Playing with kenko extension tubes

Mar 25, 2011
I doubt if "Most" photographers even own extension tubes. They come in handy occasionally to allow close focus of a lens, and even a macro lens can focus closer using them. If a person is going to do a lot of Macro photography, Macro lenses are almost all excellent lenses, so they can be used for all types of photos.

After a Macro lens, my first choice would be a TC because you are not limited as far as near and infinity focus, AF works well, and you get more magnification. They are also more expensive, but being more useful is worth it.

I've used a extension tube on my 100mmL, and it works, but not really well. Canon TC's don't work with the Macro, and Kenko's latest hang all recent Canon bodies with the 100L and AFMA turned on, so they are not a option.

Upvote 0
I've used them on a 500mm lens.

We get birds at our back deck feeders which are about 10 feet from the doorway. I have used a full stack of Kenko tubes (68mm) to get the 500mm f/4 to focus that close and it works well. Most times though, the 100-400 II works better as I can handhold it more easily to keep up with the birds. Attached is a photograph using the 500mm f/4 on the new 7D MK II and extension tubes. ISO 500, 1/1000 @ f/5.6, +1 EV.

Attachments

• FRED3590-3010PX.jpg
    FRED3590-3010PX.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 269
Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2011
I used some extension tubes here :)

You can also use what is called a "close-up filter". These (if you buy a good one) have almost zero image degradation, are less expensive than a 1.4x TC and will get you more magnification.

Not all macro lenses will work (accept) a teleconverter *without* using an extension tube between the lens and TC.

Extension tubes do not affect the image, they only cost you light.

The biggest extension tube drawback is you lose the ability to focus far away- could be no more than a couple of feet depending on how many tubes are stacked. The ability of an extension tube to lower minimum focus distance is also a benefit if that's what you are looking for.

Attachments

• _Y4D0175.JPG
    _Y4D0175.JPG
    490.8 KB · Views: 275
Upvote 0
Re: I've used them on a 500mm lens.

Freddie said:
We get birds at our back deck feeders which are about 10 feet from the doorway. I have used a full stack of Kenko tubes (68mm) to get the 500mm f/4 to focus that close and it works well. Most times though, the 100-400 II works better as I can handhold it more easily to keep up with the birds. Attached is a photograph using the 500mm f/4 on the new 7D MK II and extension tubes. ISO 500, 1/1000 @ f/5.6, +1 EV.

Wow, splendid shot!

Upvote 0