Patent: Canon RF APS-C pancake prime lens optical formulas

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It looks like Canon will be bringing one or more RF-S prime lenses for the Canon EOS R7 and Canon EOS R10. One of the most requested RF-S lenses is unsurprisingly a pancake lens. Keith at Northlight Images uncovered a patent at the USPTO with what looks to be RF-S pancake optical formulas.
None of these
Canon RF-S 14mm f/2.8

Focal Length: 14.28mm
F-Number: 2.90
Half Angle of View: 51.88°
Image Height: 18.20mm
Total Lens Length: 57.50mm (image sensor to front element)
Backfocus: 10.97mm

Canon RF-S 16mm f/2.8

Focal Length: 16.48mm
F-Number: 2.90
Half Angle of View: 47.84°
Image Height: 18.20mm
Total Lens Length: 63.19mm (image sensor to front element)...

Continue reading...

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
A RF-S 10mm f/2.8 prime would be a super nice budget option for a lot of vloggers/etc. Equivalent to the RF 16mm F/2.8 but an even smaller and more compact option for APS-C. The RF 16mm is already really nice and small for full frame cameras, so I can imagine it would make sense for Canon to fill that role for their crop camera consumers.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
That's not APS-C. Closest would be Super35 or (gasp) APS-H.
The specs state "RF-S" so they must be for APS-C models.

Maybe a misprint, but perhaps Canon has deliberately elected to have a larger than normal image circle with these wide-angle optics, in order to minimise vignetting and softness in the corners?

Or am I being daft?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The specs state "RF-S" so they must be for APS-C models.

Maybe a misprint, but perhaps Canon has deliberately elected to have a larger than normal image circle with these wide-angle optics, in order to minimise vignetting and softness in the corners?

Or am I being daft?
What 'specs'? If it's not in the patent, it's not a spec, it's a guess by Keith, CRguy or someone else.

But a larger image circle for IBIS makes sense.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
What 'specs'? If it's not in the patent, it's not a spec, it's a guess by Keith, CRguy or someone else.

But a larger image circle for IBIS makes sense.
As you point out, the patent application makes no mention of "APS-C" or "RF-S".

The "specs" are, as you say, an informed guess - by a highly experienced commentator, Keith Cooper of Northlight.

I'd be extremely surprised if his guess was wrong.

If the larger image circle was purely to accommodate IBIS, I would have expected Canon to design *all* of its RF-S lenses to have this image circle, not just the pancakes under examination here.

I think it's more likely that the larger image circle has been chosen to minimise corner softness and vignetting, both of which are a bigger problem with wide-angle pancakes than with longer focal lengths.

But like Keith, I'm only guessing ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Why do people want these things? I thought it was only about price, not desirability.
Presumably to reduce size and weight when travelling, hiking or mountaineering.

A pancake takes up next to no room, and can even be carried in a pocket, to be available at all times.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Presumably to reduce size and weight when travelling, hiking or mountaineering.

A pancake takes up next to no room, and can even be carried in a pocket, to be available at all times.
Exactly. The M6 with M22mm fits in my coat or cargo pants pocket.

When going to an event where my primary lens was the 70-200/2.8, it was great to be able to drop the EF 40/2.8 into my pocket and swap on a normal focal length lens as needed (I typically carry with a BR strap attached to the lens foot, so the 70-200 could simply dangle from that as I shot with the 40 mm pancake) – it was a great, portable solution.

That’s not really an option with my R3, because having to carry both the adapter and the pancake lens defeats the purpose. I would definitely like a normal or wide (not ultrawide) pancake prime for RF full frame.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
"Unsurprisingly" a pancake lens? I find that, generally, the smaller the lens the hard the camera is to handle. Pancake primes are the worst as there's literally nothing to hold onto with your left hand. Why do people want these things? I thought it was only about price, not desirability.
For very short ( pancake) lenses, you craddle the camera with your left hand

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Exactly. The M6 with M22mm fits in my coat or cargo pants pocket.

When going to an event where my primary lens was the 70-200/2.8, it was great to be able to drop the EF 40/2.8 into my pocket and swap on a normal focal length lens as needed (I typically carry with a BR strap attached to the lens foot, so the 70-200 could simply dangle from that as I shot with the 40 mm pancake) – it was a great, portable solution.

That’s not really an option with my R3, because having to carry both the adapter and the pancake lens defeats the purpose. I would definitely like a normal or wide (not ultrawide) pancake prime for RF full frame.
Okay, but how do you hold the camera? I usually hold the weight of the camera in my left hand by putting my left hand under the CG of the camera-lens combination, which is always somewhere along the length of the lens. With a small prime, the CG is in the body and there's no place for me to put my left hand. That leads to trying to hold the body with my left hand on the left edge of the body where there's no grip.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
"Unsurprisingly" a pancake lens? I find that, generally, the smaller the lens the hard the camera is to handle. Pancake primes are the worst as there's literally nothing to hold onto with your left hand. Why do people want these things? I thought it was only about price, not desirability.
You know, you don’t have to use a pancake lens..?

Slap that massive 50mm 1.2 on it if you want.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0