Patent: More diffractive optics super telephoto lenses

Mar 20, 2015
What was the last lens by anybody as jaw-dropping as the 28-70/2?

Sigma 105mm f/1.4

Or the MTF bokeh etc. of the 1.2?

And more than THREE STOPS of vignetting at f/1.2... for $2500? Come on, that's just lazy lens design. "Sharper than the Sigma Art, ship it. Oh, triple the price too."

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
It's an old Tamrac - I looked at their website but can't find it as they seem to have just larger more complex ones now.
After my post I realised I use a manfrotto veloce V which is a terrible bag (almost everything is sewed instead of being able to be changed with velcro, the zipper gets damaged easily and it has no available strap for the waist) but it has more or less the same dimensions. It even holds a second body with lens...

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
After my post I realised I use a manfrotto veloce V which is a terrible bag (almost everything is sewed instead of being able to be changed with velcro, the zipper gets damaged easily and it has no available strap for the waist) but it has more or less the same dimensions. It even holds a second body with lens...
I checked the local camera store who had several bags of similar size, about 16L. I bought mine originally for the 100-400mm II, which fits inside with the body attached, but the DO I pack separate from the body.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Canon just bores me now, I don't expect them to do anything interesting for me ever again. Development announcements, Half baked and lower end cameras, just don't do it for me.

I'm much more interested in the 3rd party vendor news.

Let's see you use a lower end camera now, so your comments are interesting.
I guess the EOS lenses are not interesting because Canon was over 30 years ahead of all others and so when others introduce electronic diaphragms and everyone ohhs and ahhhs over it remember it is ancient technology.
The lens with a control ring as the RF has is again a huge deal that all others have nothing anywhere near like it. The Canon went further and destroyed others in innovation by making ALL your EF lenses have the same capability. The other major player abandoned half their Af system to obsolesce when they went mirrorless.
The R cameras are wonderful cameras and very solid workers. No Canon did not do the fluff that others have that either works half ass or is difficult to access.
If you think the R system is half baked then go elsewhere. But you will come back as the system matures in the next 2-3 years and the innovations in it are shown to be revolutionary and others will be trying to figure how to catch up.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Let's see you use a lower end camera now, so your comments are interesting.
I guess the EOS lenses are not interesting because Canon was over 30 years ahead of all others and so when others introduce electronic diaphragms and everyone ohhs and ahhhs over it remember it is ancient technology.
The lens with a control ring as the RF has is again a huge deal that all others have nothing anywhere near like it. The Canon went further and destroyed others in innovation by making ALL your EF lenses have the same capability. The other major player abandoned half their Af system to obsolesce when they went mirrorless.
The R cameras are wonderful cameras and very solid workers. No Canon did not do the fluff that others have that either works half ass or is difficult to access.
If you think the R system is half baked then go elsewhere. But you will come back as the system matures in the next 2-3 years and the innovations in it are shown to be revolutionary and others will be trying to figure how to catch up.

Don't get your knickers in knot. Did you read my post or just get pithy (can I say pissy?) when you read something not positive about Canon and/or RF? What I said was "RF has some really great stuff and has a really bright future but I highly doubt it will play any role in my future."

The EOS R body was and still is half-baked, in my opinion. Sorry, if you don't like to hear it but it won't be a fully-baked camera until the firmware is updated and the full functionality of the body is enabled. Canon does what they do and they know more about marketing/sales than I do but for me, a consumer about to spend lots of money on camera gear, that was a mistake. I believe they should have been in a position to release a completed camera and they should have been able to do it months ago. If they had done that, RF may be relevant to me.

The RF as a system is still very immature. There are no macro, super telephoto, tilt-shift lenses. I was expecting them to announce the pending release of new lenses, not just the development of the lenses. Who wasn't already expecting them to be developing most of these lenses?

Besides the R system what has Canon released? Point and shoot, maybe a consumer DSLR or M. All fine cameras but these are not a direction I'm going with my kit so these announcements bore me. If they excite you I'm happy for you. Neither of is wrong, just different.

As for where the R will be in 2-3 years. I don't care, I assure you I won't me sniffing around lusting after the new technologies. RF is pretty much irrelevant to me at this point. I've spent my money and put it into EF. I won't be chasing technology for the sake of the technology. I doubt there will be anything I want to do in the next 10 years that my new kit won't be able to do for me. I do not have this same confidence in the RF system. Will it get there? Certainly.

Canon bores me because they have become slow and complacent, or just simply abandoned me and EF. They seem more interested in protecting than innovating, at least in the EF world. What would excite me is a release date for a new 7D and new DO telephotos (that I hope come in under $12,000). We know they had a 600 DO prototype years ago but still no real world product. I believe they could have produced a killer 7D III by now. I fear they put too much EF stuff on hold, or just quit EF development, in favor of RF.

Canon bores me because too much of the news lately is about what they will do for me in the future and not about what they are providing for me now.

Canon has done great things in the past and will continue to in the future but what they are doing now just bores me. Sorry, but that's the way it is. I can only get excited about things that will impact me.

Now go to your room and stay there until you can come out and play nice. Maybe you need a snack, I hear low blood sugar makes some people cranky.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0