Patent: Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM as well as an RF 24mm f/1.2L USM and RF 28mm f/1.2L USM

Jan 22, 2012
I think the typical user of these lenses are those that demand the highest IQ over stabilization. And if a large part of that is portraiture/controlled lighting scenarios, IS is not a big advantage at shorter focal lengths. These f/1.2 lenses will not be small nor light. I can't see many people carrying a bagful of f/1.2 lenses over a single f/2.8 zoom. I can see people carrying smaller f/2 primes for that purpose, so those would probably be better candidates for IS.
What is the connection between IQ and Stabilization? IS is a huge advantage even at shorter focal lengths.

Upvote 0

lexptr

Photograph the nature while it exists...
Aug 8, 2014
"Is Canon planning to make f/1.2 the new standard for all of their L prime lenses up to the focal length of the RF 85mm f/1.2L USM?"
I hope not. I mean, no problem if they produce such line. That would be great. I just hope they will introduce f1.4L versions too and that will be a standard too. Such lenses would be the balanced line in terms of speed/weight/features/price. EF 85mm f1.4L IS is a great example, I would like to see coming to RF mount.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
My gut instinct is that Canon will eventually release 1.4 versions as well, but time will tell. Definitely looking forward to a 24mm and 35 mm f1.2 L lenses.

Well, I suspect that them coming out with the 85 f/2 macro means they won't be coming out with an f/1.8 (like the old EF lens) anytime soon. So similar considerations probably apply to f/1.4 in the shorter focal lengths.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Well yes, I think I do. I don't see how bargain priced R bodies, crop R bodies, or 'consumer' f1.8 lenses (or even crazy sized and priced f1.2 primes) increases the likelihood or speed of release of more 'modest' and practical f1.4 L's.

As far as I can see everything else is a distraction from the lenses many of us here actually want to buy. And whilst I know we are not particularly representative of the market in general I believe we are representative of the R5/6 market, which seems to be where Canon is making their money in the MILC space.
Well, yes we want to buy them but finding stock is hard for love nor money! Trying to find a RF24-105mm/4 in Australia is basically impossible the moment. Anecdotal evidence from the R5 Shooters FB page shows that this is a common problem in multiple countries.
Canon can't make money if they can't provide them.
If Canon had a range of lower end lenses that perhaps aren't dependent on the current supply chain issues (capacity or chip supply) then money would still flow to Canon's top line.

Upvote 0
Will the price for them all be one kidney or two?
two each, from both you and your children. Canon Australia pricing themselves out of the market already. I can often get Sony lenses half the price of RF glass since they have lower RRP and much better sales. If I get the R3 I will still stick to mostly EF glass. Only lenses that I might consider are the new 100mm macro and a 500 f/4.

Upvote 0
two each, from both you and your children. Canon Australia pricing themselves out of the market already. I can often get Sony lenses half the price of RF glass since they have lower RRP and much better sales. If I get the R3 I will still stick to mostly EF glass. Only lenses that I might consider are the new 100mm macro and a 500 f/4.
we do get 5 year canon australia warranty though

• Wow
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
"I don't need an oversized 1.2 lens, just give me 1.4" in 3...2...1...

In all seriousness, though, it would make sense. 1.8/2.0 consumer-grade lenses and 1.2 pro-grade lenses. That's plenty.
I don't know, I don't like that we always have to choose between 1kg 3000$ lenses or plastic non weather sealed and slow AF F1.8-2 lenses.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

davidcl0nel

Canon R5, 17 TSE, RF35+85 IS, RF70-200 4 IS, EF135
Jan 11, 2014
Berlin
www.flickr.com
And the 1.8 buzzes in and out while trying to focus constantly--hanging from your shoulder. An internal focus will keep focusing too, but without all the drama.
Yes, I don't like this too. That was my main reason to struggle first. I like the compact and "stable" form of the EF 35 IS.

Then I heard about another lens hood. ES-62. You have to sand the hood internally about 1mm (with a dremel), but then you can set it also on the RF 35. (without the metal ring for another lens). So now I have a complete cylinder hood (instead of tulip shape as EF 35) and it works great. The focus now is "intern" the hood, so no danger to hazzle around. The original hood for RF is a joke.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Are you sure about that? I believe Canon has said RF lens can have a relatively large image circle (linked to the fact that the EF and RF lens mounts have the same diameter but RF has a shorter flange distance), and a larger image circle allows the IBIS to be more effective because the sensor can be allowed to move further. I don't believe it has anything to do with the maximum aperture of the lens though. (Well, wide aperture lenses tend to be relatively large and expensive anyway so it may be that from a practical perspective Canon is generally willing to go to more trouble and expense to design a lens with a larger image circle for those sorts of lenses, but that is a separate issue.)

I'm 100% sure. Canon spoke about this extensively when the R5 got announced. They explained both the rf 85mm 1.2 and 28-70 were capable of 8 stops of IBIS without IS due to their wide apertures projecting a bigger image circle to stabilize from on the sensor. They were speaking specifically about fast lenses, not the mount. That's why the 85mm 1.2 has better IBIS than some of the IS lenses for the RF mount.

Upvote 0