Patent: Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM as well as an RF 24mm f/1.2L USM and RF 28mm f/1.2L USM

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Is Canon planning to make f/1.2 the new standard for all of their L prime lenses up to the focal length of the RF 85mm f/1.2L USM?
The Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L has been rumored for quite some time and has appeared on our RF lens roadmap since the beginning. There have also been previous patents for an RF 35mm f/1.2L USM.
Canon News has uncovered another patent for an RF 35mm f/1.2L USM optical formula, along with two other f/1.2L prime lenses that would be highly desired, an RF 24mm f/1.2L USM and (oh joy!) an RF 28mm f/1.2L USM.
If all of this comes to fruition, this will be a very hard set of prime lenses to beat.

Canon RF 24mm f/1.2L USM (appears in patent)
Canon RF 28mm f/1.2L USM (appears in patent)
Canon RF 35mm f/1.2 USM (appears in patent)
Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM
Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L USM
Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L USM DS

Canon RF 24mm...

Continue reading...

As none of those lenses are stabilized, does that mean that all future mirrorless cameras will have IBIS or does Caon think that somebody who buys those expensive lenses will also buy a high end mirrorless camera?
I think the typical user of these lenses are those that demand the highest IQ over stabilization. And if a large part of that is portraiture/controlled lighting scenarios, IS is not a big advantage at shorter focal lengths. These f/1.2 lenses will not be small nor light. I can't see many people carrying a bagful of f/1.2 lenses over a single f/2.8 zoom. I can see people carrying smaller f/2 primes for that purpose, so those would probably be better candidates for IS.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
As none of those lenses are stabilized, does that mean that all future mirrorless cameras will have IBIS or does Caon think that somebody who buys those expensive lenses will also buy a high end mirrorless camera?
All future Canon cameras that carry the same price tag as the F1.2 line of primes. I expect the entry level full frame cameras to be released without IBIS. But I don't think that anybody would buy an RP to put a 85mm F1.2. on it.

Upvote 0
Hard to beat, but also heavy! I wonder how large of a market there is for a fast L prime at 28mm. Other systems have more options/history at that focal length than Canon does. EF 28mm f/2.8 IS was solid but was overpriced for years, and there's the even older EF 28mm f/1.8...
Maybe for those who fell in love with the 28mm focal length using the RF 28-70 and are interested in brighter aperture at less weight?

Upvote 0
I think that all cameras will have IBIS in the near future (maybe not the next round of lower end cameras) because most other camera manufacturers have it.
But ... the implementations will differ in my opinion: Maybe 2-3 stops with the lower end cameras and close to 5 stops for the high end systems with camera IBIS alone.
Or they reduce the number of axes for the lower end cameras, e.g. they do a rotation only IBIS while the lens does the rest - would be great for video too.

I decided to take the RF 35 1.8 and maybe I would prefer to have this one if I had to choose only one 35mm because it gives me roughly 4 stops advantage over the RF 1.2 (1 stop less aperture, 5 stops stabilization), at least for photographing static subjects. RF 35 1.8 has further advantages in terms of usability: 1:2 macro, small, light ...

Upvote 0

davidcl0nel

Canon R5, 17 TSE, RF35+85 IS, RF70-200 4 IS, EF135
Jan 11, 2014
Berlin
www.flickr.com
I like the "silver class" (not a red ring) lenses too!
With R5 and 35 IS i can handheld about 1 seconds, and it is crisp sharp. If I reduce the resolution to half (so 11 Megapixel) size, 2 seconds is ok too.
On the 85 IS i can handheld 0,5 seconds... this is just crazy.
And I love it on my 17 TSE too. I don't need 1/30 or 1/15s anymore (like on my 5D3), it can be 1/4 for sure, 1/2 often. So it is a huge difference to get the church ceiling with ISO 400 or ISO 6400. This you can see in the details for sure...
These L lenses can be all 1.2 - which would be unique in the market today.

So I hope there will be also another silver class lenses. Maybe I am interested in a very small 24mm 2.0 IS too.
I use the 135/2.0 to my life end I think, I would never upgrade to a 135 1.4. Yesyes much more bokeh, ok. But maybe a silver class 135 2.0, which is shorter and has adapter included? If not, than I stay with the EF... ;-)
And not a 3000€ 100-500 please...

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
If your shooting wide open on a 1.2 any where other than a cave then you will probably have the shutter speed cranked up as far as you can get it and still be eyeing your ND filters. No need for IBIS if your shooting stills. We would have to wait and see if the video guys would be interested. 1.2 does have it's uses but if you can afford these lenses then you can probably afford proper cine lenses.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I said this in the RF 35mm rumor before, but I'll remind people again that Canon explained that larger aperture primes give IBIS more room to work, which allows the RF 85mm F/1.2 to have 8 stops of IBIS without having IS in the lens.

So I wouldn't expect any fast primes with IS, considering Canon can save money, make lenses more durable without IS, and reduce optical complexity by relying on the large apertures to boost IBIS. 8 stops is far better than what the EF lens IS systems could get.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
If your shooting wide open on a 1.2 any where other than a cave then you will probably have the shutter speed cranked up as far as you can get it and still be eyeing your ND filters. No need for IBIS if your shooting stills. We would have to wait and see if the video guys would be interested. 1.2 does have it's uses but if you can afford these lenses then you can probably afford proper cine lenses.
At night you have much less light. It can be 1/10,000 of the light you get during sunshine or even less. So the main reason for me to buy a wide open lens would be getting more light into the camera. IBIS would help further. I own an EF 35mm f/2 IS and it is very nice for hand held night shots, but even more light would really be appreciated. Night shots are the reason why I might buy the EF 85mm f/1.4 IS.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
"I don't need an oversized 1.2 lens, just give me 1.4" in 3...2...1...

In all seriousness, though, it would make sense. 1.8/2.0 consumer-grade lenses and 1.2 pro-grade lenses. That's plenty.
By the looks of it...all the consumer grade stuff is going f11 for some reason.

• Haha
Upvote 0