Patent: Canon RF 20mm f/1.8L and RF 24mm f/1.8L

davidcl0nel

Canon R5, 17 TSE, RF35+85 IS, RF70-200 4 IS, EF135
Jan 11, 2014
Berlin
www.flickr.com
Please Canon, an astrophotography capable RF lens to compete with the Sigma 14mm f/1.8. This lens isn't quite wide enough for optimal nightscape shooting IMHO.
I don't like 14mm on Milky Way... its too tiny without good resolution for stars.

I think 35mm is a good compromise, but you have to use tracking. But you get far better details.

Its the EF 35 IS, but it has coma with 2.0 too, so i have to use f/3.5. But then its very good. And I use this lens for much other photos too, its not a one-trick-pony like a 14mm 1.8... But your option might be another... no problem.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The difference in focal length, according to the patents, is 2.68mm. Personally I don’t think that is enough of a difference to need to buy both lenses, so I asked. I still don’t.
Yeah, I know, but what are you gonna do? That doesn't matter to some.

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
Fast, Wide AND small & light? Yes please.
I would contend that 3 of the 4 is good enough for me (remove the fast). If you want fast as well the only possible way would be with heavy software correction or a curved sensor so optics become easier to design.

It would be great if Canon is able to put out some lenses like Laowa, but with AF as those lenses check every box except the AF.

Upvote 0