Possible Canon Cinema EOS C300 Mark III update [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Update: New information in bold.
I have been told that the next Cinema camera Canon announces is likely called the “Cinema EOS C300 Mark III”.
Canon Cinema EOS C300 Mark III information:

Most likely will be called C300 Mk III (almost 100% confirmed)
It has the same body as the C500 Mk II and uses the same accessories
Just as the C500 Mk II, it has the same optical axis as the C200 and C700 cameras, so the bridge plates, shoulder mounts, and rod supports are the same
It sports a 4K super 35 sensor with the capability of recording 4K120 without crop in Cinema RAW Light format
It also has a “dual ISO” function when recording in XF-AVC
It has an anamorphic de-squeeze function and false-color built in for monitoring (with the C300 Mk II you had to use an external monitor with these functions)
New Super35 sensor, developed from scratch
4K up to 120p with Dual Pixel AF, 2K up to 150p

Canon will also reportedly announced a new Cinema lens alongside the new camera body.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
I keep hoping without hope that there will be a new C100, but I suppose the upcoming R5 is intended to be the baby cinema camera going forward.
I hope that the R5 has a decent audio solution, including level adjustment while shooting, levels on screen, and hopefully they release a shotgun mic with physical level controls and a digital connection to the R5, like the new Sony mic for the A series.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I keep hoping without hope that there will be a new C100, but I suppose the upcoming R5 is intended to be the baby cinema camera going forward.
I hope that the R5 has a decent audio solution, including level adjustment while shooting, levels on screen, and hopefully they release a shotgun mic with physical level controls and a digital connection to the R5, like the new Sony mic for the A series.
I wish for the same too! Im stuck with a c100 mark ii since 2015 and still waiting and waiting for the replacement. If it doesn't come this year then c200 is one way road...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Personally I think that is a bad (read proprietary) way to go. If they are going to do anything about professional audio for the R5 then it needs to be an XLR module like Panasonic did and like Canon did for the XC-15 so that all of the current XLR mics, adaptors, receivers, etc work with it vs. a proprietary solution that limits you to whatever limited options are available or some 3rd party workaround.

Sony loves proprietary implementations which is just one more reason on a long list of reasons why I will probably never own a Sony camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2011

SoundDevices MixPre 3 is awesome if you need XLR ins. We use them on our EOS Rs, and they are great - hardware limiters, great sounding pres, tons of routing options, and yes, you can run audio back into the camera with a 1/8" stereo cable if you don't want to mess with syncing files later. Works great as a pre or recorder or both.

I honestly don't know that anything Canon would come up with would convince me to use anything else right now.

$.02

Upvote 0

And if Canon doesn't deliver & Mono is fine for you, the Rode videomic NTG is a very fine tool. I wanted to buy some NTG4 or maybe the NTG5 but I was not shure if an XLR solution was the right thing for me (to bulky) and then came the videomic NTG: It has a physical level control (Knob without any (mechanical) steps) , no digital connection to the camera (except the camera has a USB port which accepts such devices) - but it can be used as a USB microphone on a PC too.

I am new in audio but I think I know a little bit about what it has to sound and this is the first microphone where I accept my own voice :) Sound is clean, rich and without any artificial "spoken through a tube" artifacts.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Ok so Full Frame starts at the C500 level then. With the C300 Mk3 being crop... there's little to no room left for Both a C100 and C200.

C500 @ $16k
C300 @ $10k (?)
C200 @ $7k
C100 @ $5k

It's getting pretty squashed down under the $10K level. Doesn't seem like there's enough room for 3 of them. Further if the C300Mk3 comes in at $12-13k then why not drop the extra $3-4k and the C500 with FF? We're talking about full time pros here, and a couple thousand one way or another on a camera body at this level is relatively meaningless. Just thinking out loud here trying to decipher where Canon is going with this. Huge price drop on C200? Goes to $5-6k (for the kit) new? If so, the C100 like goes bye-bye.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Ok so Full Frame starts at the C500 level then. With the C300 Mk3 being crop... there's little to no room left for Both a C100 and C200.

C500 @ $16k
C300 @ $10k (?)
C200 @ $7k
C100 @ $5k

It's getting pretty squashed down under the $10K level. Doesn't seem like there's enough room for 3 of them. Further if the C300Mk3 comes in at $12-13k then why not drop the extra $3-4k and the C500 with FF? We're talking about full time pros here, and a couple thousand one way or another on a camera body at this level is relatively meaningless. Just thinking out loud here trying to decipher where Canon is going with this. Huge price drop on C200? Goes to $5-6k (for the kit) new? If so, the C100 like goes bye-bye.
The big question for me is when does an RF mount show up in their cinema line. I want to get the R6 to replace my GH5 (if the final specs don't disappoint), and I want a cinema camera to go with it but without an RF mount I'll be stuck with two lens systems. Canon has to know that this will be a problem for their Cinema customers going forward.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
The big question for me is when does an RF mount show up in their cinema line. I want to get the R6 to replace my GH5 (if the final specs don't disappoint), and I want a cinema camera to go with it but without an RF mount I'll be stuck with two lens systems. Canon has to know that this will be a problem for their Cinema customers going forward.

Well as of now the answer is "Buy EF Glass and adapt it to your RF body". I don't see Canon going RF with Cinema bodies unless/until they decide to make RF Cinema Glass.

• Wow
Upvote 0
Was really hoping for a full frame sensor but 4K only. But Super35 with 4k raw up to 120fps sounds pretty great as well. If only Canon made a high-end 16-55mm f2 IS or f2.8 IS for the Super35 sensor, then we'd be in business.

Still hoping this is RF Mount compatible. Easy to make an RF Mount removable and replace it with an EF or PL Mount. Hopefully they do that here. Would love to use those RF zooms with great stabilization on a Cinema EOS body.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
SoundDevices MixPre 3 is awesome if you need XLR ins. We use them on our EOS Rs, and they are great - hardware limiters, great sounding pres, tons of routing options, and yes, you can run audio back into the camera with a 1/8" stereo cable if you don't want to mess with syncing files later. Works great as a pre or recorder or both.

I honestly don't know that anything Canon would come up with would convince me to use anything else right now.

$.02
How exactly is your workflow? What is the MixPre doing? Do you record the audio with the MixPres SD card option? Or do you give the signal out and record it into the camera? If so, dont you lose the 3 channels which are combined into one channel? So in case you have 3 microphones, you only have one line which you can edit?

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Well as of now the answer is "Buy EF Glass and adapt it to your RF body". I don't see Canon going RF with Cinema bodies unless/until they decide to make RF Cinema Glass.
Which is an PERFECT option in my opinion. There is an adapter with a adjustable nd filter inside! Which means the R5 will have not only IBIS, 10bit 4k but also an stepless INTERNAL ND filter if you use EF. Thats excellent for filmmakers. Its just soooooooooo bad to hussle with different front ND Filters.

Upvote 0
Which is an PERFECT option in my opinion. There is an adapter with a adjustable nd filter inside! Which means the R5 will have not only IBIS, 10bit 4k but also an stepless INTERNAL ND filter if you use EF. Thats excellent for filmmakers. Its just soooooooooo bad to hussle with different front ND Filters.
Good way of looking at it, lot's of positives! But that RF glass is just so good :p

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Good way of looking at it, lot's of positives! But that RF glass is just so good :p
Ha, thats true :-D
Though I allready own a lot of EF glass - so I guess the transition to the R5 with the adapter and the ND Filter Adapter will be very smooth for me.

I cant wait for this camera... currently I have such a mixed equipment list: (Canon 5D for photos, 1D for video), but mostly Lumix S1H and Gh5 for video and the Sony A7R IV for photo. If the R5 delivers, I can easily sell the 5D, the 1D, the S1H, Gh5 and A7R IV and just replace all of this stuff with just 2 camera bodys. Its ideal <3 :)

Upvote 0
I wish for the same too! Im stuck with a c100 mark ii since 2015 and still waiting and waiting for the replacement. If it doesn't come this year then c200 is one way road...

I'm waiting on the R5 details. I really want small and lightweight. The Sony A7s III may offer something compelling as well.

Upvote 0

$.02

I've had my eye on the SoundDevices for sure. The MixPre 6 is only a little more expensive. But an in Camera option with fewer pieces to bolt on is best for me. All of these extra bolt-ons tend to get loose and flop around. I hate that.

Upvote 0