Post photos of other photographers in action

privatebydesign said:
Ha, the old modular Nikon 1200mm f11, haven't seen one of hem for a long time!

It is interesting how closely Nikon and Canon development has tracked, for years both companies had their super telephoto lenses as modular components. Then the EF 1200 f5.6 (which started as rebodied FD 1200mm with internal slide in 1.4TC's but had the TC removed and AF put in) and Nikon 1200-1700 zoom were the final shots in the focal length arms race.

Is that what it is? I had no clue, thanks! My best guess was he had some sort of telescope attached to his camera. As soon as saw it I snapped a pic and the guy saw me and posed with it (top image). I probably should've went over and talked to him!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Zv said:
privatebydesign said:
Ha, the old modular Nikon 1200mm f11, haven't seen one of hem for a long time!

It is interesting how closely Nikon and Canon development has tracked, for years both companies had their super telephoto lenses as modular components. Then the EF 1200 f5.6 (which started as rebodied FD 1200mm with internal slide in 1.4TC's but had the TC removed and AF put in) and Nikon 1200-1700 zoom were the final shots in the focal length arms race.

Is that what it is? I had no clue, thanks! My best guess was he had some sort of telescope attached to his camera. As soon as saw it I snapped a pic and the guy saw me and posed with it (top image). I probably should've went over and talked to him!

Yes it is the later style AU-1 focusing unit matched to one of several possible versions of the 1200mm f11 lens section.

They were very expensive lenses back in the late '60's and (this version from) the mid '70's, they still command decent prices in good condition on the used market because, unlike the Canon FL and FD lenses of the same era, they can be used without modification on current Nikon DSLR's.

Here is a great link, https://nikonandye.wordpress.com/lenses/nikkor-tele-heads-and-ais-1200mm11-if-ed/

Upvote 0