Pop-up Hades

Mar 25, 2011
I never see a one, I'm almost embarassed. I use a ad blocker and have configured my Firefox browser to block the overlay that complains about blocked ads that are intrusive.

I don't mind ads if they're reasonable, but when there are too many, it really detracts. I try to purchase items thru Adorama using the CR referal link. I don't know if they get much, but I do want to support the site, and it is very expensive to operate the site as well as a lot of work.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I seldom use my iPhone to view CR, so I logged in and tried it. It was not a nice experience for sure, the overlay ads were the worst. I can see that those dependent on mobile devices are going to be frustrated. I have no incentive to use a ad blocker on the phone, but if I used it a lot, I'd be trying to find one that worked.

Perhaps send a email to Craig, he may not be seeing the issue if his access does not appear the same way.

Upvote 0
I do not use a smart phone or a tablet, only a laptop computer. At the advice of someone here on another thread (and thanks to them) I installed DuckDuckGo.com as my primary search engine (instead of using Google, though I still use their maps). Not only does this search engine not track your usage, it also has a built-in ad blocker that works on all sites, not just ones you find using their searches. So I have no pop-up ads on CanonRumors or elsewhere and I would recommend installing either this or another ad-blocker. However, forgive my ignorance, but I don't know if you can install those on a tablet like you can on a computer.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
I wonder how much revenue per person per annum these adds raise for Craig, assuming we see them and close them as soon as we can without clicking through (over 90% of the time, a few percent accidental click throughs that get stopped straight away and a couple of deliberate curiosity clicks in my experience).
I regularly donate to Wikipedia to keep it add free and available and I use that far less than Canon Rumours Forum, I would happily pay to use this site add free as the premium site as an option or preferably the whole thing.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Go to your iPad or iPhone Settings, scroll down to Safari and click Block Pop-ups. Problem solved.
I have pop-ups blocked in my Safari settings on my iPhone but I'm still seeing the ads on CR.

Understand the ads may help pay for the CR site, but the problem is the ads are quite intrusive because they really do get in the way of reading the CR website content. Not such an issue on a desktop screen (although even then I find the way they overlay content is irritating), but very annoying on a smaller screen (eg phone).

Upvote 0
On an IPad, turning on the pop up blocker in Safari had no noticeable effect at CR for me.
I think i’ve Found a solution though by installing a VPN app and then Turning on it’s blocker. This is a subscription app, but worth it to me getting benefits of a VPN and an effective blocker. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Hi Folks.
I wonder how much revenue per person per annum these adds raise for Craig, assuming we see them and close them as soon as we can without clicking through (over 90% of the time, a few percent accidental click throughs that get stopped straight away and a couple of deliberate curiosity clicks in my experience).
I regularly donate to Wikipedia to keep it add free and available and I use that far less than Canon Rumours Forum, I would happily pay to use this site add free as the premium site as an option or preferably the whole thing.

Cheers, Graham.
I'd suggest that you propose that to craig. I doubt if donations or nominal fees would cover the cost of running the site, but they might make it possible to have fewer ads.

A buy and sell forum is also possible, a Nominal fee could be charged to sell. There are issues doing that because of scammers, and the hassle they bring. The Forum software, Xenforo seems to cover donations and fees, so its a matter of Craigs preferences and the amount of work involved. More mods might be needed.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mt Spokane.
I did mention this once before, I think it was in the run up to the platform change and I thought Craig said he was thinking about it, of course I might be remembering wrongly!
When I replied I thought this was the thread Craig was monitoring, it could perhaps be considered that the op posted in the wrong place as the Suggestions / Issues with the New CR Site thread would probably have been more suitable although it might be more likely to get lost in the mass that is there! :unsure::unsure:

Cheers, Graham.

I'd suggest that you propose that to craig. I doubt if donations or nominal fees would cover the cost of running the site, but they might make it possible to have fewer ads.

A buy and sell forum is also possible, a Nominal fee could be charged to sell. There are issues doing that because of scammers, and the hassle they bring. The Forum software, Xenforo seems to cover donations and fees, so its a matter of Craigs preferences and the amount of work involved. More mods might be needed.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Hi Mt Spokane.
I did mention this once before, I think it was in the run up to the platform change and I thought Craig said he was thinking about it, of course I might be remembering wrongly!
When I replied I thought this was the thread Craig was monitoring, it could perhaps be considered that the op posted in the wrong place as the Suggestions / Issues with the New CR Site thread would probably have been more suitable although it might be more likely to get lost in the mass that is there! :unsure::unsure:

Cheers, Graham.
I think that Craig can't read everything, so its just sporadic. Dropping him a note with a link to the post would get his attention.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The ads that are annoying everyone, including myself will be gone by November 1, 2018. I've requested they be removed by a company I switched to on October 1st, 2018 to handle the ad network and they haven't bothered to remove them yet. So I'm moving back to my previous ad company.

The new baby life has slowed some progress on the site, but a subscription model is in the works.

I apologize for the annoyance, and it'll be corrected shortly.

Upvote 0