Peter McKinnon shows off the Canon EOS R3

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
So Nikon went nuclear on the z9 and is making the R3 look like a dud. ☹️

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

Only if you ignore the fact there is an R1 coming too....

Nikon have said the Z9 beats the D6, Canon have stated the R3 is below the 1DX II, the R1 will be above it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
The audible signal for electronic shutter would be welcome in a firmware update for R5.

I'd prefer a haptic/tactile shutter indicator for quiet shooting but still perceptible to the shooter. I have a pending patent application on that concept so I have more than the typical desire to see this feature adopted.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
My list:

3. Download a copy of the instruction manual and read it thoroughly
2. Download off-camera, unedited, full-res, raw example pictures and check for myself if that's the image quality I can live with long term.
1. Make sure it checks all my "needs and wants" [Which the R3 will most likely not do unfortunately: 24 MP is too few to future-proof my pictures in the long term, the R5 had the lack of in body GPS as a major strike against it]

But unless the R1 comes soon and ticks my boxes I'll either stick with my 5DmkIVs and/or have a much deeper look at the competition - not looking forward to either to be honest - I'd prefer to stick with Canon. Luckily I'm still mostly "limited"/"locked down" due to covid so it's not yet urgent to upgrade my gear - havent made a single picture in the last 1.5 year... maybe it's a good time to decide to retire altogether from picture making ...
Yes, my list of pre-purchase checks is of course only relevant *after* having checked that the camera meets my needs regarding specification and image quality. My most recent body purchase was my R5 - I sort of considered Sony, but the only machine they make that I'd be happy using would be the A1, which is way too expensive for me - I'd much rather spend the extra money on lenses. I've used Canon cameras for 11 years and like the reliability and continuity of ergonomics, so the R5 was an easy decision, although I waited a few months for the price to drop.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Er, no. McKinnon burst through the Polin popularity stakes years ago! Polin has 1.3 million subscribers McKinnon nearly 6 million.

Polin has been doing the YouTube thing a lot longer but is nowhere near as successful with 224 million total views to McKinnons 456 million in around a third the time of Polin.
If McKinnon has 6 million subscribers....

I'm lost for words.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK

This shouldn't come as a surprise. Canon are nearly always beaten to the market by Nikon and Sony. Some people would say it's because Canon lag behind in engineering. Others would say it's because they like to see what others produce, learn from it, and make a better product, albeit a couple of years later. Sony are undoubtedly the leaders in camera technology. Canon have in my opinion the best ergonomics and greatest reliability. Nikon make superb cameras and usually great value too, but they've never been able to match Canon's marketing skill, so unfortunately they are losing market share. A great pity IMO.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yet what I see from Canon: hyping the R3 while knowngly hiding it's only got 24MP
Since Canon started doing development announcements, they’ve never stated the MP count of a camera prior to the actual launch. But somehow this time it’s a big conspiracy? LOL.

In any case, it’s not like you’ll be able to buy the camera without knowing the full specs including the MP count, so why all the angst?

Upvote 0
The audible signal for electronic shutter would be welcome in a firmware update for R5.

I'd prefer a haptic/tactile shutter indicator for quiet shooting but still perceptible to the shooter. I have a pending patent application on that concept so I have more than the typical desire to see this feature adopted.
I’m thinking that a feature that causes the camera to vibrate when shooting will be bad for image quality.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I think we did learn ( or get some new feeling for) the following features:
2. The mechanical shutter sounds about same FPS as R5 so probably 12 FPS ( R1 will have fastest mechanical and electrical shutter)
I hope that Canon drops in the 1DXiii's mechanical shutter. 16fps would be a good feature to have in the R3 and a reason to buy it vs R5. The only other difference with the R5/6's shutter is the automatic shutter close when changing lenses and I don't think that is related to the mechanical construction.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
This shouldn't come as a surprise. Canon are nearly always beaten to the market by Nikon and Sony. Some people would say it's because Canon lag behind in engineering. Others would say it's because they like to see what others produce, learn from it, and make a better product, albeit a couple of years later. Sony are undoubtedly the leaders in camera technology. Canon have in my opinion the best ergonomics and greatest reliability. Nikon make superb cameras and usually great value too, but they've never been able to match Canon's marketing skill, so unfortunately they are losing market share. A great pity IMO.
I agree Canon has the best feel and great reliability, but I have to strongly disagree about Canon lagging in Tech.

Canon beat everyone to market with 8K in a mirrorless body, Sony was forced to respond with the A7SIII to take back some of the headlines. No way the A7SIII was on their road map for when it dropped. The 9mil dot EVF was all I needed to see to tell me Sony stepped up the ship date on that product in response to the R5 and R6. My guess is the A1 was slated to go first and Sony quickly switched gears to get the A7SIII ready to ship along side the R5 and R6. Had they known of the thermal limits they might not have reacted so quickly.

Sony then responded with a monster of a camera in the A1 that beats the R5 in many ways but is not really that much better for image capture and worse then the R5 in autofocus for video. Canon stands alone with animal eye autofocus in video.

Canon have already mapped out an BSI 8K sensor for their Cinema line that will likely be the heart of an R1 and if the R3 shocks us all with a price point that is close to the A9II then once again Sony will be asking what Canon is up to.

It has been cool or trendy to say Canon is behind on their technology but I think that ship sailed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JamesG25

EOS R3 (ordered), R5 , R and RP
Jul 31, 2021
At least we got to see the LCD screen on this time!. Here's a pic I created from the footage

51370297153_0fde548a26_o.jpg
On back screen shows has been recording video for 6mins and in lower right shows 23min(?), I wonder if that means the R3 still has the less than 30min limit on video ( which just about every other camera maker has removed as the EU tax law it was originally based on has gone). Alternatively it maybe showing 23mm which could be lens focal length

Upvote 0
Er, no. McKinnon burst through the Polin popularity stakes years ago! Polin has 1.3 million subscribers McKinnon nearly 6 million.

Polin has been doing the YouTube thing a lot longer but is nowhere near as successful with 224 million total views to McKinnons 456 million in around a third the time of Polin.
Peter is talented and puts together nice footage. He has an audience. It is not my cup of tea, but the results speak for themselves as you say.

Upvote 0