PHOTTIX Strato II Wireless 5 in 1 Trigger Set for Canon

Status
Not open for further replies.
revup67 said:
Yea, but then you don't have RF TTL for that 2nd flash. But if you're setting that to manual anyway, then $200 saved is definitely nice.

Just curious on this notation..I am unclear here - would TTL even be useful when applied to a (non subject) fill light or back light use for a 2nd flash? You'd get an unrelated reading of the muslin, umbrella, softbox etc..does anyone use TTL for non subject lighting?
You are correct it is best to set the background lights manual and let the subject lights use ttl but to get nice even background light its a good idea to use 2 well that's how I do it anyway.

Upvote 0
It all depends on how you use your remote speedlights. I've personally never used remote TTL and just set my background and accent lights manually. If you are camp that likes TTL controlled remotes, there are certainly ways to put that to good use. The most obvious is doing ratio lighting where you have a main and a fill light that you can set to do 1/2 or 1/3 ratios for brighter light on the mains. Being able to transmit TTL data also means you can transmit control data that is used for other things besides TTL. That means you can control remote speedlights with your master flash or directly from the back of the camera if you have any of the new Canon SLRs. I think on the newer cameras you can even do manual control of the remote flashes.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.