Patent: Canon RF 19mm f/2.8 IS

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon News has uncovered an interesting optical formula patent for a small prime lens with image stabilization. The patent talks in-depth about making small prime lenses with IS.
There are two different embodiments for a Canon RF 19mm f/2.8 IS.
Canon RF 19mm F2.8 IS

​Focal length 19.50mm
F-number 2.88
Half angle (degree) 47.99°
Image height 21.65mm
Lens total length 96.33mm
BF 18.34mm

Canon RF 19mm F2.8 IS

Focal distance 19.29mm
F-number 2.86
Half angle (degree) 48.30°
Image height 21.65mm
Lens total length 96.59mm
BF 18.43mm

This patent also includes an optical formula for an RF 85mm f/1.8, but I think it’s safe to assume that this won’t become a consumer product since we have the Canon RF 85mm f/2 IS STM.

Continue reading...

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
Good to hear about non-L glass in the pipeline, and with IS. While L lenses remain crème de la crème professional tools with record-setting wide apertures, high standards for robustness, weather-seal, etc.. the non-L products are delivering on the whole excellent image quality and offer benefits for e.g. travelers such as compactness, lesser weight and more discrete appearance. Oh, and affordability!

Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
I would love a lens like this...great option for UWA photography in a compact lightweight package. If it's optically excellent, could be a wonderful option for grabbing with the 35/1.8 and 85/2 for a good quality compact carry.
Yes, just add a 135mm f:2.5 IS and/ or 200 mm f:4 IS :)

Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
In film days I often traveled with just my 28mm, 85mm, and 200mm lenses. I rarely missed having anything else along.
My FD bag had the 24mm, 35mm and 100mm lenses, which covered most needs. I would eventually add the 17mm and/or the 200mm f:4. The 50mm macro and 300mm f:5.6 were for special occasions only.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
19mm is an interesting focal length, but no reason why they couldn't make this and advertise it as slightly wider than a 20mm prime.

On another hand, could this be a cheaper lens? If it was cheap enough to have a bit of distortion, some auto correction could make this into effectively a cheap 20mm. Just throwing out ideas, though, not sure if they'd do that.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
19mm is an interesting focal length, but no reason why they couldn't make this and advertise it as slightly wider than a 20mm prime.

On another hand, could this be a cheaper lens? If it was cheap enough to have a bit of distortion, some auto correction could make this into effectively a cheap 20mm. Just throwing out ideas, though, not sure if they'd do that.
Interesting idea, and quite possible IMO – I do suspect this lens would end up as an RF 20/2.8 if it makes it into a product. Canon has done this with EF-M lenses already (wider than stated FL, camera crops the RAW image to the stated FoV).

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Canon has done this with EF-M lenses already (wider than stated FL, camera crops the RAW image to the stated FoV).
Not just EF-M. With RF glass as well. See the RF 24-240mm, which in truth is much wider but has dark corners without the digital crop applied.

I believe the RF 24-105 STM is also employing this technique, although less intense.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Yes, just add a 135mm f:2.5 IS and/ or 200 mm f:4 IS :)
Manufacturers don't seem to care with slower short telephoto primes anymore, since the RF 70-200/4 IS is actually smaller when retracted and the minimum focusing distance can be much shorter as well.

But the 135/2 and 200/2.8 II adapted EF lenses both do the job just fine (in fact, better than they ever did with the IBIS + full area AF tracking) if one is looking at cheaper options.

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
I bought that lens recently and adapted to my R6. It really is quite lovely. The FL 19mm right?

Back in my film days I bought a used Canon 19mm lens. I was amazed at its image quality and lack of distortion. Maybe I'd be less amazed now, but I recall that it took good pictures. Before I got it, my widest lens was 28mm.

Upvote 0

scottburgess

Canonical Canon
Jun 20, 2013
CanonRumorsGuy said:
>>
This patent also includes an optical formula for an RF 85mm f/1.8, but I think it’s safe to assume that this won’t become a consumer product since we have the Canon RF 85mm f/2 IS STM.
<<

I wouldn't count out additional versions as products, even with similar f-numbers. Canon has cleverly included value-added features in newer lenses, and an 85mm portrait lens at f/1.8 with SA control would be welcomed by some. Lenses that induce some people to buy new Canon bodies increase long-term profitability during this EF to RF migration phase. No one lens can do everything, so offer different models at different price points and see what works in the market! Canon ventured first into automated lens assembly, so their fixed costs per lens have likely dropped allowing them to diversify some lens products to explore consumers' interests. They can afford to cannibalize their own products rather than wait for a competitor to introduce a product with value-added features that lures buyers away.

So folks, PLEASE DO continue to suggest the products you want or the features you would like to see in Canon photo products. So far I'm enticed by autofocus TS-E lenses and SA control macro lenses. How about specialty astrophotography telescope lenses (maybe 25mm, 75mm, 250mm, 750mm, focusing only near infinity, but less expensive, single aperture, no coma, and carrying the RF mount)? How about a new full-frame RF astrophotography body with no Bayer filter, but with a filter adapter which allows one to quickly change to different Canon-made astro filters or no filter or other filters (and maybe built on a square sensor with broad light sensitivity and ultra-low dark current noise) and sold as a kit [ooo, imagine using this to photograph in daylight with ordinary lenses but substituting UV and infrared in place of blue and red color channels]? How about Z-design catadioptric lenses with no ring bokeh? How about lens feet with built-in Arca-Swiss compatibility? How about wildlife lenses offered with alternate digital camo paint (or Canon's own lens covers released with each super-telephoto lens, with better construction and Kryptek Highlander pattern)? How about a 50mm-ish lens close to the Zeiss 55mm Otus in optical quality, but in the $1500-2500 range? How about an ultra-sharp RF 160-200mm zoom microscope tube lens (comparable optically in visible spectra to Thorlabs tubes) with adapters for common microscope objectives and built-in Arca-Swiss lens collar (again sold as a kit)?

We might have more power than ever to suggest ideas that become products. I am excited to see what else folks here and Canon engineers dream up.

Upvote 0