Patent: Canon RF 120-700mm f/4.5-8 optical formula

It seems That Canon is confident with AF speed and high ISO performance of the R series cameras and therefore has raised the bar for aperture of affordable long lenses. I shoot usually with EOS R and a Sigma 60-600 and many times together with a 1.4 TC. I can confidently say that AF at f/9 and f/10 is fast and consistent and the result of up to ISO 6400 are acceptable. The R5 and beyond cameras are supposed to be even better with native RF long lenses.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
That would be an awesome lens. Would be up against the 150-600 lenses that Sigma and others make. Although based on how angry some pople got about the 100-500 being f7.1 they may actually explode seeing this is f8.

That is their mental problem. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The patents make it pretty obvious that there is no IS in the lens. :cautious: With telephoto focal lengths as long as these lenses have, I probably would wait for other versions that add IS.

The weight and cost of a lens are also important factors to a lot of people. One of my favorite telephotos is my Sigma 100-400 because I can handhold it all day and it was like $600. Since the R6 and R5 have IBIS maybe they’re trying to cut down on cost/weight.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
The weight and cost of a lens are also important factors to a lot of people. One of my favorite telephotos is my Sigma 100-400 because I can handhold it all day and it was like $600. Since the R6 and R5 have IBIS maybe they’re trying to cut down on cost/weight.
I would agree that removing IS would reduce the weight & cost, but I'd be surprised if it was enough weight reduction relative to the heavy weight of the lens to make much of a difference. I would also assume the same regarding cost versus the total cost, since Canon has put IS in so many of their lenses.

I'm guessing that these lenses will be big & heavy enough that most people will just use a tripod or monopod with a R5/R6 with IBIS, and thus the image shake will be much less than if it were handheld. I happen to be a hobbyist who likes to handhold as much as possible, so that's why I'd prefer to wait for an IS version. But if the lens was so remarkable and there was no somewhat comparable IS version available then I would consider it for the times I take a tripod along.

Upvote 0
It seems That Canon is confident with AF speed and high ISO performance of the R series cameras and therefore has raised the bar for aperture of affordable long lenses. I shoot usually with EOS R and a Sigma 60-600 and many times together with a 1.4 TC. I can confidently say that AF at f/9 and f/10 is fast and consistent and the result of up to ISO 6400 are acceptable. The R5 and beyond cameras are supposed to be even better with native RF long lenses.

While I wait for the R5, I'm renting an R this weekend. I love the 60-600 (it performs extremely well adapted to my Sony A7 III), and I'm looking forward to testing it on the R (along with my 500 and 1.4/2x extenders). I keep forgetting to consider the 1.4 on the Sigma, since I've had the 7D II for so long and factored in its AF issues smaller than f/8.
Do you shoot wildlife with the Sigma? How is it on the R?

Upvote 0
While I wait for the R5, I'm renting an R this weekend. I love the 60-600 (it performs extremely well adapted to my Sony A7 III), and I'm looking forward to testing it on the R (along with my 500 and 1.4/2x extenders). I keep forgetting to consider the 1.4 on the Sigma, since I've had the 7D II for so long and factored in its AF issues smaller than f/8.
Do you shoot wildlife with the Sigma? How is it on the R?
EOS R with Sigma 60-600 work well together. For steady or slow moving birds there is absolutely no problem and AF is consistant and fast. The only thing that can become an issue is EVF that lags behind, so it struggles with fast moving birds but it works well if the focus is locked.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
That is their mental problem. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I don't have a problem with f7.1 or f8 EXCEPT you are not going to get the big white backgrounds with these lenses. The lenses will be sharp but will not provide as much separation of an animal from the background. Doesn't mean I won't use them, especially if they are 2-4 lbs lighter than my 200-400.

Upvote 0
This is more about the teles that we haven't seen...still no big white patent or rumors for the RF yet (if memory serves). So...

Conclusions:

R1 is still a ways away

EF still has a bit of shelf life left before total R takeover
not so true. we've found RF super telephoto patent applications.

https://www.canonnews.com/canon-patent-applications-another-canon-rf-super-telephoto-application

https://www.canonnews.com/canon-patent-application-more-canon-rf-super-telephoto-primes

https://www.canonnews.com/canon-patent-application-canon-rf-super-telephotos

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Doug7131

EOS R6 Mark II
Jul 21, 2019
I don't have a problem with f7.1 or f8 EXCEPT you are not going to get the big white backgrounds with these lenses. The lenses will be sharp but will not provide as much separation of an animal from the background. Doesn't mean I won't use them, especially if they are 2-4 lbs lighter than my 200-400.
That's not really true though. At f8 700mm, your depth of field will be shallower than a 400mm lens at f4. Focul length has a much greater affect on DoF than aperture.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
That's not really true though. At f8 700mm, your depth of field will be shallower than a 400mm lens at f4. Focul length has a much greater affect on DoF than aperture.
That is true, but compared through 400mm the f4 should be better and for 560mm @f5.6. There is no comparison above 560mm where the new lens will win without question!:) Update: it just occurred to me that I can pop on my 2x, not engage the internal TC and have a 400-800@f8 to compare with new lens. It will be interesting to compare the image quality between the two lenses. I think the 700mm might win because the glass is internal versus having a TC in the loop. I have used this setup and the image is actually pretty good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0