Patent: Canon RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Yesterday I posted a patent showing the optical formulas for both an RF 15-35mm f/4L and an RF 16-35mm f/4L. I noted that an RF 14-35mm f/4L is rumored to be coming in 2021, and I did wonder aloud if that was a type, but it appears Canon is definitely working on an RF 14-35mm f/4L optical formula.
It looks like this design of an RF 14-35mm f/4L has an internal zoom and will likely have IS as well.
Japan Patent Application 2020-190696

Canon RF 14-35mm f/4L

Canon RF 14-35mm f/4L...

Continue reading...

Aug 26, 2015
If this is continuing the increase in preformance/IQ compared to the EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM I'll raise my hat to Canon for their R&D department.
If it is only just as sharp at equivalent focal lengths while being wider as well as lighter and more compact, it is a big advancement.
They will also take care of of some other minor flaws, namely flaring, and the noisy AF during video recording.

But it's also going to cost twice as much compared to the EF lens, so it won't be as popular. But due to all camera sales continually decreasing, it's not designed to be anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
You are correct. This may well be indicating the housing of the underwater unit which understandably would need to be much larger to allow the 14mm wide angle. Anyone could use your math to guess how long the lens may be? ;) I would guess about 120mm, which is about 10mm longer than the 16-35 F4.

View attachment 194188
D looks like the cannonball from Super Mario.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
I also have mathematical issues. Canon's cripple* rounding.

* When a distribution is skewed, such a rounding can produce a proper outcome... ;)

PS
I wouldn't blame Canon (yet) anyway... There is no direct designation of the lens' parameters in the patent. The headlines seem to rather be our host's (and the CN guy) translation/interpretation.

Upvote 0