Patent: Canon RF 180mm f/3.5L Macro and Canon RF 200mm f/4L Macro

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The image quality on the 180mm is superb, but it is a heavy lens and the autofocus is useless (always flip to manual).
With the 100mm macro and 180mm macro on my R5, I find the best approach is to set the lens to AF, and the camera in SERVO, but to pre-focus (approximately) with the manual focus ring, and then half-press the shutter release and let the AF do the final adjustment.

It’s a lot more reliable than using AF alone, and much faster than using MF alone, especially with a subject that is in forward-backward motion, such as a butterfly resting on a flower that’s swaying slightly in the breeze.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
What would you need a 200mm macro lens for?
Butterflies, bees, dragonflies, grasshoppers, beetles, flowers, lichens, fungi, frogs, lizards, close-ups of any small subject that is difficult to approach. I also use my 180mm macro for portraiture, landscapes, birds. Just a few examples. There are many more in other genres of photography.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
All I can say is best Rumor of the month.

I would love to have either an RF 180mm or 200mm macro lens.

The very first lens I mounted to my R5 was my EF 180mm macro lens. I was impressed how much faster it was focusing compared to my old bodies.
It has been a few years but with the flip screen it will be much easier to get down on the ground bug hunting.

The EF 180mm was superior to the 100mm, but the 100mm had IS and you could hunt bugs hand held much easier.

Bring on their release!!!

Upvote 0
I specialize in Food images and the 100LIS is my main tool but a 180 and 200 seems to similar and redundant.

Probably would be for what you do. You would be able to shoot farther away so probably not much help for you. The bokeh on the old 180mm is superior to the 100mm IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
No you can't. You can fill the image with a subject from further away, but that changes the perspective, ergo different framing.
Yep, typically with better dof and better access to light. I've been using the Laowa 100mm (2x) f2.8 for a while, and even without AF, I'm thoroughly addicted now to the reach. Whether I'd pay 5x as much for one of these ... who knows, retirement looms and with it access to my superannuation.

Upvote 0
No you can't. You can fill the image with a subject from further away, but that changes the perspective, ergo different framing.
Good point, for these two lenses with a minimum focal distance of 11.51' vs 1.57' and a extremely narrow DOF just about everything else is bokeh.
It was important to correct this for the conversation that was taking place.

Upvote 0
What would you need a 200mm macro lens for?
You wouldn't ask if you ever photographed biting, stinging, poisonous subjects!
The minimum focus distance of the 100mm lenses is about 11 inches. The MFD of the 180mm is around 18 inches.
I do hope Canon puts IS in their "long" macro lens, be it 180mm or 200mm. In my opinion, this lens doesn't necessarily need to be able to do more than 1:1, like the RF 100mm Macro. If higher magnification is needed, add an extension tube or switch to the 100mm lens... Or go with the MP-E 65mm for really high magnifications.
I'm not a fan of ring lites with most macro lenses (too flat lighting... I use a twin lite instead with 100mm and 180mm). But one does work well with the 65mm at magnifications 2:1 and greater ( the least that lens can do is 1:1 and it goes up to 5:1).
The 100mm is best "all purpose" macro for most people. The 65mm and 180mm are both rather specialized lenses.

Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
Try the MP-E 65mm (especially with the 2x TC). :)
I do! ;) With an MT-24EX flash on the other end, but...
[...]
I'm not a fan of ring lites with most macro lenses (too flat lighting... I use a twin lite instead with 100mm and 180mm). But one does work well with the 65mm at magnifications 2:1 and greater ( the least that lens can do is 1:1 and it goes up to 5:1).
[...]
... do you guys have any suggestions, what type[s ] of batteries are both suitable and convenient for use with the Twin Lite?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I do! ;) With an MT-24EX flash on the other end, but...

... do you guys have any suggestions, what type[s ] of batteries are both suitable and convenient for use with the Twin Lite?
Like @neuroanatomist I can recommend Eneloop batteries. I'm also using Ikea brand batteries, which seem to perform like eneloops, even after a year or 2 of use.
I'm looking at getting a CP-E4 clone to get a faster recharge time, but I live in fear of burning out the bulbs on the MT-24, I bought mine used about a decade ago and the MT26-EX is using RF-like pricing.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
I love it.

When I decided to go to RF (first couple R reviews were just available) I sold a dozen-plus EF lenses, keeping only the 135/2, 180/3.5 and 600/4IS.
I haven't regretted moving over to the R5 and RF glass. However good luck now you have sold your EF glass, ordering and buying RF glass. I ordered the RF 100-500MM Lens on 17/08/21 and am still waiting. Apparently, I am number 16 on the list and they are not receiving any stock so unlikely to be before xmas. Not sure which xmas, 2021 or maybe 2022. I don't think it's just Canon suffering with the worldwide chip shortage so I'll just have to be patient. Hope you have better luck.

• Sad
Upvote 0

Deleted

7D2
Sep 30, 2021
Worst bit of advice I ever got when getting into macro was “ You need a long lens because of working distance”. All that not spooking the subject rubbish. So I got the Canon 180mm and it really held me back. Once I switched to a 60mm and 100mm, then later adding the MPE-65 that I felt more comfortable shooting insects. The 60mm especially has given me loads of enjoyment. I have no regrets whatsoever in selling the 180 so really cannot get excited about the possibility of new long macros in RF. If Canon announce shorter macro lenses and an MPE65 replacement then my interest would be sparked.

Upvote 0