Patent: Canon RF f/1.8 primes at various focal lengths

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Northlight has uncovered a USPTO patent dealing with various prime lenses for the RF mount with a max aperture of f/1.8
Canon RF 105mm f/1.8

Focal Length: 105.00mm
F-number: 1.85
Half Angle  of View: 11.64°
Image Height: 21.63mm
Overall Lens Length: 145.01mm

Canon RF 130mm f/1.8

Focal Length: 131.00mm
Half Angle of View: 9.38°
Overall Lens Length: 155.01mm
BF: 27.26mm

Canon RF 150mm f/1.8

Focal Length: 150.00mm
Half Angle  of View: 8.21°
Overall Lens Length: 164.98mm

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

filmmakerken

EOS R, EOS 10, FTb
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2020
Virginia
www.cinefoundry.com
Very interesting.

So far Canon isn't distinguishing between still photo lenses and cinema lenses in the RF mount so it's hard to know who their target market is for these lenses. Given that the CN-E 135mm T2.2 L F Cinema Prime Lens sells for $3700 (at B&H) I expect these primes to cost at least that much. Unless these are more in line with the EF 135mm f/2L USM ($999 @ B&H).

I don't really understand the details of the patents. Perhaps someone who does can shed some light on at which market these lenses are aimed

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
YAY!!! I would LOVE to buy a RF 105 f1.85 lens. The 57mm aperture would be ideal for a high IQ yet still a moderate enough size/weight lens.

I would also LOVE to buy a RF 131 f1.85 lens as well. The 71mm aperture would be perfect for high IQ and still a (just) tolerable enough size/weight lens.

A 150 f1.85 would have 81mm aperture so it's starting to get big & heavy (I assume), but not so much that I couldn't consider getting it if the IQ was compelling enough.

For all of these, I hope they're an "L" lens, but I would still consider them if not. I hope they have IS, but as the aperture gets bigger I know there is less chance of it (which is still OK). Hopefully they have dual nano AF (STM would be disappointing but still worth considering). I'd love it if it had a high max. magnification (.3 to .5x) but I strongly doubt it due to the large aperture (which is still OK).

All in all, this is one of the most exciting patent posts I've seen to date. I hope Canon comes out with these lenses, especially if they're "L" dual-nano AF ones!!!

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
The 150 mm could even be the first "triple-nano" design:View attachment 193380
Except they couple the groups mechanically.
I hadn't noticed that. After looking further into the patent listing itself, the fig. 3 patent does show this (but not the others). But is fig. 3 for the 150mm FF version?

Based on the fig. 3 design, you're right in that they could implement a triple nano focusing system. But why do you say they couple the groups mechanically? I only see movement in the 3 different lens groups that have the "Focus" mentioned, as the other elements don't move. So they could have 3 independantly moving nano groups. The main problem I could see is that 2 of those moving groups are almost touching each other so it may be hard to pack the moving rails and hardware so close together between them. On second thought, they could use a single set of rails for the 2 close focus groups while moving them separately with 2 independent nano motors.

But it they did do a "triple nano" design, imagine the better focusing ability they'd have, not to mention the new beautiful advertising videos they could use to sell them? Who knows, maybe a triple nano focusing would give them more flexibility to increase the close focusing ability, and thus increase the maximum magnification? I'd LOVE to see lenses like this with a 0.5X max magnification at high IQ and wide apertures - can you imagine how much beautiful background blur that would give you? - Wow! :oops:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlP

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2018
Based on the fig. 3 design, you're right in that they could implement a triple nano focusing system. But why do you say they couple the groups mechanically? I only see movement in the 3 different lens groups that have the "Focus" mentioned, as the other elements don't move. So they could have 3 independantly moving nano groups. The main problem I could see is that 2 of those moving groups are almost touching each other so it may be hard to pack the moving rails and hardware so close together between them. On second thought, they could use a single set of rails for the 2 close focus groups while moving them separately with 2 independent nano motors.

I was thinking about helicoids driven by a USM ring-motor moving the two groups in the back, exactly because they are very close together. But they could also share rails as you said and have the nano-USM drivers at opposite sides of the optics. That might extend the parameter range of the lens.
Anyways, this is just a patent application, if at all this lens will be realized, it will likely have a different design.
Still, could be a very interesting lens!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I was thinking about helicoids driven by a USM ring-motor moving the two groups in the back, exactly because they are very close together. But they could also share rails as you said and have the nano-USM drivers at opposite sides of the optics. That might extend the parameter range of the lens.
Anyways, this is just a patent application, if at all this lens will be realized, it will likely have a different design.
Still, could be a very interesting lens!
Agreed! In fact I often see patents that don't mention IS elements at all, and then the lens is manufactured with IS in it.

Upvote 0