R7 Focus and High Noise

I think you just have to get used to the AF. I do a lot of bird photography and use two main settings. I use eyeAF and tracking for the whole field, which works very well in most case, even for animals and humans with it being set to animals, and centre point focus when I have to locate the bird myself. I don't know the extent of your technical knowledge but I use back button focus with the AF-on button set to the eyeAF with tracking and the * button to the point focus. I also recommend for slow shutter speeds, you use electronic shutter as it eliminates any shuttershock. The EFCS setting shouldn't have it either but if you are in high speed continuous shooting, shock can be transferred from one frame to the next. Don't hesitate to ask any further questions.
Again, thank you! Yes, I also love bird photography and landscapes. We are in Houston on a mayor migratory path, so I have the opportunity of shooting birds in flight. I do it for myself, don't print pics (so I don't crop in sizes), and love to shoot birds in flight. Believe it or not, I am proficient at that, or should I say, WAS. I will adopt your settings, and I do know how to customize buttons. I thought I could just pick it up and run, but the amount of noise is throwing me for a loop. Using the EF-EOS R mount too. Anyway, I thank you profusely for spending this time with me.

Upvote 0
32 mp produces a larger output size (greater enlargement ) of image than 20mp, and therefore when compared with the smaller 20mp image (from your 7DII) will appear less sharp. Also the greater the mp (for the same size format) the less sharply the pixels are defined and so again leads to an impression of softness. I read that you’re shooting in CRAW. I believe this is still the full 32 mp but compressed.
So it’s possible that this is what you’re noticing. You can test this by taking one of your 32mp files you’re not happy with, and in lightroom reduce it to 20mp ( size at 5472 px long side like your 7DII) and then see how it compares in sharpness. You might find it looks better.
Thank you. Yes, there is some of that going on I believe. I just need to take some courses and learn the AF. Thanks for the insight!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Again, thank you! Yes, I also love bird photography and landscapes. We are in Houston on a mayor migratory path, so I have the opportunity of shooting birds in flight. I do it for myself, don't print pics (so I don't crop in sizes), and love to shoot birds in flight. Believe it or not, I am proficient at that, or should I say, WAS. I will adopt your settings, and I do know how to customize buttons. I thought I could just pick it up and run, but the amount of noise is throwing me for a loop. Using the EF-EOS R mount too. Anyway, I thank you profusely for spending this time with me.
As I said, invest in either DxO PL6 (my favourite) or Topaz Denoise as they both eat noise. Topaz Sharpen (or the AI package that does denoise, sharpen and upresolving) is very good at removing motion blur for flying birds. You are most welcome to ask me to share experience. By the way, you might want to look at the RF 100-400mm to go with the camera, it's very cheap, extremely light and very sharp.

Upvote 0
Hello! I hope that you can help me. I just got an R7 after shooting with a 7dmii with which I took tack sharp pictures. This is my first mirrorless, and I have worked with many different settings in the AF and Camera Menus. I have also reset the camera twice. Here are my issues:
1. All my pictures are in poor focus.
2. All my pictures are very noisy.

I have the following lenses, and the issue is with all of them.
1. Mount Adapter EF-EOS R Canon
2. Canon 24-105 f4
3. Canon 70-200 f2.8
4. Sigma 100-400 f5

I have taken hundreds of shots of ducks and flowers so that I would have stationary subjects and some subjects with slow movement.

I shoot in CRAW. Evaluative Meter. sRGB. HDrive. Electronic and Elec 1st-curtain. This happens with Servo and One Shot. AF
Area- I have tried all. I have turned off tracking and eye detection. When in Servo, I sue 2,4 or Auto.

I have read everything that I could find. Watched a milion YouTube videos, and I am unhappily stumped. I am willing to try anything, so if you have the expertise to help me troubleshoot this, I would be so grateful.
Problem is you are using EF moutn lenses even with the EF-EOS-R adaptor and 3rd party lenses like the sigma (which is a really good brand of lens) just does not want to be compatible. Best to get RF mount lenses like I have the 24-105 F4 the RF 70-200 F2.8 the RF 85mm F1.2 and the F2.0 and the RF 100-500lense for my R7

Upvote 0

mpphoto

CR Pro
Dec 15, 2013
Problem is you are using EF moutn lenses even with the EF-EOS-R adaptor and 3rd party lenses like the sigma (which is a really good brand of lens) just does not want to be compatible. Best to get RF mount lenses like I have the 24-105 F4 the RF 70-200 F2.8 the RF 85mm F1.2 and the F2.0 and the RF 100-500lense for my R7
This is a bad take. I've used several Sigma lenses and Canon EF lenses with the Canon EF-RF adapter on the EOS R, RP, and R6 and had no problems with compatibility. In fact, some of these adapted lenses seem to focus better on the R cameras than they did on the EF-mount cameras.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0