Poll: Are you going to be preordering the Canon EOS 90D or Canon EOS M6 Mark II?

Sep 10, 2016
My 1DX MkII's do.
Ok, two high end Canon DSLRs do. Maybe a 6D? No other high end or lower cameras have GPS, so why would it be expected in a 90D or 6DII? So the comment about no GPS because its 2019 just doesn’t apply to Canon. It seems like Canon has actually done more than other manufacturers regarding inclusion of GPS at least in some models.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Not everyone needs 50 lenses. Some people are happy with 2 or 3. The M can be perfect for a light travel setup. Just some of the lenses:

22mm, 11-22, 32mm, Sigma 16mm 1.4, Samyang 12mm, Sigma 56mm, 100 or 60mm macro and maybe a 70-200 F4 adapted.
These are all the lenses i would need.

I agree tho that Sony is in better position by having 2 mounts perfectly compatible, just like Canon had with EF and EFs
I agree when you look at options with M, EF, EF-S from Canon & Sigma. The EF 70-200 f4 L IS II is actually pretty nice on the current M5. Great images and surprisingly good balance. I would shoot handheld and not use the tripod collar to reduce weight. I have had zero issues with adapted Canon lenses on an M5. I just sold my M5 and plan to buy the M5 II if similar or better spec than rumored M6 II (this is still a rumor)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
GPS is a battery drain on DSLR and it would make the already poor shot count on mirrorless worse.

Again to me it's a very good feature. I don't have issues with the battery life, althogh sometimes GPS can drain the battery if you forget to switch the whole camera off. Those who don't want it may disable it. I hope Canon will include it in their rumoured high-res R camera.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2019
Such negativity, I'm sure both of these cameras will be successful just like past models. Maybe they are not for everyone, but is still looks to me as a very nice package (both). I have a 7Dmk2 and a M6 and still plan on purchasing both of these cameras. It will be exciting to put both to the test and see how they do.
However, I still will be looking for a real 7Dkm2 replacement even if it is mirrorless.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
EDIT: "No native mirrorless high-end lenses?" Wut?

Other than some recently announced RF lenses the current catalog just ain't there (28-70mm, 50, 85, 24-105).

Still a long ways to go for a comparable sports/action selection like the one already in existence for EF/EF-S cameras.

How about the M mount? No way in hell a current 7D owner is changing his current EF gear for a mirrorless version
of the camera with that "soccer dad" selection of lenses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not an early adopter, in general. More interested in a M5 mkII to move up from my current M6. But, I can't help wondering, where are the sensors that seemed to be forthcoming based on the patents we saw here a few weeks ago? That's what I'd like to see. Maybe that's why the M5 mkII is delayed? uhh...yeah. :rolleyes:

No chance to get M5 over M6, unless Canon removes aspects of its visual ugliness. It is probably the ugliest camera I have ever seen. It looks so weird, that having it at home, I would not sleep well, keeping my eye on the m5 fearing it is watching me and will chase me around the house. But maybe I just should stop watching the horror movies :)

Anyway - I have expected the IBIS being already there. Would piss me off, if m5 II would have one, but m6 II would not. It seems IBIS's not ready for the prime time yet. Wonder what camera is going to be first accomodating one.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Other than some recently announced RF lenses the current catalog just ain't there (28-70mm, 50, 85, 24-105).

Still a long ways to go for a comparable sports/action selection like the one already in existence for EF/EF-S cameras.

How about the M mount? No way in hell a current 7D owner is changing his current EF gear for a mirrorless version
of the camera with that "soccer dad" selection of lenses.

This is some low energy trolling bruh

Upvote 0
The 70/80D was always a great camera for people stepping up from a Rebel/Kiss. The price wasn't crushing, you could use your existing lenses, has lots of features and it was a major step up from the Rebels. I think this will do well for people still looking for that in a DSLR...

Because of that I don't see this as being a preorder monster. But I think it will be in the line up for a long time and I think they will move a pretty good number of units over time, though not as many as the 80D. DSLRs just make more sense in some situations like when battery life is a factor or in action situations. Crop makes sense from a size, weight, reach, cost perspective. If my 80D fails I will pick one up even though I prefer mirrorless. I want to love the M series but I just don't. I am happy for people who do however.
You just described me in that first paragraph. I’ve had the T3i for the last 5-1/2 years, and this (the 90D) will be my step-up camera. A top-end crop sensor DSLR with great auto focus, FPS, flip LCD with touch, EF and EF-S lens compatible, mid-level cost, new sensor, with added 4K video capabilities. Been waiting a year for this. Can’t wait to get one in my hands. :cool:

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Ok, two high end Canon DSLRs do. Maybe a 6D? No other high end or lower cameras have GPS, so why would it be expected in a 90D or 6DII? So the comment about no GPS because its 2019 just doesn’t apply to Canon. It seems like Canon has actually done more than other manufacturers regarding inclusion of GPS at least in some models.
6D
6D MkII
5D MkIV
7D MkII
1DX MkII

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Do people actually use the gps? I mean regularly rely on gps exif info?
I don't rely on it on my 6D2. But I do enable it. As suggested above, it sets the internal clock. I don't use it as my travel camera, so I don't think I've had it more than 50 miles from home. Still it is handy sometimes to know quite where I was when certain shots were taken. Birds and woods are often photographed from my deck, so GPS info is not a huge revelation.

For traveling, I use the G7X Mark II (now replaced by the G5X II for my next trips). It lacks GPS, but will get the data from my cell phone if the Cannon Connect app is running and I've paired it with the camera. Most of the time I don't bother with it. If Hadrian's Wall is visible in the shot, I have a good enough idea where it was taken. If I think I will want more location accuracy than that on a series of shots, I'll get out my phone and take a picture. Subject matter and, more importantly, the time data, will let me know where the shots were taken. Every now and then, the cell phone shot turns out to be a good picture in its own right.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
No chance to get M5 over M6, unless Canon removes aspects of its visual ugliness. It is probably the ugliest camera I have ever seen. It looks so weird, that having it at home, I would not sleep well, keeping my eye on the m5 fearing it is watching me and will chase me around the house. But maybe I just should stop watching the horror movies :)

Anyway - I have expected the IBIS being already there. Would piss me off, if m5 II would have one, but m6 II would not. It seems IBIS's not ready for the prime time yet. Wonder what camera is going to be first accomodating one.
Yup, as you suggested. Probably a good idea is to cut down on that stuff. It is bad for you. Rather. Get out and shoot more and get the most out your excellent Canon gear. It really is.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
I can’t figure out why anyone would buy an EOS M camera since Canon doesn’t provide a decent selection of lenses for the format. Adapting EF lenses to it results in a big lens with a very small camera attached; e.g. very poor ergonomics. The RF mount is clearly Canon’s future direction.

I'm actually tempted by the M6 Mark II to be mounted to big whites on a tripod, simpy for the pixel density and vibration-free FPS.

But it seems I'd be better waiting for the M5 Mark II assuming that it has a built-in viewfinder. I just find laying-on to a target easier through a viewfinder than on a screen, since my eyeline is guaranteed to be on the same axis as the lens.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi mpb.
GPS?
Expected in a 90D if it really is supposed to be a replacement for the 7DII as the 7DII has one of the most featured gps by including the compass so that not only do you know where you took a photo, but which way you were looking to get that view! Yes used it quite a bit, just annoyed with the either on or off (no sleep) power modes!
And nope, never never going to preorder a camera or lens, not paying the early adopter fee to be disappointed by the actual feature set that arrives in my hands!

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I never pre-order anything. I don't believe in paying the early adopter premium. So, I voted "no" to both, but that's not an indicator of my interest in the 90D, which I will definitely be buying to replace my wife's 80D. It just won't be right away.
I think your strategy is a good one.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0