Patent: Canon RF 8mm f/4 Fisheye

May 11, 2017
A good 20mm f2.8 at no more than $300 USD. With computers and machines it should be easy to have superb quality at a decent price.
Computers and machines add up to heavy front end costs, which means you need volume to get the costs down. I think Canon decided a while ago that zooms were the way to get volume, especially at the wide end.

Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
I've never liked the look of fish eye lenses. Am I crazy? Am I missing something here? What is the appeal for this type of lens? Honestly curious from those that like these :)
Underwater photographer here. I use the 8-15mm EF Fisheye almost exclusively when out in the ocean. It's a fantastic lens. I'm glad to see Canon working on an RF version.

I currently have a5DM3 and have been waiting to for a "real" R-body worthy of replacing my 5D. With the R5 coming out, I'll be looking for new lenses, a fisheye version among them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Underwater photographer here. I use the 8-15mm EF Fisheye almost exclusively when out in the ocean. It's a fantastic lens. I'm glad to see Canon working on an RF version.

I currently have a5DM3 and have been waiting to for a "real" R-body worthy of replacing my 5D. With the R5 coming out, I'll be looking for new lenses, a fisheye version among them.

I cited this scenario in my last video. How do you keep the camera dry?

Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
I cited this scenario in my last video. How do you keep the camera dry?

I use an Aquatica 5D housing with a vacuum port to be as certain as can be that the camera remains dry at depth. Serious gear for a serious camera. This is why many of us underwater photographers keep our cameras for so long. Housings like these cost more than the camera so whatever new camera we buy, we're committed to it.

Attachments

• 20200228_104912.jpg
    20200228_104912.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 275
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
To be honest at f4...the current ef 8-15mm F4 L fisheye is a more interesting prospect. It's a lens that I was an early adopter and a lens that's way more versatile than any other fish eye that I've owned. Add the face that using a EF to RF converter does open the door to rear mounted filters...so the EF lens still rocks in my book as the best fishy ever made.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I currently have a5DM3 and have been waiting to for a "real" R-body...
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Gotta love the snobbish innuendo around here. "Better" would have been a nicer choice of words. Believe you me, the R trounces the 5D Mark III in my experience. I had a 5D mark III and know first hand.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Nobody seems to be talking about the length. 70 mm! Assuming this is total lens length as usual, only 50 mm sticking out past the body. Less than 2 inches, if you prefer.

That's pretty tiny for such an extreme lens, right? Maybe finally a lens for the folks who would like their mirrorless equipment to be small and travel friendly.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

I'm missing somethere here. The spec sheet mentions an 8mm focal length, but some posts seem to infer a 8mm radius image circle on the sensor. Can someone clarify this to me, please?

Also, the spec sheet mentions a 90degree angle of view, but the author claims a 180degree angle of view. What am I missing here?
If you want the mm for the radius of the image on the sensor than it is 12mm radius which gives a circular image with a diameter of the short sensor edge (24mm). The rest of the sensor will be kept in complete darkness.
The lens has a field of view of 180 degree. The spec sheet mentions the half angle of view.

Upvote 0

VORON

EF 8-15mm F/4.0 L
Nov 23, 2017
St. Petersburg, Russia
Such a lens has its appeal for photographers that want to shoot 360 sphere panoramas with as less shots as possible. Together with a rumoured high Megapixel Camera one can do high resolution spheres with only 3 shots around and one additional Nadir shot. If I was into the R System yet I would have hoped for a 8 to 15mm fisheye zoom lens. Only 4 shots around with 12mm is good enough for me + 1 Nadir shot.
The 15 mm end is more versatile then the 8mm end which does have very few usecases in my opinion.
That's correct. But you only need four vertical shots at 12 mm for 100% sphere coverage.

I'd owned three fisheye lenses (8 mm Peleng, 8 mm Sigma, 8-15 mm L), and in fact, the 8 mm setting is really useful only for 1.5x cropped cameras. On full frame shooting your panoramas at 8 mm wastes a lot of sensor area with little convenience improvement versus 12 mm (3 vs 4 shots).

For those who don't shoot spherical panoramas, a fisheye less than 15 mm has little sense, except for rare photos with artistic effect. Although I used to take a fisheye to various trips as my only lens.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

That's correct. But you only need four vertical shots at 12 mm for 100% sphere coverage.
Correct, if you shoot them horizontally leveled, but I normally shoot them with a angle of 6 degrees to the zenith (I use the 360 Atom with this built in angle) to have some overlap there as well espacially important with indoor shots. In my case there is a 5th Nadir shot necessary. Which can also be an advantage regarding post production when the aim is to have full sphere ithout a Nadir Patch Nadir mirrorball or Nadir logo or whatever you want to call it.

Frank

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Correct, if you shoot them horizontally leveled, but I normally shoot them with a angle of 6 degrees to the zenith (I use the 360 Atom with this built in angle) to have some overlap there as well espacially important with indoor shots. In my case there is a 5th Nadir shot necessary. Which can also be an advantage regarding post production when the aim is to have full sphere ithout a Nadir Patch Nadir mirrorball or Nadir logo or whatever you want to call it.

Frank
I'm curious. How do you take your final Nadir shot? Do you avoid seeing tripod legs somehow? How close together do you get all the photos to a nodal point?

Upvote 0