Patent: Lots of fast RF prime lens optical formulas

filmmakerken

EOS R, EOS 10, FTb
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2020
Virginia
www.cinefoundry.com
Unlikely -see the specs in the patent. They are all full frame.
However I did note that several have quite a large back focus. RF lenses don't have to have a short distance.
The full frame nature doesn't negate the possibility of Cinema lenses. The R5 shoots full frame video, Sigma makes a FF set of Cine lenses, and all Zeiss cinema lenses are full frame.
You're likely correct that these aren't Cine lenses but, with the announcement that Canon is releasing a RF-mount video camera, it seems Cine lenses should be coming.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I have enjoyed borrowing the EF 200-400 f/4L + 1.4x, but I have a hard time believing that it will be physically possible for them to add an additional 100mm of reach while simultaneously reducing the weight from 7.9 lbs to under 6 lbs. Much more realistic to consider the development from the EF 100-400L II to the RF 100-500L, which dropped a half a pound while adding a few mm in overall length.
I think the comparison should be more with the 400 III & 600 III since the 200-400 is a large lens and some of the weight loss can come from using different materials on the barrel and other components. I would hope around 7lbs which would still be a big win. My first big white was the original 600mm @ almost 14lbs and I never would have imagined the 3rd generation would land at 6.7 lbs. You have to dream:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
How can you say Nope to an 85mm 1.4 or 1.8 (for canon the 1.2 will never be a hot of the shelves lens) they need smaller lighter version that cost half the price. You might not need it but the lineup does.

Because they already have two 85mm 1.2 lenses, and an 85mm f2 lens for those without deep pockets. There is room for a 1.4L IS eventually, but I don't think that time is now.

Upvote 0
Because they already have two 85mm 1.2 lenses, and an 85mm f2 lens for those without deep pockets. There is room for a 1.4L IS eventually, but I don't think that time is now.
Of course there is... the F1.2 and F1.2DS are beasts and not for everyone... the f/2 isn’t enough for most. We need a 1.4 or 1.8 with IS... and the time is NOW. You wont make people switch from Sony/Nikon without these staple lenses. I was surprised they jumped onto the F1.2 primes and F/2 zooms first.

Upvote 0
What I don't see to grasp (and I hope somebody does know the answer) is the proclaimed benefit of the new mirrorless mounts (both Canon and Nikon). We've been told that the new mounts can results in new/better optical formulas. We haven't seen any "extremes" however. Yes, ofcourse we now have the 600mm and 800mm F11 which weren't possible with DSLR autofocus sytems, but besides that, most that is offered in RF mount is also available in EF. Does somebody know and could please explain what the real world benefits of these new mounts are?

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I have enjoyed borrowing the EF 200-400 f/4L + 1.4x, but I have a hard time believing that it will be physically possible for them to add an additional 100mm of reach while simultaneously reducing the weight from 7.9 lbs to under 6 lbs. Much more realistic to consider the development from the EF 100-400L II to the RF 100-500L, which dropped a half a pound while adding a few mm in overall length.
and an improvement in f stop. Maybe a f1.8 (ala Sigma EF version) or even better an f 1.4.

bob
although I would be delighted to see that allow me a slight correction : that is a completely new lens not an improvement...

Upvote 0