Patent: Canon RF mount modular CINE camera appears in drawings

Also, if you look at all of the drawings on the Japanese patent website, the body detailed to illustrate their air cooling pathways appears to have a FIXED lens, not interchangeable. :-(
you know that's a good point. I think I saw what I wanted to see when I was reading through the patent.

Upvote 0
This looks great - like Canon is actually innovating and listening to video users - but sadly my bet is that this has a poor performing 1" sensor. That's fine for ENG but doesn't cut it for anything else really. And given the modular (read: cinema focused) design here that'll be an odd decision. My XC10 just can't keep up IQ wise with much of anything anymore but I still love its ease of use. I'm also not holding my breath that Canon can figure out how to give us better IQ and DR in a small sensor a la what Black magic did with the super16 & m4/3 sensors in their pocket cameras. However, if this turns out to be Super35 (even with a fixed lens) it'll be an instant buy from me. Canon, please make it super35/APS-C.

Upvote 0

Joel C

EOS R6, EOS R, EOS RP
CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Tacoma, WA
This looks great - like Canon is actually innovating and listening to video users - but sadly my bet is that this has a poor performing 1" sensor. That's fine for ENG but doesn't cut it for anything else really. And given the modular (read: cinema focused) design here that'll be an odd decision. My XC10 just can't keep up IQ wise with much of anything anymore but I still love its ease of use. I'm also not holding my breath that Canon can figure out how to give us better IQ and DR in a small sensor a la what Black magic did with the super16 & m4/3 sensors in their pocket cameras. However, if this turns out to be Super35 (even with a fixed lens) it'll be an instant buy from me. Canon, please make it super35/APS-C.
If they gave us a super 35 with rf mount even, I'd be all over that to. I been waiting patiently for the xc20. It's run out, guess I'll just buy a used c100.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Pretty much. The little YouTube and photo forum amature crybullies that cry like little b... er... sissies didn't understand that Canon was protecting their product line and therefore their profit margin. Something they have historically been very good at. Even in the face of the global pressures they are all feeling. Let 'em cry. If you want pro video buy pro video.

Actually, without admitting any of your insults, we who have urged Canon to reach feature video feature parity with their competitors certainly do understand that Canon's been protecting their Cinema EOS line-- and that's why we've been complaining. I'm concerned you know absolutely nothing about the history and legacy of DSLR video and the reasons it's been beneficial to the industry as a whole. But judging by the maturity of your comments, I suspect you don't really know much of anything at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
These great cameras are why the people who complain about Canon not making their still cameras into video cameras are really clowns who are clueless how to use real video cameras. If you want video then get a real video that runs rings around still cameras trying to be video as well. If you do you tube you are doing video so learn what a real video camera is and how to use it.
Still cameras with a bit of video are fine but to do REAL video they will never be REAL video cameras. Just still cameras with basic video capability.
Thank you Canon for understanding the consumers as 99% have no clue about real video and those that do get the Canon real video cameras and do real productions, not home movies or downright boring you tube videos of them being narcissists.

Wow, the idiocy and ignorance of some of the comments on this forum are beyond the pale...I'm not sure I know where to start there's so much bull#%& here. But I'll take a shot at parsing it.

1) First of all, you're completely ignoring the segment of people who want to make photos AND videos and don't have $10-15k to spend on a true cinema camera. 2) Second, in a world where smartphone cameras are getting better and better and shooting better and better video, doesn't it make sense for an ILC to offer comparable video features to your latest smartphone? My thought is this is a pretty great marketing tool, otherwise Canon wouldn't have bothered to offer concessions like 4K in their latest cameras. 3) Third, what cameras do you think aspiring filmmakers buy before they become working professionals? They buy stills cameras that do video because they can use them for photos, too. Those beginning filmmakers start buying Sony cameras now...and graduate more often to FS7s, not to Cinema EOS. It's called creating a halo around your brand and getting buy in from an early age. Canon still has the most profits in the still camera industry but for those who are interested in video as well...they've lost quite a bit of resonance. I produce in New York City, and if a production is not shooting Arri, and not shooting RED, it's shooting Sony. 4) Fourth, just because you're insecure about video features in your photography camera doesn't mean you have to be completely ignorant and vitriolic in your comments about the features other people want in theirs. And 5) Fifth, just keep in mind that video is only 24 still frames per second- so in effect, your precious still photography camera just gets a much higher frame rate when video is implemented well.

I hope this clarifies things for you. You're welcome.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

MadScotsman

EOS R / RP
Sep 9, 2019
Actually, without admitting any of your insults, we who have urged Canon to reach feature video feature parity with their competitors certainly do understand that Canon's been protecting their Cinema EOS line-- and that's why we've been complaining. I'm concerned you know absolutely nothing about the history and legacy of DSLR video and the reasons it's been beneficial to the industry as a whole. But judging by the maturity of your comments, I suspect you don't really know much of anything at all.

Yep. Hit a nerve.

Keep running from Canon post to Canon post hooting and flinging poo. You keep making sure EVERY comment section has the obligatory "NO IBIS!" "ONE CARD SLOT!" and of course "NO 4K!" crybaby post.

You can try to sell yourself as just concerned about "the history and legacy of DLSR video" (my eyes rolled so far back in my head I saw my BRAIN) but your only real purpose is to damage the brand. Which just makes you a whiny little troll.

And EVERYONE knows it.

As someone that's heavily invested in the Canon eco-system, I want them to continue to make the decisions that are keeping them profitable and to continue to ignore schpeck-nerds that live in their moms bashements and talk like they gotta mouf fulla schpit.

• Angry
Upvote 0
do understand that Canon's been protecting their Cinema EOS line-- and that's why we've been complaining.

you complain here. what good does that do? Hint. None.

and PS. Canon's own CEO's state that you're wrong. this is not the reason at all. What's strange about this, is if you were actually involved in the industry you'd realize that the use cases for CINI line and DSLR / ILC line are two entirely separate entities. I mean they aren't even run by the same division anymore btw. Unless of course you're involved deep in Canon Japan Inc's R&D and marketing research teams, and if you are, PM me ;)

and what's even weirder you're complaining about it in a patent that CLEARLY identifies why Canon has a difficult time putting class leading capable video in sealed DSLR's...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Wow, the idiocy and ignorance of some of the comments on this forum are beyond the pale...I'm not sure I know where to start there's so much bull#%& here. But I'll take a shot at parsing it.

1) First of all, you're completely ignoring the segment of people who want to make photos AND videos and don't have $10-15k to spend on a true cinema camera. 2) Second, in a world where smartphone cameras are getting better and better and shooting better and better video, doesn't it make sense for an ILC to offer comparable video features to your latest smartphone? My thought is this is a pretty great marketing tool, otherwise Canon wouldn't have bothered to offer concessions like 4K in their latest cameras. 3) Third, what cameras do you think aspiring filmmakers buy before they become working professionals? They buy stills cameras that do video because they can use them for photos, too. Those beginning filmmakers start buying Sony cameras now...and graduate more often to FS7s, not to Cinema EOS. It's called creating a halo around your brand and getting buy in from an early age. Canon still has the most profits in the still camera industry but for those who are interested in video as well...they've lost quite a bit of resonance. I produce in New York City, and if a production is not shooting Arri, and not shooting RED, it's shooting Sony. 4) Fourth, just because you're insecure about video features in your photography camera doesn't mean you have to be completely ignorant and vitriolic in your comments about the features other people want in theirs. And 5) Fifth, just keep in mind that video is only 24 still frames per second- so in effect, your precious still photography camera just gets a much higher frame rate when video is implemented well.

I hope this clarifies things for you. You're welcome.

No it does not. I am not sure about being insecure. You have a very insecure response and vitriolic. I love what I have and it does what I expect it to do and what purpose it was purchased for. As stated if you are shooting video then get a video and grab stills from that not the other way around as you suggest. Logically that is ass backwards. You get great video and on the side a few stills as needed pretty simple concept lost on so many spec junkies. :ROFLMAO: There is a lot more to America than NYC.

Upvote 0
These great cameras are why the people who complain about Canon not making their still cameras into video cameras are really clowns who are clueless how to use real video cameras. If you want video then get a real video that runs rings around still cameras trying to be video as well. If you do you tube you are doing video so learn what a real video camera is and how to use it.
Still cameras with a bit of video are fine but to do REAL video they will never be REAL video cameras. Just still cameras with basic video capability.
Thank you Canon for understanding the consumers as 99% have no clue about real video and those that do get the Canon real video cameras and do real productions, not home movies or downright boring you tube videos of them being narcissists.

It's always the guy who knows absolutely nothing about video that lectures videographers.

Idiocy.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Yep. Hit a nerve.

Keep running from Canon post to Canon post hooting and flinging poo. You keep making sure EVERY comment section has the obligatory "NO IBIS!" "ONE CARD SLOT!" and of course "NO 4K!" crybaby post.

You can try to sell yourself as just concerned about "the history and legacy of DLSR video" (my eyes rolled so far back in my head I saw my BRAIN) but your only real purpose is to damage the brand. Which just makes you a whiny little troll.

And EVERYONE knows it.

As someone that's heavily invested in the Canon eco-system, I want them to continue to make the decisions that are keeping them profitable and to continue to ignore schpeck-nerds that live in their moms bashements and talk like they gotta mouf fulla schpit.

Haha, are you okay? Did you have a heart attack? Let us know if I need to call 911.

In other words, it looks like I was the one who hit a nerve.

I've been on this forum for 8 years and while no one here likes my posts about 4K, EVERYBODY knows Canon has some catching up to do- in other words, that I was right.

And since you accuse me of being what you said in the above quote, I would assume that's exactly what you are- a lonely fanboy who bought one Canon camera and who lives in your mother's basement.

I suggest you get a good anger management therapist and then go see the world so you can learn something, take the diapers off, and become a proper adult.

Cheers ;)

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
No it does not. I am not sure about being insecure. You have a very insecure response and vitriolic. I love what I have and it does what I expect it to do and what purpose it was purchased for. As stated if you are shooting video then get a video and grab stills from that not the other way around as you suggest. Logically that is ass backwards. You get great video and on the side a few stills as needed pretty simple concept lost on so many spec junkies. :ROFLMAO: There is a lot more to America than NYC.

Definitely a lot more to America to NYC. On that, we can't agree more. But as one of the largest markets of video production, it's a great gauge as to what's trending and what's not.

And since I do own a RED, I frequently do that, but at heart, I'm a huge Canon fan- or at least want to be- so am rooting for them to implement richer video offerings in their cameras so I can come back and purchase their bodies again. My Fuji X-T3 largely accomplishes this now when I'm on the road, but I'd love to come back to the fold. Maybe in 2020, Canon will put out a camera body that has 2020 video specs that compete with the 5D Mark II, which is the Canon I started on.

And logically, your statement only makes sense if you put more emphasis on video than you put on stills. I'm a perfectionist, so I want great stills and great video in the same body. Right now, it's Fuji (and sometimes RED), but I hope Canon can catch up and implement great video features that make me want to buy again in the future. Would love to make use of all that excellent Canon glass I still own. ;)

Always fun doing business with you- Cheers :)

Upvote 0