Possible Confirmation of Takeover Talks Between Apple and Canon !!!

Here is a copy of an interesting block of translated text taken out of a stated-to-be
email taken from the Japanese side of what is a purported message BETWEEN Apple's Luca Maestri, Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, CC: Dan Ricccio, Vice President Hardware Engineering ...AND... Canon's Toshizo Tanaka, Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, CC: Shigeyuki Matsumoto, Executive Vice President, Chief Technology Officer indicating that Apple wishes to heavily change its internal structure into new product groups which may include purchasing all of Canon.

Noting that Oce' is a Canon division and that Canon is mentioned a few times and that PROFESSIONAL STILLS and VIDEO cameras are also mentioned seems to indicate that Apple MAY INDEED be taking a closer look at various companies such as Canon.

There are SIGNIFICANT product insights which SEEM to confirm earlier posts I have made in other forums about Apple wanting to bring CPU, GPU and RAM chip production within Apple itself! I also see mentions of NEW professional-level APPLE SERVER and workstations systems, and mentions of plastic or metal 3D printing, in addition to mentions of "8K" and larger resolution networked display systems! I also see mentions of possible Apple forays into Telecom communications (i.e. private wireless Applecentric voice and data networks!), TV network broadcasting, self-driving vehicles and consumer robotics.

The text below is a human-translated text block where it was indicated to me that it was cut out of a larger block of email text. I won't ask and they wont tell is what is tacitly understood between me and my sources.

I DO THINK THAT THERE MAY YET BE SUBSTANCE to the rumour that Apple wishes to BUY ALL OF CANON !!!!

I suspect this is a "Shared Vision" document intended to showcase a future vision within a combined Apple and Canon entity about what products and systems are to be focused upon in the near and medium-term future. I should note that while there are some Japanese government roadblocks to a Canon takeover by Apple, if the talks have proceeded to the level of executive noted at the top of this post, then it means SOME Japanese government officials have ALREADY given tacit approval to just such a merger!

In my opinion, it also make technological sense since Canon has the 3rd largest patent profile of the major media and computer companies! Apple would receive microchip manufacturing expertise and patents, optical and other spectral sensor technology, 2D printing technology, high-end display technology and a large consumer base which already would be a captive audience for selling advanced future Apple products based upon a purchase of Canon technology! And financially, the $48 to $55 Billion US that this would cost Apple is barely a low-medium-size dip into Apple's cash bucket! It would be a bargain when compared to Apple trying to buy Sony!

Please note that the text formatting and ordered numbering is what was in the original text and is unchanged from my sources.

=====================
START OF COPIED TEXT BLOCK:
=====================

Proposed Formation of Apple Professional And Consumer Imaging Systems Group

1. Commercial-level and high speed printing re: Combine Oce' division products refitted as Apple high speed six color and eight color inkjet, lasercopier, high speed scanning, high speed OCR, and direct-to-plate + offset printing groups.

2. Small office to commercial wide format Canon inkjet printing systems with emphasis upon higher profit margins doing more than four color inkjet, high quality scanning, medium speed OCR systems and high longevity inks.

3. Commercial production run capable metal powder deposition 3D printing, multicolor reinforced composite 3D printing from 500 x 500 x 500 mm at up to 2000 x 2000 x 2000 mm sizes.

4. Home office and industrial design oriented desktop 3D metal powder deposition 3D printing, multicolor reinforced composite 3D printing at up to 300 x 300 x 300 mm sizes.

5. Professional stills and video systems and home + commercial security video systems using mirrorless, global shutter optical and multiband sensors. Emphasis on worldwide support and service network. Requires high visibility media saturation of products.

6. Consumer stills and video products: Includes standalone interchangeable lens still photo and video cameras, iPad, iPhone, xBook, Apple Watch using integrated sensory software and onboard compute for 8K or greater resolution sensors.

7. Professional displays for flat, curved, square and 3D volumetric use: High refresh rates at 8K and greater resolutions going up to 1000 ppi and onboard stereoscopic vision recognition.

8. Smart consumer displays for flat, curved and 3D volumetric at 8K resolution minimum with emphasis on Apple TV models up to 83 inches. All require onboard stereoscopic cameras. Some display systems will be all-in-one compute systems but other Apple TV products will allow for end user initiated computational lego-brick addons. Apple TV to be embedded with rich media oriented onboard intelligent assistants, onboard cameras + videophones, embedded connections to Apple Broadcast and Gaming Network, fully integrated with iTunes.

Proposed Formation of Apple Consumer and Professional Wireless Communications Group

1. Apple-only secured carrier level global reach enhanced RF and 5G+ communications network for low-bandwidth IoT and long range + high bandwidth voice, commercial broadband data, broadcast video.

2. Apple-only consumer oriented global reach enhanced RF and 5G+ voice, data and broadcast network with carrier class communications for consumers on monthly variable and fixed price plans. Wireless data and video services to be in 20 Gigabyte or 10 hour increments. Prices starting at $25 per month for basic 20 gigabytes of data and video.

3. Apple-only wide area high atmosphere autonomous dirigible RF and 5G+ antenna + transceiver + ground mesh network systems for global voice, data, broadcast: Expect that FAA approval will be within defined timeline for 60,000 ft to 70,000 ft operation balancing adverse weather protection and long range, high bandwidth communications limits. Flight level has little commercial and military air traffic to contend with for faster FAA approval.

Proposed Formation of Apple Manufacturing Systems Group

1. Apple-only high capacity beyond NAND memory manufacturing using 3D layers for systems memory, general fixed storage and removable storage systems with major emphasis on advanced error correction and encryption.

2. Apple-only multicore 3D stacked combined CPU and GPU chip manufacturing for all Apple mobile, desktop and server systems. Emphasis on power efficient, many core, 3D stacked technology and combining CPU and GPU functions at same clock speed.

3. Apple-only enhanced RF and 5G+ communications chip design and manufacturing combining long range to upper atmosphere + local wireless gigabit to terabit WAN and LAN operations. Emphasis for long range, high speed adverse weather air-to-groundstation and ground-to-airstation voice, data and video communications at 4G+ speeds and local mesh networks at 5G+ speeds. Emphasis on upgradeable realtime end-to-end encryption for all voice and data. Support all enhanced IPV6 security, prioritization and IoT communications extensions.

4. Apple-only 8K or greater resolution multiple aspect ratio sensor production with onboard stacked signal processor or combined CPU and GPU. Emphasis towards onboard signal processor or combined CPU and GPU with accelerated vision recognition, builtin infrared nightvision and optical low light sensors to all consumer and professional sensor products.

5. Inhouse production and direct sales of compact commercial server class systems for lights out operations. Extensible lego-block like computation bricks with optical 10 gigabit and greater communications and networking. Emphasis on small physical size, power efficiency, many core, many threaded OS and built in multiple intelligent agents software. Will allow local server, server farms, scale-up and scale-out scenarios. Limited need for server and network administrators using multiple end user friendly intelligent agents for initial setup and ongoing administration. Need to go beyond the capabilities of and make such simpler to use than Active Directory!

6. Inhouse production and direct sales of professional workstation class systems with very high resolution 8K or greater resolution flat, curved, square and 3D volumetric displays. Extensible lego-block computation and display engine bricks for desktop and studio use.

7. Consumer products manufacturing such as iPhone, iPad, xBook, Apple Watch, desktop, intelligent 8K or greater resolution TV's. May move inhouse but most likely continuance of Foxconn relationship for the foreseeable future. Possible inhouse high automation TV manufacturing, beyond NAND memory, combined cpu and gpu, 5G+ chip production and professional systems production facility in Nevada, Idaho or Utah.

Proposed Formation of Apple Intelligent Systems Group

1. Intelligent agent systems extending Siri into the office, shop floor, lab and customer space with realtime voice and text translation. Emphasis on highly fluid and realistic customer service experience.

2. Intelligent location finding and positioning systems for precise know-where-i-am and containing automated, precise know-what-it-is sensory software and hardware. Large object human assisted object and environment recognition database construction is required.

3. Autonomous commercial mobility systems for automated shipping, receiving, delivery of packages and personnel in varied and fast paced environs. Will require multiple hardware accelerated computation systems and infield update of onboard object and environment recognition databases. Will include driverless on-highway commercial transport vehicles and autonomous aerial delivery systems.

4. Consumer level driverless car and trucks in group shared, individually leased or purchased and corporate fleet-use scenarios. Will require multiple hardware accelerated computation systems and infield update of onboard object and environment recognition databases. Emphasis towards onboard intelligent agents with rich media communications and multiuser entertainment and passenger comfort systems. Will require very fast external charging or autonomously replaceable quick-change power pack systems.

5. Autonomous high agility robotic systems that are multilimbed or multiwheeled autonomous. Continuation of product development to human-and-beyond levels of dexterity and flexibility. Current emphasis on home automation and consumer level human assistance products such as beyond Roomba + advanced laundry and kitchen duties. Unassisted stairclimbing and onboard object and environment recognition is largest obstacle but not insurmountable. Wide viewpoint stereoscopic and multiband optical and radar, or lidar machine vision will be required. Will require multiple hardware accelerated computation systems and infield update of onboard object and environment recognition databases.

====================
END OF COPIED TEXT BLOCK:
====================

YUP!!! This is a pretty BIG OUTLINE of what I think looks to be a viable outline of future Apple product development and Apple PLANS for the PURCHASE of Canon!

I do note the CC: of the chief technology officers of Apple and Canon indicates that TECHNICAL ASPIRATIONS were included as part of a general division of products group matrix which is probably a spreadsheet that was done FIRST by the two Finance guys and then sub-tasked to the technical people! The text to me is definitely a bit language-sensitive where some technical terms seemed confusingly placed, which in my eyes supports LIKELY Japanese-to-English translation problems.
That gives me a decent bit of support to its authenticity!

Also note the mention of xBook TWICE in the document! Is this an accidental disclosure of an upcoming Apple high-performance laptop because xBook is NOT YET in any Apple announcements or on its website!

NOW If I get a letter from Canon OR Apple lawyers to take this down then we DEFINITELY know its REAL !!!!

I had asked about a timeline and I was informed that none is/was outlined in the original email text.

REMEMBER! YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST !!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 25, 2011
Total Fantasy, no reference to a credible source. Japanese companies like Canon are Crown Jewels in Japan, no government official who even suggested a approval would keep his job.
Where do you dredge up this stuff?
On the other hand, a blast from the past!
https://www.cultofmac.com/477553/apple-history-canon-apple-acquisition/

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
unfocused said:
Fleetie said:
Harry,

On 29th April, you said:

...BUT...

we DO have another software surprise for you which should be happening right around this coming Wednesday....

Well it's now over a week later than you indicated, and we're still waiting.

So...? Have you got anything, or not?

(I think we know the answer.)

Still waiting...

June 5. Still waiting....

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Total Fantasy, no reference to a credible source. Japanese companies like Canon are Crown Jewels in Japan, no government official who even suggested a approval would keep his job.

---

They put a foreigner in charge of Sony for a few years, so it is NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION that the Japanese government would let a company LIKE Canon who is affiliated with only the fairly low-level Fuyo Group keiretsu (i.e. conglomerate of related companies) into western hands.

In fact, I would not be surprised to find out that TACIT APPROVAL amongst all the other Fuyo Group keiretsu members has already been given. Canon is one of the few companies in Japan where the Japanese public perception of it is more as a Global Company rather than a truly Japanese-only company. In terms of government approval, Apple is probably the ONLY company in the world that has the public clout to be ALLOWED to buy all of Canon. It would be run as a SEPARATE division of Apple with headquarters and executive left unchanged BUT its patent portfolio would be allowed to be accessed unhindered by Apple. The ONLY CHANGE would be strictly an additional board member or two FROM Apple and the merging of some product lines probably the printing and photo/video systems which would LIKELY be slowly rebranded over a number of years to the Apple logo.

This gives credence to my earlier statements from my European sources about a smartphone coming out with a very large sensor....My mistake was thinking it was to be Canon branded...when in reality it is an Apple iPhone using Canon sensor and lens technology.

----

Like I said...when the forum takedown notice comes in from Apple and/or Canon lawyers...THEN WE WILL KNOW THIS IS REAL !!!!!

On a second note, I am wonder what the xBook is that was referred to TWICE in the posting! I suspect it is a high-performance laptop coming soon from Apple!

And again, Apple would want Canon for it's high precision optics systems allowing Apple to do CPU/GPU/DSP/RAM/5G+ microchip production ENTIRELY IN-HOUSE !!!

I also suspect a second consideration is Image Sensor and High End Display Systems patent portfolio (Canon has INTERNAL Quantum Dot and OLED patents and display systems --- see it's $35,000+ Critical Reference Monitors) AND the Canon consumer profile fits the buyer type that Apple wants to sell to! And at an up to $55 Billion purchase price, Canon is a BARGAIN compared to trying to gobble up a Sony, Philips or IBM for their patent portfolios !!! Yes I do agree there is some legwork in terms of getting government approval, BUT....assuming this text IS REAL, and the recipients are the ACTUAL email recipients...it means that at that level of executive discourse...some government approval has ALREADY been likely given to go ahead with formal talks. I would keep watching Canon and Apple stock prices in the next few days to see if any large (i.e. greater than 0.5% to 1%) price swings happen which indicate insider knowledge of talks. If you see a sudden 2% swing in BOTH companies stock prices either upwards or downwards, then something is afoot and someone needs to dig deeper into someone purposefully shorting a stock or expecting a BIG increase because of information they have obtained!

I don't own ANY stocks so it doesn't bother me but to others that 2% change could be a greater than $100 Million plus or minus difference in profits! I personally think a takeover of Canon by Apple would be GREAT AND THAT PURCHASE WOULD FINALLY give us some decent user interface technology in pro-level and consumer camera systems and YES! it would FINALLY give us a combined large sensor interchangeable lens-based, high-performance smartphone!

APPLE IS BUYING CANON SOON !!!!!

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST !!!!!

P.S. I was told that this email was written sometime in Early First Quarter 2018 and that there are OTHER emails from Fourth Quarter 2017 and Later First Quarter 2018 which contain even more interesting SPECIFIC details about an Apple buyout of Canon! I do NOT have those OTHER emails and my requests for more information have been currently refused/denied!

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
unfocused said:
Fleetie said:
Harry,

On 29th April, you said:

...BUT...

we DO have another software surprise for you which should be happening right around this coming Wednesday....

Still waiting...

===

Let's just say I'm not allowed to talk about it for a little while yet.....you'll see it soon enough....he he he !!! :) ;-) ;-) :)

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
HarryFilm said:
unfocused said:
unfocused said:
Fleetie said:
Harry,

On 29th April, you said:

...BUT...

Still waiting...

===

Let's just say I'm not allowed to talk about it for a little while yet.....you'll see it soon enough....he he he !!! :) ;-) ;-) :)

How can you tell when Harry is lying? He's posting on Canon rumors.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
HarryFilm said:
brad-man said:
If you don't feed him, he will go away...

===

NOPE! That doesn't work either!!! You just tick off the monster and when he gets REALLY HUNGRY...he GETS MAD !!!! And will be looking around hungrily wanting to EAT YOU !!!!!

Well, before you can eat me you'll have to BITE ME!

Attachments

• Bart.jpg
    Bart.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,666
Upvote 0
Now in terms of some more historical perspective, it wasn't that long ago (1995) where it was Canon who was supposed to BUY APPLE! The US Government was actually fine with that and many westerners thought Canon would give Apple a big shot in the arm via its superior printing and imaging systems technology.

And TODAY, since MANY Japanese see Canon as a truly GLOBAL company rather than as a Japanese-only company, I really don't think the objection within the Japanese government would be as high as say Apple trying to buy Sony! THAT would be politically unpalatable....But Apple Buying Canon? The rumor mill even in Japanese business circles (which I have access to!) is that it isn't really that big of a deal since Apple would only be allowed to add MAYBE two extra board members and only be allowed have access to its HUGE patent portfolio which is what Apple really wants!

Apple really doesn't want to run Canon...They would let the Japanese executives do that! BUT I am pretty sure that within five years of such a merger, you WILL be seeing Apple logos on DSLR/Mirrorless cameras and high end printers! You will ALSO be seeing Canon-originated Quantum Dot display technology and large sensors on Apple smartphones, tablets, laptops and desktop computers!

In my opinion, Apple buying Canon would be a PERFECT UNION of technological giants. Their product portfolios do not overlap to any significant degree and their customer base is complementary! Almost ALL the Canon 1DxMk2 or C200/C300/C700 owners I know use iPads, iPhones, Macbooks and/or Apple Desktops.

With Apple's superior user interfaces mated with Canon's FANTASTIC cameras, lenses and printers, the combined company would be an IMAGING POWERHOUSE! In that scenario, I would definitely see Nikon possibly being bought out by Sony since Nikon wouldn't be able to make it on it's own. For end users, it would be AN AWESOME COMPETITION between Sony and Apple/Canon with GREAT products coming out the yin-yang every few months from BOTH companies!

If this Apple/Canon buyout went ahead, in response, I actually do see Microsoft running over to Sony for a MASSIVE MEDIA COMPANY MERGER where they join forces to counteract such a move. AND I would see the stock market CLAPPING ITS HANDS WILDLY over such a possibility since Sony and Microsoft really do need each other in order to counteract the Apple/Canon behemoth! I also see no real objection from the US government OTHER than for Anti-trust issues on Gaming consoles which I expect the X-Box division to be sold off to PROBABLY Comcast or maybe even Disney!

In this case, Sony gains a Workstation and Server OS landscape and Microsoft gains access to the superior Playstation computing platform embedded with a Microsoft OS. The Sony xPeria division would merge with Microsoft Mobile and some SWEET new Windows high-horsepower Phones/Tablets/Laptops would be the result.

I also foresee Microsoft putting the Azure Cloud system on networked industrial versions of the Playstation console becoming an inexpensive and very respectable performance client/server platform. THAT would SERIOUSLY CHALLENGE Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE), IBM, Oracle and Dell for hardware sales!

AGAIN! --- YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST !!!!

Apple Buys Canon Entirely!

AND THEN

Sony Buys Nikon and Merges with Microsoft!

In such a case, within five years we would have cheap 16k displays, multiple choices for large sensor smartphones and supercomputer-level tablets, laptops and desktops coming from BOTH of Apple/Canon and Sony/Nikon/Microsoft !!!!

What's not to like about that?

---

P.S. For the final bell, we would LIKELY SEE Fuji buying out Sigma and then merging with Ricoh (Pentax) to be the counterfoil to the Apple/Canon and Sony/Nikon/Microsoft multimedia company behemoths!

P.S.2 Ahhhhh what the heck....let's keep going on the merger mania with Disney, IBM, Philips and Bertelsmann merging to be the fourth wheel of the media giants landscape to counter the USA/Japan media company combination with a USA/Euro media company combination!

That would probably help reduce our monthly cell phone and cable/broadband data plan bills by probably 50% in that sort of competitive landscape! $40 a month for 300 gigabytes/mnth at Gigabit speeds? I'm ALL IN!

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
HarryFilm said:
Orangutan said:
HarryFilm said:
They put a...

Please stick with the clownish humor, and drop the racist language.

That wasn't actually my quote! It was a a quote if I remember correctly from a major industry magazine ...The term "roundeye" is a actually a badly translated-to-English Cantonese term...

No excuse and your mental gymnastics are ridiculous. You used the term. Now you own it. I won't tolerate racism no matter how much you obfuscate. I reported this and hope you will be suspended.

Upvote 0
brad-man said:
HarryFilm said:
brad-man said:
If you don't feed him, he will go away...

===

NOPE! That doesn't work either!!! You just tick off the monster and when he gets REALLY HUNGRY...he GETS MAD !!!! And will be looking around hungrily wanting to EAT YOU !!!!!

Well, before you can eat me you'll have to BITE ME!

Hmmmm....Not a particularly tasty appertif! Too much "Au Jus" would be required to make it palatable...BUT....I do have some MORE rumours for you on a new large sensor smartphone that's coming out REAL SOON NOW !!!!

That might make yer tush all tender as teriyaki.....

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I think at this point one can make a better argument for Apple buying Canon than for Sun buying Apple. But even with all their billions lying around, it would be out of character for Apple to purchase a large company with diversified divisions. My guess is that their success in recent decades is grounded in not straying too far from their core competence areas.

A very successful purchasing strategy has been to acquire chip design companies, both for the designers and the patents. I don’t think they have got so much into fabrication. The A series chips keep getting more powerful while still working in small devices. Pundits even suggest that they could eventually replace the chips in Macs, given the slowing progress Intel seems to be making. That transition still looks to me to be more trouble than it is worth, even with the common BSD foundation of both OSes. The clever design of having multiple cores of different speeds and power consumption clearly is of benefit to phones and pads, but not so obviously Macs.

Perhaps this is an area where Apple could be of more benefit to Canon than vice versa. I don’t know how the processors in Canon cameras compare to those in an iPad Pro. I’m guessing not so favorably. Whether Canons fabrication would benefit Apple, or technologies like 3D printing would make the purchase worthwhile, I won’t guess. But those sound like things Apple would outsource. But back to chips, think of the ability to support full frame-width 8K video on a future 5DSwhatever.

Perhaps instructive is despite all of rumors of car development, Apple hasn’t bought Tesla or some other auto maker. And then one could suggest that the real value of Tesla to Apple would be battery technology.

I don’t know enough about any of this to comment intelligently. But then I also doubt that in a lot of pundits who write about these things for a living.

Upvote 0
stevelee said:
I think at this point one can make a better argument for Apple buying Canon than for Sun buying Apple. But even with all their billions lying around, it would be out of character for Apple to purchase a large company with diversified divisions. My guess is that their success in recent decades is grounded in not straying too far from their core competence areas.

A very successful purchasing strategy has been to acquire chip design companies, both for the designers and the patents. I don’t think they have got so much into fabrication. The A series chips keep getting more powerful while still working in small devices. Pundits even suggest that they could eventually replace the chips in Macs, given the slowing progress Intel seems to be making. That transition still looks to me to be more trouble than it is worth, even with the common BSD foundation of both OSes. The clever design of having multiple cores of different speeds and power consumption clearly is of benefit to phones and pads, but not so obviously Macs.

Perhaps this is an area where Apple could be of more benefit to Canon than vice versa. I don’t know how the processors in Canon cameras compare to those in an iPad Pro. I’m guessing not so favorably. Whether Canons fabrication would benefit Apple, or technologies like 3D printing would make the purchase worthwhile, I won’t guess. But those sound like things Apple would outsource. But back to chips, think of the ability to support full frame-width 8K video on a future 5DSwhatever.

Perhaps instructive is despite all of rumors of car development, Apple hasn’t bought Tesla or some other auto maker. And then one could suggest that the real value of Tesla to Apple would be battery technology.

I don’t know enough about any of this to comment intelligently. But then I also doubt that in a lot of pundits who write about these things for a living.

===

You are INDEED CORRECT that with 200,000 employees Canon would a be a rather LARGE DISH TO EAT for Apple......BUT.......since the Japanese government wouldn't actually allow anything other than the initial financial transaction (i.e. money exchanged!), some Apple board members in Canon's boardroom and access to Canon's patent portfolio BUT NO ACTUAL change of headquarters or executive leadership, I think Apple would do fine! They don't really want to run Canon! They just want Apple's logo on the cameras and printers, Canon's patents and chip-building expertise!

In terms of horsepower, the A-series Apple are a MONSTER STEP above the Canon DIGIC series (which have the SAME ARM-base!) -- Put an Apple A10/A11/A12 chip on a Canon 1DxMk3 and it would SING WONDERFULLY with 8k video at 120 fps! Battery life would suck though!

I did notice that one of the MANUFACTURING locations for Apple onshore products manufacturing in my original post mentioned Nevada, Utah AND IDAHO! ---- The reason THAT in interesting is that Micron Technology (i.e. supplier of Kingston and Ballistix RAM memory chips!) is based in Boise, Idaho so I wouldn't NOT be surprised to think that Apple might also want some premade NAND RAM chip memory expertise!

At a reasonable five times income ratio, it would only cost Apple around $25 billion US to buy outright!

For a SECOND ACQUISITION, I would say that Apple should ALSO take a look at Texas Instruments! Their DSP and CPU manufacturing expertise is second-to-none!
And at 5x operating income, I'd make an offer for about $27 Billion to whet Texas Instruments shareholder appetites! That offer would likely be high enough that an IBM or Oracle would NOT enter a bidding war for TI!

Apple could then move ALL chip production completely in-house!

It could ALSO be foreseen that CANON might take a run at Texas Instruments!
so it could get chip fabbing capacity/expertise and access to TI's chip patents portfolio! Hmmmm.....a Two GHz 16 core TI ARM CPU + GPU processor in a Canon Camera or Canon smartphone WOULD ALSO BE SWEET !!!!!!

In terms of 3D printing, BOTH Canon AND Apple should take a look at Markforged.com as their metal powder deposition and plastic composite 3D printers would be IDEAL for either company to sell at HIGH PROFIT MARGINS! Just remember to make sure you make the final object output sizes bigger (i.e. up to 400mm by 400mm by 400mm or larger!)

I do have a sneaky suspicion that Sony has been looking at Sigma for their lenses!
Rebranded Sigma Art Series on Sony E-mount Still and Video Cameras would work for me! And since Sigma ALSO HAS the Foveon 3D-stacked RGB photosite sensor technology, that would DEFINITELY WORK in Sony's favour for buying Sigma outright!

---

Again, my original post is something from my European sources and that have been pretty good so far with what has come down the pipeline! They correctly predicted the C700 cinema camera with its Global Shutter option AND its multi-codec nature, so I am inclined to place SOME GOOD FAITH in their assertion that Apple is talking with Canon over SOME SORT of corporate purchase or maybe even just a joint-venture agreement! We won't know until either it's announced in the media OR you see Canon or Apple's lawyers serving a takedown notice to CanonRumors for my initial post! THEN we will KNOW its for real !!!!

We Shall See What Happens.......STAY TUNED !!!!

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Mt Spokane Photography said:
But it was OK for Canon to buy Axis a Swedish surveillance company for $ 2.6bn? Or Softbank to buy Arm Holdings a UK chip designer for $ 32bn? I agree this looks like fantasy but plenty of Japanese companies buy foreign businesses it has to be a two-way street.

Apple have some really good engineers on the camera side of there smart phones etc. I know two of them personally the only way Apple would be trying to buy Canon is if it had some kind of game changing technology but given the market cap of Canon I doubt it.

The Brit that ran Sony for a number of years was brought in to force change at a time Sony was struggling, he did the dirty work and then it reverted to Japanese management. A Brit was brought in to run Olympus, he uncovered malpractice and downright corruption and was sacked for making it public and Sony now have a share holding in Olympus as part of a rescue plan.

Upvote 0