Possible Confirmation of Takeover Talks Between Apple and Canon !!!

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
HarryFilm said:
In terms of horsepower, the A-series Apple are a MONSTER STEP above the Canon DIGIC series (which have the SAME ARM-base!) -- Put an Apple A10/A11/A12 chip on a Canon 1DxMk3 and it would SING WONDERFULLY with 8k video at 120 fps! Battery life would suck though!

All the more reason to buy Tesla!

Apple was one of the three companies that founded ARM, so no surprise at their ongoing involvement with the chip architecture, though Apple sold their stake long ago. (And that's another example supporting my skepticism that Apple wants to own and run everything themselves.)

I'm not so sure about your battery comment, at least in less extreme situations. (And as I posted in a different context, the folks regularly doing out-of-the-ordinary things know who they are, and can afford an extra battery or two, battery packs, and even an AC converter.) Low power modes and cores are part of the design. Heat issues in a slim phone should give experience toward how to deal with them in a camera body.

More in character for Apple would be extensive cross-licensing with Canon, pretty much all of the benefits without the exposure of ownership and responsibility to manage. The (in)famous cross-licensing agreement with Microsoft might not be the pattern, but that benefited both companies, perhaps not so much in technology directly as in saving billions in legal fees, and the $150M investment gave Apple some fiscal credibility. People still recall that as MS's saving Apple's bacon, but even at the time that was chicken feed for Apple. It was enough to look good. The major benefits were behind the scenes. Gates came off looking like more of a good guy back before he was considered such by a lot of folk, and MS made some money off the investment, probably. We all won. Luckily, neither company had to run the other one.

Upvote 0
SRSW said:
This takeover would be incredible! Three possibilities - awesome products, No change, awful direct/products. Great read everyone.
Scott.

---

Well on Friday, June 15, 2018 Apple did SUDDENLY ANNOUNCE a megadeal with Oprah Winfre and her production company to supply original programming for iTunes and other Apple systems. In terms of money, it will be about a $500 million to $1.5 Billion dollars so it's a DROP IN THE BUCKET for Apple and is NOT what I was expecting....BUT then again ....in a few weeks maybe it WILL be announces that Apple is buying ALL of Canon ... or more likely Texas Instruments for between $25 Billion to $55 Billion !!!

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/celebrity/oprah-winfrey-signs-mega-deal-apple-original-programming-n883656

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
HarryFilm said:
SRSW said:
This takeover would be incredible! Three possibilities - awesome products, No change, awful direct/products. Great read everyone.
Scott.

---

Well on Friday, June 15, 2018 Apple did SUDDENLY ANNOUNCE a megadeal with Oprah Winfre and her production company to supply original programming for iTunes and other Apple systems. In terms of money, it will be about a $500 million to $1.5 Billion dollars so it's a DROP IN THE BUCKET for Apple and is NOT what I was expecting....BUT then again ....in a few weeks maybe it WILL be announces that Apple is buying ALL of Canon ... or more likely Texas Instruments for between $25 Billion to $55 Billion !!!

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/celebrity/oprah-winfrey-signs-mega-deal-apple-original-programming-n883656

I guess 'Oprah Winfrey' is an anagram of 'Canon' in Harryfilm world.....

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
HarryFilm said:
Well on Friday, June 15, 2018 Apple did SUDDENLY ANNOUNCE a megadeal with Oprah Winfre and her production company to supply original programming for iTunes and other Apple systems.

Did you miss AT&T merged with Time Warner? Disney and Comcast trying to buy 21st Century Fox? It's a big rush to vertical integration between content producers and delivery networks/devices, as Amazon and Netflix became also producers.

Nothing to do with Canon, which is a huge manufacturing company of imaging devices and other stuff. I don't think they need to buy Canon because they need more video cameras...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
jolyonralph said:
I'll believe there's something in the rumours the day that Canon release a Canon Connect app for the iPhone that actually works properly.
I just used it this week to download raw images from my SL2 to my iPhone and it worked fine. It is indeed a pain to setup, I last used Canon Connect to download images a few months ago, since I was on vacation last week, I used it to transfer images and edited them with Adobe Lightroom on my iPhone to post online. It worked again without any new setup. If the iPhone ever adapts NFC, then it can easily be setup.

Upvote 0
LDS said:
HarryFilm said:
Well on Friday, June 15, 2018 Apple did SUDDENLY ANNOUNCE a megadeal with Oprah Winfre and her production company to supply original programming for iTunes and other Apple systems.

Did you miss AT&T merged with Time Warner? Disney and Comcast trying to buy 21st Century Fox? It's a big rush to vertical integration between content producers and delivery networks/devices, as Amazon and Netflix became also producers.

Nothing to do with Canon, which is a huge manufacturing company of imaging devices and other stuff. I don't think they need to buy Canon because they need more video cameras...

Apple would buy Canon NOT for the Lenses, Cameras and CPS products....They would buy Canon for its Precision Optics used in microcircuit manufacture. Canon is number two in the world (after a Netherlands company) for providing systems that do Quality Assurance, chip mask-etching and machine vision systems for other companies who do chipmaking. Apple would like to take their ENTIRE CPU/GPU and RAM memory production inhouse and back onshore to the USA to get away from massive new tariffs, and it looks like Utah, Nevada and Idaho are the front-runner states for having a U.S.-based manufacturing arm for it's chips.

Canon ALSO HAS Quantum Dot patents for very high end display technologies and even a replacement for Corning's Gorilla Glass! This would allow 4K and 8K screens for Apples upcoming supersmart 4k/8k consumer TV's, 8k+ computer displays and iPhones/iPads.

Apple can easily afford Canon $55 Billion U.S. price tag AND in addition Apple would get to put an Apple-logo on world-class DLSR's, Lenses, Pro Video systems, consumer point'n'shoots, high end printers and of course, Large Sensor Smartphones!

The only other companies that make sense for Apple to buy after Canon are Micron Technologies for 3D-stacked NAND memory and Texas Instruments for CPU/GPU chip production capacity.

Anyways, this recent Oprah Winfrew production deal by Apple is just a drop in the bucket for Apple probably worth less than $1.5 Billion US! ...BUT....since this is a CONTENT-related purchase it must means some NEW HARDWARE is coming down the line so I suspect we are getting a new 42", 65" and 83" or large iTunes/Siri enabled 4k and/or 8k consumer TVs that are PROBABLY going to be Quantum Dot technology which means I am beginning to believe Apple has ALREADY signed a secret deal for panel manufacturing and I would NOT be surprised to see that Apple has bought some Canon patents or is in agreement to purchase a Canon division OR maybe even the WHOLE COMPANY of Canon !!!

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Apple have been negotiating with LG its monitor supplier about production of OLED panels for iPhones currently the iPhone 10 uses a Samsung screen and as we know they dont have the best of relationships.
Canon Tokki Corp. part of Canon manufactures the OLED manufacturing cells and LG wanted upfront payments from Apple to make this investment which is considerable.

Thats called business not an acquisition.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
AlanF said:
cayenne said:
Azathoth said:
Please no. If i see a apple logo in a Canon camera i'll switch to another brand. ;)

What?

You no like the iCannon? i5DV ?

Canon iRumors?

Your flashing avatar is horrible.

What do you expect, it's iCandy :)

Upvote 0