Post your HDR images:

Horseshoe Bend in Page, AZ. Photos were taken on October 14th last year at around 9:30am.
Details: Canon 5D3 and 17-40mm f/4L at 20mm. Three RAW shots at f/8: 1/30s, 1/125s, and 1/500s.
Merged using DPP and just tweaked a little - I like taking pictures, not PPing :)

Attachments

• horseshow_bend_hdr.jpg
    horseshow_bend_hdr.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,485
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
A little experiment in trying to match the overall luminance of the scene to how we actually see things.

The harshness in the neck hood is because the damn horse wouldn't keep still long enough for the drive of a 5D ::)
so I had to use part of another frame.

Attachments

• Eye's View HDR.jpg
    Eye's View HDR.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,400
Upvote 0
It took me a while before I got him to stop moving his ears.

2738399193_3848604f04_o.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29321561@N06/2738399193/#

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
ankorwatt said:
Raw , one exposure, d800+200/2.0 at 4.0
ankorwatt said:
Great picture! I like the orangish tone. However, and I am sure you figured that there was going to be a "however"... :)

The sun is on the first third (from the left), the first building (from the left) that has a chimney starts on the next third, the horizon is smack-bam right in the center! The top member of the bridge forms a boring straight line that runs along with the horizon. So what is it that you are trying to convey pictorially, except for the colour orange? And there are these branches on the top to the right of the picture - they distract me.

I was not there, hence, I could be very off in my suggestion. However (yes, another count of that word...), if I were you, I would go further up, past the bridge, then frame the picture without the chimneys and with the sun on either the first or second one-thirds position. AND the horizon would not be ambivalent - 50-50. It would frame either more sky, or water depending on what looked better.

But then that is just me...

I hope that helps.

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
ankorwatt said:
well It was not about the motive , it was about that you can dig out information from one raw file with out banding and noise.
Sorry, I thought you were sharing a picture you made. My mistake... Please convey it to the photographer. I think he could learn and deliver great stuff if only he figured out geometry (3D geometry)...

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
ankorwatt said:
well It was not about the motive, its a bridge against the sun , it was about that I can dig out information from one raw file from sun into shadows with out banding and noise in the shadows. You need two different exposure to do the same with a Canon, I can do it hand held you must use a tripod.

Oh no :-\

Here we go again. You don't honestly think the picture you've posted can technically compete with some of the competent HDR images posted on this thread do you ?

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
ankorwatt said:
Sporgon said:
ankorwatt said:
well It was not about the motive, its a bridge against the sun , it was about that I can dig out information from one raw file from sun into shadows with out banding and noise in the shadows. You need two different exposure to do the same with a Canon, I can do it hand held you must use a tripod.

Oh no :-\

Here we go again. You don't honestly think the picture you've posted can technically compete with some of the competent HDR images posted on this thread do you ?

did I say that?
how do you think a competent HDR picture from a d800 looks with 14 stops DR to chose from and the same approach?
Please , Keep apart what we are discussing and showing.

This thread's about HDR. You're single frame picture isn't actually 'HDR' in this context.

However your post does show that even when using a D800, a single frame exposure in extreme EV range is no match for well blended bracketed exposures, so from that point it's quite useful.

When blending multiple exposures 14 stops of DR has no advantage over anything else anyway.

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
ankorwatt said:
possible, but you can make/develope two copies from the same raw file/exposure , one after highlights and one after the shadows and blend them, handhold and no worry about the subject moving or not.
Have to be a blistering fast shutter speed, I believe I've seen it done but the tripod is most certainly the option to go with!

Upvote 0
ankorwatt said:

The DR of the D800 and Sony sensor is well known, however, I don't think this qualifies as HDR. I get that there is no noise or banding, but there's also no detail. It's out of focus mush. Again, technically it's a nice piece of kit, but there is no interest in the shadow area that was lifted (a common theme I remember seeing from a lot of people when the D800 was first released). The interest of the photo, IMO, is the beautiful orange color of the sun and sky. It's a nice photo which could have benefited from the use of bracketing and a tripod.

Upvote 0
ankorwatt said:
well It was not about the motive, its a bridge against the sun, nothing fancy . It more about that I can dig out information from one raw file from sun into shadows with out banding and noise in the shadows. You need two different exposure to do the same with a Canon, I can do it hand held, you must use a tripod. This file are now saved 4 times as a JPG =not optimal.

Ahh and all hope that this thread wouldn't be hijacked by the dynamic range discussion is gone. Please try not to ruin this thread like you have ruined many others...

If you have hdr pictures to post, this is the place to post them. Take the dr discussion elsewhere.

Upvote 0