Patent: Canon Reversible Mount Lens

Jul 21, 2010
AvTvM said:
not so smart Canon.

Smarter than you, at least when it comes to making and selling cameras. After all they got your money…and despite not following your unsolicited 'advice', they remain the clear ILC market leader, and in fact have gained market share. The rest of your post is pure conjecture, perhaps applicable in the AvTvM Universe, but not in the real world.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
jolyonralph said:
neuroanatomist said:
Ohhhh...if. But who got your money? Smart Canon.

I'm not going to suggest Canon aren't smart, but I held off buying the replacement for my 5D III (well, maybe second replacement as I already have the 5DSR) until the 5DIV was announced.

For me, the 5D IV was good, but didn't really offer me anything of a major incremental advantage that I couldn't do with my 5DSR or 5D III. Technically it was better in many ways, but it didn't allow me to do anything differently than before. So, I got an A7R II instead. I don't think the 5D IV is a bad camera - far from it - it's just not what I need right now.

At least from me Canon didn't get my money. For now :)

Jolyon

I have a 1D X and didn't find the 1D X II sufficiently tempting. It puzzles me that people continue to assume the main target demographic for any new body is owners of the immediately previous body in that line. These are well-built products, and for most users they have a lifespan of much longer than 3-4 years. Broadly speaking (big picture view), within-line updates are pretty incremental, we know that and Canon knows that. A 5DII, 6D or 80D user would likely find the 5DIV very tempting.

AvTvM spouts his opinions as if they were fact, but he has no objective data to support his statements. Canon has years of extensive market research data to support their decisions of what features to put into what new products. Some of that research is explicitly funded (surveys, focus groups, etc.), and some of it is 'free' – every time someone fills out a product registration, they tell Canon about themselves, what gear they already own, and what they are planning to buy…and longitudinally Canon can look at buying habits by demographic across the globe.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Things may well go the way they are with It gear. Apple does not build compelling products any longer. Lenovo is Chinese. HP is weak and Dell just recuperating a bit from a multi-year slump in terms of "innovative, highly functional products".

So ... if companies do not build and offer what WE want ... we build it ourselves.
http://eve-tech.com/
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/eve-v-the-first-ever-crowd-developed-computer-laptop-tablet#/

As soon as I see a compact, fully capable FF-sensored MILC appear on kickstarter or Indiegogo, I will back it. Then Canon [and rest of industry] is definitely doomed. 8)

And if not, well then maybe "camera as a service" ... https://www.dpreview.com/news/7563884632/relonch-is-a-camera-and-photo-editing-service-all-in-one-that-costs-99-per-month

Should be the logical next step for all those Adobe "rental-software-lovers" around here. ;D ;D ;D

1058270016.jpg

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
AvTvM said:
Things may well go the way they are with It gear. Apple does not build compelling products any longer. Lenovo is Chinese. HP is weak and Dell just recuperating a bit from a multi-year slump in terms of "innovative, highly functional products".

So ... if companies do not build and offer what WE want ... we build it ourselves.
http://eve-tech.com/
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/eve-v-the-first-ever-crowd-developed-computer-laptop-tablet#/

As soon as I see a compact, fully capable FF-sensored MILC appear on kickstarter or Indiegogo, I will back it. Then Canon [and rest of industry] is definitely doomed. 8)

And if not, well then maybe "camera as a service" ... https://www.dpreview.com/news/7563884632/relonch-is-a-camera-and-photo-editing-service-all-in-one-that-costs-99-per-month

Should be the logical next step for all those Adobe "rental-software-lovers" around here. ;D ;D ;D

And the lesson of this story is that any company worth its salt can, and probably has, made a huge leap forward then found it hard to maintain that level of ingenuity in which time everyone else catches up.

Nikon did it with the D800
Canon did it with video in the 5DII
Sony did it with the A7RII
Olympus did it with the E-M5
Panasonic did it with the GH4

Everything since then for each company has been incremental.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I do apologise in advance for drifting back to the subject of the patent for reversible mount lens, but thinking a bit more about this the only sensible reason I could see for Canon doing this would be to create a future MPE-65 replacement that could be a little bit more versatile than the Macro Monster.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
jolyonralph said:
I do apologise in advance for drifting back to the subject of the patent for reversible mount lens, but thinking a bit more about this the only sensible reason I could see for Canon doing this would be to create a future MPE-65 replacement that could be a little bit more versatile than the Macro Monster.

Call me crazy, but a not-that-light lens that telescopes out like this won't be reverse-mounted.

This entire idea seems to make more sense for a more light and compact construct, like a 50mm f/2.5 Compact 1:2 Macro or the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro, but I have not read the embodiments.

Can someone peel through this app and flag what sort of focal length / aperture combinations are offered in it?

- A

Attachments

• Canon-MP-E-65mm-1-5x-Macro-Lens.jpeg
    Canon-MP-E-65mm-1-5x-Macro-Lens.jpeg
    18.4 KB · Views: 325
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
douglaurent said:
Maybe you just stop repeating the "Canon is doomed" phrase I never wrote hundreds of times, and explain in detail why a lens with a macro reverse front mount is better than a dedicated external macro adapter that could be used on any existing lens, like the one from Novoflex.

Why are super telephone lenses better than dedicated teleconverters which work on many existing lenses?

douglaurent said:
once Sony managed to release the fusion of an A7RII and A99II

A fusion of the A992 and A7R2 would be what? Either mirrorless, or SLR.

For it to be competitive with 1Dx / D5, it would need competitive autofocus performance with long lenses. Currently, my A7R2 hasn't met a long lens it likes, perhaps because there are no native options, or perhaps because the tiny imaging pixels aren't ideal or perhaps because the small power source can't move things effectively. Have there been any reviews on the A992 with the longer a-mount lenses?

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
3kramd5 said:
Why are super telephone lenses better than dedicated teleconverters which work on many existing lenses?

irrelevant comparison. demagogic rethoric, 100% BS.

A native, decent quality Canon reverse ring adapter would be welcome, since it came with full support for lens mount protocol, not re-engineered guesswork (like Novoflex etc.). A Lens with mounts on either end however is a solution for no problem.

But who knows, maybe it is really only a "blocking" patent on Canon's part ...

Upvote 0