Patent: Canon Image Sensor Stabilization

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Sensor stabilization was definitely one of the bigger feature omissions from the Canon EOS R if we go by the feedback we’ve received. Canon has always maintained that in lens stabilization is the best way to go, however, Canon themselves left the door open to the idea that the EOS R system may get sensor stabilization in a future body.
Northlight Images has uncovered a Canon patent showing sensor stabilization.
We think one of the challenges facing image sensor image stabilization from Canon is making it work with lens image stabilization and improving the overall performance.
Japanese patent application [2018-165756 (P2018-165756A)]

canon-ibis-168x168.gif

ibis-for-canon-168x168.jpg

Continue reading...

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Since Canon has ranked among the top five companies with the most U.S. patents for 32 years in a row, and since the vast majority of those patents never see the light of day, it may be a bit over-optimistic to assume this one will be implemented any time soon. Then again, who'd have thought that they would come out with a super sharp 50mm f/1.2 lens or an f/2 L class standard zoom? It almost makes me look forward to retiring my 5DlV. Almost...

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
hehehe, here we go! It will come in 2nd gen EOS R bodies. After you all spent money on first gen. Shortly thereafter comes "Mk. II, now with IBIS" :p:D
That's assuming the R system will only have one body SKU at a time, which is a huge and without doubt incorrect assumption to make.

Why people think Canon are only going to have one R body at a time, I don't know. All common sense, logic, and history of camera manufacturing says they will have some lower-end models and some higher-end ones, and the R—being basically a 6D—sits in the middle of the range.
Yes, it sucks for those people who bought the R already, erroneously thinking this was as good as it would get, but that is the same for all technology and modern products. When you buy something brand new at launch—anything—all you are really guaranteeing is that you are paying the highest price for the weakest or otherwise most baseline product. Every single person who waits will either get a similar product at a lower price or a better product at a similar price.

It's not like cameras are a new invention. Everyone knows this is how it goes. If you want IBIS, don't buy a camera which does not have IBIS. If you won't wait before purchasing then you are knowingly accepting the worst deal for yourself. There will always be a revision, there will always be supporting products, there will always be a higher-end model or a lower-end model, or sales, cash rebates, bundles, you name it.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
hehehe, here we go! It will come in 2nd gen EOS R bodies. After you all spent money on first gen. Shortly thereafter comes "Mk. II, now with IBIS" :p:D

How quickly Sony users forget how terrible their first and second gen cameras were. LMAO Adding features to future iterations of a camera model is nothing new. It's possible Canon was simply unable to create a sensor stabilization system that didn't overheat, wasn't brittle, and could be made at a cost that wasn't too astronomical. If IBIS comes to Canon, it will come at a cost.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
I'll consider the jump to the "R" type series when it has IBIS, a minimum of 8 fps with AF, better buffering times, and a more reasonable button/control layout.

I have played with an tested the EOS R in one of my local bricks and mortar photography shops a few weeks ago. Definitely a decent camera, as Canon's first model into FF mirrorless. Build quality was solid, comfortable ergonomics (for my medium sized male hands); EVF fantastic, and the AF good. The lenses are great. No doubt the EOS R is capable of capturing fantastic images in the right hands.

At this stage, though, the EOS R does not impress me as a camera that I plan to buy. The main physical characteristics I dislikes was the on-off dial (i.e. a medium sized dial just for on/off, but without modes - the DSLR equivalent dial is much better imho!), the M-Fn bar (please Canon, a joystick instead!), and the AF button should be moved (again, as most DSLRs have implemented it).

I would like to see improved AF (particularly in tracking power: speed and accuracy), faster fps (8 to 10 fps would be ideal) and overall snappier operation. It was not a 'slow' camera, but was not as responsive as my DSLRs. Ok, yes, IBIS would be great too. Though IBIS could be somewhat negated if all the lenses I want have IS in lens.

The future is bright... the future is exciting! From a photographic perspective, I am very thankful to live in the day and age we do.

PJ

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
That's assuming the R system will only have one body SKU at a time, which is a huge and without doubt incorrect assumption to make.

Why people think Canon are only going to have one R body at a time, I don't know. All common sense, logic, and history of camera manufacturing says they will have some lower-end models and some higher-end ones, and the R—being basically a 6D—sits in the middle of the range.
Yes, it sucks for those people who bought the R already, erroneously thinking this was as good as it would get, but that is the same for all technology and modern products. When you buy something brand new at launch—anything—all you are really guaranteeing is that you are paying the highest price for the weakest or otherwise most baseline product. Every single person who waits will either get a similar product at a lower price or a better product at a similar price.

It's not like cameras are a new invention. Everyone knows this is how it goes. If you want IBIS, don't buy a camera which does not have IBIS. If you won't wait before purchasing then you are knowingly accepting the worst deal for yourself. There will always be a revision, there will always be supporting products, there will always be a higher-end model or a lower-end model, or sales, cash rebates, bundles, you name it.

People who like to complain do not understand why manufacturer X can't have every feature ever invented and the best optics, all in a size/format that they want, and for the best price on the market -- and have that price decrease by 25% every year while the features incrementally improve.

You are absolutely right that cameras are not a new invention. Mirrorless is simply tinkering around the edges, and changes nothing of the fundamentals in the manufacture, distribution, positioning, or pricing of cameras and associated photography equipment.

I don't think it sucks to buy an R today instead of the model 2 years from now that has more features and better stuff, any more than it sucks for people who bought 5D2 when they could have just held out for 5D4. Because, you get to use the camera today, not 2 years from now :D

That said, if you have a camera you're happy with, I don't think rushing out to buy a mirrorless will magically create shots that couldn't be made before.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018

that's exactly what i said earlier. And why i used the plural ... "bodies".

i expect 3 FF EOS R gen 1 models. one lower (FF "Rebel"), one higher (50+MP) than the one already launched.

for second gen i expect a start with mirrorfree high end "1DX-III", plus MK. II of the three 1st gen models. All will likely have IBIS, except the base model ... marketing differentiation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018

I bought the R already, but did not in any way think this was as good as it was going to get. I just wanted a second camera body, and I wanted a mirrorless and didn't want a Sony or Nikon. If IBIS comes in some future body, super. Until then, I'll just keep using the first gen R and appreciate any improvements if and when they happen. The R isn't going to make me ditch my DSLR any time soon, and it probably never will. But for a lighter, smaller second body, it's been fantastic in the two weeks I've had it.
Now I WILL be disappointed if the next iteration doesn't make me at least think about ditching my DSLR.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0