.

I’ve even used ratings to ID players I need shots of. Five stars for #38, four for #7 etc. then I can filter for those players.

Even during other events I’ll often rate shots. It sounds like you’ve never shot on a deadline.
When I did a lot of wildlife photography I used it quite a bit, there's often downtime in the field and I'd pre-sort my images using the rating button to save time later.

Upvote 0
To me this camera just looks weird. I can imagine the designers chuckling to themselves while designing it. Was the patent application submitted on April Fool's Day?

Maybe it's click bait for the rumor trolls who watch the patents or serves a more nefarious purpose to flush out any confidential information leaks within the corporation! ☺

Upvote 0
This is what a new generation chips can achieve, an shrinking size. With the mirror and shutter assembly out of the way, in fact, the body alone can be made as slim as an iPhone. Real estate is no longer an issue. The future is exciting!

For ref:, in sheer computing power, if an iPhone 12 is made to perform only what an R5 does, it'll perform far better and faster.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I notice Gannon over at DPR has picked up on this story. Really, he could maximise his scoops if he checked-in on Canon Rumors more regularly:

"What’s more interesting, and so far not reported on elsewhere, is that Canon also notes this cutaway design could be achieved through the use of an add-on attachment, not unlike the vertical grips Canon has released alongside its EOS R, R5 and R6 mirrorless camera systems. It doesn’t take much imagination to realize this modularity could result in a Sigma fp-style camera with the option to add a more robust grip for times when you need a better handle on the camera. A left-hand variant of the design is shown off as well, which may turn the ol’ left-handed camera April Fool’s joke into a reality."

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I think this design makes a lot of sense. One of the biggest sources of heat in the Eos R5 is the memory cards. By isolating them in the handgrip it should greatly contribute to a cooler running camera.

The truth is, barring a totally new technology, like optical circuit boards, a radical redesign of the camera body would seem a necessary measure to allow for the high levels of performance that this cameras will no doubt be capable of providing.
In all honesty, this is the most interesting thing I’ve seen in the mirrorless market in years. If it brings with it killer specs… and I suspect it will, then I’m definitely adding one to my collection.
Better still, design all cameras so that there's an *option* to transmit the image files by ftp direct to external memory, thereby eliminating most of the heat source?
From what I understand, ftp image file transmission is already available on Sony a9ii and a few other cameras, and will be available in R3 and Z9...

The body format in the Canon patent looks bulky too. Personally I prefer a more compact body like the R5, with the option to fit a vertical grip for specific situations where I'll be shooting a lot of material vertically, or when I want a longer-lasting non-interrupted power source.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The body format in the Canon patent looks bulky too. Personally I prefer a more compact body like the R5, with the option to fit a vertical grip for specific situations where I'll be shooting a lot of material vertically, or when I want a longer-lasting non-interrupted power source.
Ergonomics is a personal thing. When I use a non-gripped camera, my hand is sore by the end of the day. I think mainly my 5th digit being curled under and even more the lack of weight to counterbalance a heavier lens – even the 24-105/4L feels unbalanced on my R, and the other day I was shooting with the (adapted) 11-24/4L and that was a whole other level of front-heavy.

I used a gripped 7D and 5DII, which were ok but the integrated grip has a different shape that I find much more comfortable (the add-on grips bulge on both sides to accommodate transverse batteries, the 1-series only bulges in front). I also found the flex between grip and body to be problematic on a tripod, but removing and replacing the grip is a PITA.

Not at all sure how I’d feel about something like this patent design. Bulk isn’t a big deal (my camera bags are sized for pro bodies), but not sure about all-day comfort, and too much weight savings would be bad for me (as above, it’s more about balance than total mass).

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Ergonomics is a personal thing. When I use a non-gripped camera, my hand is sore by the end of the day. I think mainly my 5th digit being curled under and even more the lack of weight to counterbalance a heavier lens – even the 24-105/4L feels unbalanced on my R, and the other day I was shooting with the (adapted) 11-24/4L and that was a whole other level of front-heavy.

I used a gripped 7D and 5DII, which were ok but the integrated grip has a different shape that I find much more comfortable (the add-on grips bulge on both sides to accommodate transverse batteries, the 1-series only bulges in front). I also found the flex between grip and body to be problematic on a tripod, but removing and replacing the grip is a PITA.

Not at all sure how I’d feel about something like this patent design. Bulk isn’t a big deal (my camera bags are sized for pro bodies), but not sure about all-day comfort, and too much weight savings would be bad for me (as above, it’s more about balance than total mass).
I agree that ergonomics is a personal thing, although there are a few basic rules such as leaving a sensible gap between the grip and the lens - a problem with early Sony cameras. I've owned, hired or borrowed virtually every camera that Canon has made, at some stage. I found the 5D and 7D series handled extremely well. The gripped 1Dxii handled even better, but was just too heavy to carry, and I often shoot in very tight situations, sometimes with the camera on the ground, and need to have the lens as low as possible, so most of the time I prefer ungripped bodies. I can't get on with the RP, which I find much too small and fiddly, especially if using anything longer than a 100mm lens. The R5 balances well in my (largish but skinny) hands, with all the lenses I own (listed below).

Upvote 0