Post your best portraits(street, studio, candid etc...).

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
Not that I can compete with the works of LostArk, Harry Muff, Pookie, Eldar or Viggo (just to name a few of my faves from this thread) but I still feel this one fits well with the theme:

Light: 2'x2' softbox for key at f/6.3, feathered past face, bottom edge at roughly mouth height to get softer roll off and some light under cap. 1'x5' strip box for rim at f/5.6. Speedlight with omnibounce for background at f/6.3.

Upvote 0
P

Pookie

hne said:
Not that I can compete with the works of LostArk, Harry Muff, Pookie, Eldar or Viggo (just to name a few of my faves from this thread) but I still feel this one fits well with the theme:

Light: 2'x2' softbox for key at f/6.3, feathered past face, bottom edge at roughly mouth height to get softer roll off and some light under cap. 1'x5' strip box for rim at f/5.6. Speedlight with omnibounce for background at f/6.3.

Diggin the vibe here hne...

One more from my Grog Shop shoot...

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
hne said:

Superb shot, great light control. Love how you include the softbox on the glasses, gives the right structural feel. Also nice job on keeping the nose shadow while still getting light under the hat.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Another 2 minute portrait of my daughter. She had such nice curls today, so I put up my IKEA curtain, drop the lamp and it literally took two minutes from when I started to hang the curtain until we were done. Because if I'm any slower, she won't allow any shots, lol :p
m61%20copy_fb.jpg

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Viggo said:
Thanks Click and Eldar!

Yes, it's the Softlighter White, I have considered buying the see through deflector to get rid of the dark center, but it crisps up the light as well, and I really don't want that. I have tried cloning it away, but not very good at it, so I just leave it :p

You will always have difficulty cloning a spherical object, the eyeball, far better to do a masked curves adjustment. Doing this maintains the shape and the detail of the eyelashes in the reflection too.

In some situations the shower cap does a reasonable job of reducing the center dark spot without making the light edgier/crisper.

Attachments

• m61-copy_fb.jpg
    m61-copy_fb.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 175
Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
Viggo said:
hne said:

Superb shot, great light control. Love how you include the softbox on the glasses, gives the right structural feel. Also nice job on keeping the nose shadow while still getting light under the hat.

Thank you! It is really valuable to hear what others see as good (or improvable) parts of your creative works.

Regarding your child portrait, I must say that I would consider getting a shot like that a winner one.

I really like the way you used the directionality of light to show the shape of those cheeks. What I personally would try to improve is the shadow side being rather dark. The background is mostly black and it looks like your setup might be hand-held which might make it a quick option to use a nearby white/bright wall/door for fill reflector and getting your dark background by just using inverse square law. Might require mighty black-out curtains for that kind of DOF, though...

On a slightly related topic: I've convinced my children there's a fun make-believe theme called "photographer", which incorporates setting up 2-3 light stands, camera on a tripod and a backdrop, then taking turns doing silly faces, pushing shutter button, lots of flashing lights and generally having a laugh. Then it's time to pack down. Ususally I end up with a few surprisingly usable pictures. I also get help (dis)assembling softboxes and keeping track of power cords. Probably works best with children around 3-5 yo, though.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
hne said:
Viggo said:
hne said:

Thank you! It is really valuable to hear what others see as good (or improvable) parts of your creative works.

Regarding your child portrait, I must say that I would consider getting a shot like that a winner one.

I really like the way you used the directionality of light to show the shape of those cheeks. What I personally would try to improve is the shadow side being rather dark. The background is mostly black and it looks like your setup might be hand-held which might make it a quick option to use a nearby white/bright wall/door for fill reflector and getting your dark background by just using inverse square law. Might require mighty black-out curtains for that kind of DOF, though...

On a slightly related topic: I've convinced my children there's a fun make-believe theme called "photographer", which incorporates setting up 2-3 light stands, camera on a tripod and a backdrop, then taking turns doing silly faces, pushing shutter button, lots of flashing lights and generally having a laugh. Then it's time to pack down. Ususally I end up with a few surprisingly usable pictures. I also get help (dis)assembling softboxes and keeping track of power cords. Probably works best with children around 3-5 yo, though.

Agreed with the rather dark shadowside. This was just reeeaally quick shot. For the more planned ones I go outside and use the sun as edge light quite often. I have a stripbox with grid, and the speedlite speedring for Profoto, I only lack the actual speedlite :p :p I most often use the gray curtain, not the black one that helps the shadowside. The colors pop more with the darker background.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Eldar said:
Nice Viggo, think I can see the Profoto Beauty dish in her eyes ;)

Here´s my wife, ready for a relaxing afternoon after a good day of skiing.

Hasselblad H6D, 120mm f4 Macro II

That image has excellent resolution and sharpness, and you wife stands up to that degree of resolution very well. However I have found without exception that any woman I photograph over the age of about eighteen demands that the images are softened ! Indeed as the ladies get older it is demanded that I produce the "Star-Trek female close-up shot" degree of softness ! (Apologies if you've never seen Star-Trek, the original series ;) )

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
Eldar said:
Nice Viggo, think I can see the Profoto Beauty dish in her eyes ;)

Here´s my wife, ready for a relaxing afternoon after a good day of skiing.

Hasselblad H6D, 120mm f4 Macro II

That image has excellent resolution and sharpness, and you wife stands up to that degree of resolution very well. However I have found without exception that any woman I photograph over the age of about eighteen demands that the images are softened ! Indeed as the ladies get older it is demanded that I produce the "Star-Trek female close-up shot" degree of softness ! (Apologies if you've never seen Star-Trek, the original series ;) )
Yes Miles, I believe you are right. My wife is an exception. She knows what she looks like and accepts that ... and so do I :)

The H6D 100c´s resolution is simply crazy and it reveals every single imperfection there is. However, I really enjoy working with that resolution, combined with 16 bit colour depth and 15 stops of DR. It is far behind the likes of Canon when it comes to AF and any form of speed. So I believe the only use I will give it is (very) slow photography, preferably on a tripod, even though it is surprisingly simple to hand hold.

And yes, I am old enough to have seen the original Star-Trek ;)

Upvote 0