Patent: Active cooling adapter for the RF mount

Yeah I'm not the only one who can't process this footage with a 10k+ setup

Tbh almost useless review. Fascinating prices on hardware tell us nothing. What he should've emphasised was the actual h/w specs: CPU type, frequency, RAM, the type of video card, memory on video card etc. Some of the specs are scattered through the video but I didn't gather the full picture. There was a glimpse of 16Gb RAM which clearly isn't enough. If he spends 10k on a h/w setup but only gets 16Gb of RAM for heavy video processing, he's clearly not qualified to do such reviews.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
Its an aweful pity they didnt put some kind of heatsink directly on the bottom of the camera so you could buy a version of the battery grip that would act as an expanded cooler for the camera.
A heat pipe from the sensor area to the base of the camera, with the base shaped to be a good thermal transfer area. That'd be cheap and light. Then you'd have the internal portion of a laptop cooling system. Then attach your video frame with a thermal pad in between and the frame becomes a heat sink and could even be designed to do that better (and/or with its own heat pipe). L-brackets would wind up providing a bit of cooling as well.
That depends on there being a way to get effective heat transfer to the sensor despite IBIS though.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

Sneaky Canon had this in their sights all the time , I wonder how well it sorts the overheating issues , this could change everything . What fabulous marketing Canon , release a camera , the next day release a statement it over heats which gets everyone talking about it , including the Sony Fan boys running it down , and then hit them with this , hahahahah brilliant .

This is not brilliant. This is a slap in the face. If an adapter like this actually works without any loss in quality and allows for consistent workflow with any resolution then it should've been included with the purchase of the camera, R5 at least. The fact that this was patented months ago yet Canon marketed this camera as an 8K/4K beast is dishonest marketing. This is a great stills camera that should've never been marketed any other way. I don't care if you're a pro or an enthusiast, this overheating issue is not a joke and I'm tired of all excuses people are making for Canon's dishonest marketing.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Yeah I'm not the only one who can't process this footage with a 10k+ setup

15k MAC with 16GB RAM, u kidding? I'm surprised they would even sell such a config.

Anyway, I can do 4K h265 422 on a modestly aged 8 thread processor reasonably well. However, the 2xTitan GPU's don't do 422 so prefer to transcode to 420 or 444.
You don't need a supercomputer to manage these files but you cannot be stupid either..

Upvote 0
This is not brilliant. This is a slap in the face. If an adapter like this actually works without any loss in quality and allows for consistent workflow with any resolution then it should've been included with the purchase of the camera, R5 at least. The fact that this was patented months ago yet Canon marketed this camera as an 8K/4K beast is dishonest marketing. This is a great stills camera that should've never been marketed any other way. I don't care if you're a pro or an enthusiast, this overheating issue is not a joke and I'm tired of all excuses people are making for Canon's dishonest marketing.
Sony have done the same thing the A7S iii has overheating issues as well

Upvote 0
stupid solution:
looks like a patch job. if you know and accept there is heating issue... this is a good time to fix it. delay the release, fix the issue.
further more what do we do with RF lens. also, would you put an adaptor with vents in between lens and body... wouldn't dust gets circulated inside
... stupid.
Canon listen to spec sheet warriors and produced a camera for them i.e. good on papers. what about us, long term users.

Delay release??? Screw that this very well could be the best wildlife/sports/action cameras ever built to this point.

We could have made the thing water cooled with all the tears I’ve been reading about in the last week.

Who the heck knew there were so many wannabe Steven Spielbergs running loose expecting cinema camera performance from a $3,800 still camera???

The thing shoots frickin 8K and can track eyeballs in the back of a flying birds head ! So what it if can’t shoot a remake of Gone with the wind in a single take gimme a break!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Delay release??? Screw that this very well could be the best wildlife/sports/action cameras ever built to this point.

We could have made the thing water cooled with all the tears I’ve been reading about in the last week.

Who the heck knew there were so many wannabe Steven Spielbergs running loose expecting cinema camera performance from a $3,800 still camera???

The thing shoots frickin 8K and can track eyeballs in the back of a flying birds head ! So what it if can’t shoot a remake of Gone with the wind in a single take gimme a break!

I suspect many of the complainers are on the Sony payroll. Especially on YouTube.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I suspect many of the complainers are on the Sony payroll. Especially on YouTube.
I think it is more to do with the fact that amongst the few not after clickbait the Sony, which seems to be a great upgrade (more like a Canon incremental but solid update) fits YouTube posters use case much better than the R5 does. It is very video centric at the expense of stills, the Canon is at 180º to that. If you look at the comparable highest quality video clips the Canon blows the Sony out of the water on detail and clarity because of the downsampling options, but that doesn't work if you want reliable, quality 4k video over 20mins, which is what YouTubers need.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

Sony have done the same thing the A7S iii has overheating issues as well
Come on now... You have to admit Canon's marketing was dirty. Also, cite your source. I've seen one case for Sony A7S3 overheating at 4k60 after 23 minutes in Florida sun from Dan Watson. In normal environments A7S3 should not overheat at 4k 24/30 and should allow for hour long 4k60where as Canon, unless using lower than Sony 4K quality LQ4K, will overheat ~25-30 minutes.

Upvote 0
Come on now... You have to admit Canon's marketing was dirty. Also, cite your source. I've seen one case for Sony A7S3 overheating at 4k60 after 23 minutes in Florida sun from Dan Watson. In normal environments A7S3 should not overheat at 4k 24/30 and should allow for hour long 4k60where as Canon, unless using lower than Sony 4K quality LQ4K, will overheat ~25-30 minutes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
15k MAC with 16GB RAM, u kidding? I'm surprised they would even sell such a config.

Anyway, I can do 4K h265 422 on a modestly aged 8 thread processor reasonably well. However, the 2xTitan GPU's don't do 422 so prefer to transcode to 420 or 444.
You don't need a supercomputer to manage these files but you cannot be stupid either..
16gb video ram-

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

You ignored the nasty canon marketing again lol. Your first was my first source. HOWEVER, Three Blind Men and An Elephant Productions' video is a new source to me (hard to watch but I did at 2x speed). This is concerning. ~23 minutes of 4k24 long gop causing the camera to overheat in summer weather. Interesting that setting the A7s3 by an air conditioner helped it cool down fast for faster return use. I expect this is from the passive cooling and I'd expect faster return time than the R5, but this is not something I want to fool with and I agree with the video. A73 overheated in 4k at about 30 minutes too. I was hoping they fixed it. Still not sure of the best path forward so I will keep my r5 preorder and hope for the best. Thanks for the new source. I am sure we will get many others claiming the same issue soon enough.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
If I understand this right (dealing with extremely limited bandwidth so can't watch the video), a 12 MP video-centric camera allegedly designed with heat mitigation in mind is overheating in roughly the same amount of time (slightly faster, in fact), than a 45 MP camera does in a mode the 12 MP camera cannot even support because of its resolution?

Yet this is supposed to be an awesome answer to Canon's overheating issues? To the point where someone can say Sony defecated down Canon's throat?

If my interpretation is correct, it seems to me it's Sony doing an absolutely crappy job of engineering, even compared to the (supposedly) abysmal Canon.

What am I missing here?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

If I understand this right (dealing with extremely limited bandwidth so can't watch the video), a 12 MP video-centric camera allegedly designed with heat mitigation in mind is overheating in roughly the same amount of time (slightly faster, in fact), than a 45 MP camera does in a mode the 12 MP camera cannot even support because of its resolution?

Yet this is supposed to be an awesome answer to Canon's overheating issues? To the point where someone can say Sony defecated down Canon's throat?

If my interpretation is correct, it seems to me it's Sony doing an absolutely crappy job of engineering, even compared to the (supposedly) abysmal Canon.

What am I missing here?
Watch some more videos. It overheats in hot summer weather after about 23 minutes and in virtually every other scenario can run indefinitely. Neither camera is a video shooters answer in 2020. I expected more reliability.

Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
Yes, if switched off permanently. /s
Surprisingly, in a view of these revelations from the R5's manual, using IBIS in a "hand fan" mode or parking it in order to transfer heat from the sensor to the outer shell have both make sense! Moreover, if a lens is IS-equipped then, in principle, both can still be used during shooting.

Upvote 0